General Gaming Thread - 2022

RPS

My daughter was home from school today. She wanted to play a game. She had talked about FNAF and Undertale as the games she has heard about at school. So I put it on. I always marvel at how Undertale absolutely nails everything. The music is exceptional. The humor hits regardless of age. There are lots of funny moments of absurdity through the game but not so many that it is overwhelming.

• Like 4

Finally come around to the idea that I might want a PS5, so have embarked on the task of signing up to whatever stock alert thingies I can find. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll have one by my birthday (in June).

My understanding (and this might just be for the US) is that the stock availability has gotten a little better and inventory of every drop isn't being snatched up in a matter of seconds.

The damn bots I'm sure still absolutely suck but many retailers have wised up to them due to criticism and are better at creating hurdles for bots.

On 14/03/2022 at 09:33, stokeriño said:

Finally come around to the idea that I might want a PS5, so have embarked on the task of signing up to whatever stock alert thingies I can find. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll have one by my birthday (in June).

I did the same thing. Weirdly the way I found one was a friend who called a little drug store in our area randomly for something and since she had gotten her husbands PS5 there several months ago and knew I was looking for one, just randomly asked if they had gotten one in stock. Surprisingly they had. So yeah, even though you sign up for those, I would probably reccommend giving some small shops in your area a call every couple of days. You might be surprised where you'd find one in stock.

2 hours ago, Forky said:

I did the same thing. Weirdly the way I found one was a friend who called a little drug store in our area randomly for something and since she had gotten her husbands PS5 there several months ago and knew I was looking for one, just randomly asked if they had gotten one in stock. Surprisingly they had. So yeah, even though you sign up for those, I would probably reccommend giving some small shops in your area a call every couple of days. You might be surprised where you'd find one in stock.

Lord knows if there are even any small shops that would apply around here - seems like it's all big chains and the odd newsagent. 😅 But thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

On 14/03/2022 at 15:38, Bobfoc said:

I see there's a showcase for that new Harry Potter game on Thursday. I can't say I'm interested, but a lot of other people will be.

If anything I'm more interested, if they didn't think it was gonna be good why wouldn't they just bury it in the other showcase they did recently?

Just want the release date tbh.

2 hours ago, My Chemical JeRomance said:

If anything I'm more interested, if they didn't think it was gonna be good why wouldn't they just bury it in the other showcase they did recently?

Mostly because the recent showcase focused on Japanese-published games.

In any case, I wouldn't make strong assumptions on its quality based on the fact that it's getting its own showcase. It's a game that will do well commercially and Sony getting the chance to show it off first probably has a lot to do with it.

Have apparently managed to pre-order a PS5 bundle through GAME... Would have preferred not to be encumbered with a bundle (essentially paying £140 for two games that I could buy separately for a total of £120...one of which I don't even want), but bit the bullet as it seems that retailers are being incredibly reluctant to sell the consoles separately. I guess I can sell the game and get a bit of the cash back, but whatever.

• Like 1

We got our first two bundles from GAME originally, and yeah, it's sucky that you tend to pay £100 more for shit you don't want. In our case, the console we picked up for my nephew had a cheap generic Player 1 t-shirt he'll never wear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Mostly because the recent showcase focused on Japanese-published games.

In any case, I wouldn't make strong assumptions on its quality based on the fact that it's getting its own showcase. It's a game that will do well commercially and Sony getting the chance to show it off first probably has a lot to do with it.

I need it to be good. It's one of the only fantasy worlds that I'm invested in. :( I guess Lord of The Rings as well but they've got two decently good games already.

• Like 1

This was announced today at the ID@Xbox showcase. It’s coming to pretty much every platform. Jeff Jarrett and Booker T were on the “panel” after the trailer, along with the head of the studio.

• Like 2

I just realized a game I want. I want a new school Double Dragon game. I played so much of the NES/SNES games. I know they did versions for the PS4 that looked a lot like the old games....but I want story...I want updated graphics. I want the world damn it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forky said:

I just realized a game I want. I want a new school Double Dragon game. I played so much of the NES/SNES games. I know they did versions for the PS4 that looked a lot like the old games....but I want story...I want updated graphics. I want the world damn it!

I mean. It doesn’t exactly have deep lore.