The January Transfer Window - 2023

Baddar

The thing with Mudryk is its a stupidly high priced deal for someone who let's be honest a lot of people won't have heard of but that was the asking price. 

Arsenal can moan about Chelsea "stealing him" but end of the day they put the acceptable offer in and end of the day Mudryk signed a deal so if he was so desperate to join Arsenal he could have rejected the contract offer. 

Its also sometimes teams move quicker because of interest of others. We got Luis Diaz done over the line quickly last January because Tottenham put a bid in and we were hoping to get him in the January and Porto needed the money. It's the same with Gakpo, PSV needed the money and the timing was right for us to get him in that sense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

Leeds broke their transfer record on Georgino Rutter from Hoffenheim. Around £30 million for a 20 year old striker who has loads of potential, but hasn't really set the Bundesliga alight or anything. 

I get Leeds board have a clear strategy of wanting to buy young players that they can then sell on a profit, but you also need to buy players that will definitely come in and make a difference. I guess he's an upgrade over Bamford since he's either injured or playing terrible, but still, feel like buying some proven quality might help to make sure they don't get relegated.

Also, maybe buying an actual CB because my goodness are they all terrible.

I mean I'm not defending our defenders (pun not intended) because they're not great, but they're not terrible either. We're just tactically fucking awful, we invite so much pressure down the wings because we play so narrow, then when a team cuts inside in the final third if they're not cut out by Adams, it's so easy to draw players out of position and make space. On top of that their confidence is absolutely fucking shot, probably because they know that the tactics make it that they're so easy to walk through.

At least under Bielsa the space was largely the because of over commitment (and in the last season because there was a lack of leadership on the field to have the nous to swap men and lack of leadership is still somewhat a problem admittedly). Under Jeremy Kyle the space is there because the tactics are so easy to play against.

As for Rutter, yeah, it is our policy in large but also "just get a goalscorer" isn't the answer, Rodrigo is like 5th in the league. What we need in a striker is someone to press from the front and run into the channels when going forward to create space for the other forward players. That's why Bamford was so crucial to our system even when he was out of form. To get someone who can do that, can score goals and is proven will cost more than we can afford even if the 49ers are the ones funding us. If Rutter does press and run into channels effectively and doesn't score a single goal, he'll still be worth it because he'll probably get an extra 15-20 out of the 3 behind him which Rodrigo doesn't.

Leeds broke their transfer record on Georgino Rutter from Hoffenheim. Around £30 million for a 20 year old striker who has loads of potential, but hasn't really set the Bundesliga alight or anything. 

I get Leeds board have a clear strategy of wanting to buy young players that they can then sell on a profit, but you also need to buy players that will definitely come in and make a difference. I guess he's an upgrade over Bamford since he's either injured or playing terrible, but still, feel like buying some proven quality might help to make sure they don't get relegated.

I mean I'm not defending our defenders (pun not intended) because they're not great, but they're not terrible either. We're just tactically fucking awful, we invite so much pressure down the wings because we play so narrow, then when a team cuts inside in the final third if they're not cut out by Adams, it's so easy to draw players out of position and make space. On top of that their confidence is absolutely fucking shot, probably because they know that the tactics make it that they're so easy to walk through.

At least under Bielsa the space was largely the because of over commitment (and in the last season because there was a lack of leadership on the field to have the nous to swap men and lack of leadership is still somewhat a problem admittedly). Under Jeremy Kyle the space is there because the tactics are so easy to play against.

As for Rutter, yeah, it is our policy in large but also "just get a goalscorer" isn't the answer, Rodrigo is like 5th in the league. What we need in a striker is someone to press from the front and run into the channels when going forward to create space for the other forward players. That's why Bamford was so crucial to our system even when he was out of form. To get someone who can do that, can score goals and is proven will cost more than we can afford even if the 49ers are the ones funding us. If Rutter does press and run into channels effectively and doesn't score a single goal, he'll still be worth it because he'll probably get an extra 15-20 out of the 3 behind him which Rodrigo doesn't.

@Matt Not sure you got your point across 

26 minutes ago, Colly said:

I don't think Arsenal are moaning though, we just have this weird need to fit extra narrative to everything in football to fill the news cycle.

This - the only people “moaning” are the usual weirdos on Twitter etc. 

Sure, it’s a real disappointment but you move on. Several Arsenal outlets have pointed out the players we’ve missed out on and signed instead. It’s not the end of the world. We missed out on Martinez, we got Zinchenko. We missed out on Vlahovic, we got Jesus. We missed out on Kounde, we got White and we missed out on Raya, we got Ramsdale.

You don’t always sign your first choice targets, it’s a part of football. The thing about this I find the most amusing though is the fact Mudryk himself was openly flirting with moving to Arsenal for the best part of two months so you know that some part of him is at least a little disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, FLiam said:

@Matt Not sure you got your point across 

This - the only people “moaning” are the usual weirdos on Twitter etc. 

Sure, it’s a real disappointment but you move on. Several Arsenal outlets have pointed out the players we’ve missed out on and signed instead. It’s not the end of the world. We missed out on Martinez, we got Zinchenko. We missed out on Vlahovic, we got Jesus. We missed out on Kounde, we got White and we missed out on Raya, we got Ramsdale.

You don’t always sign your first choice targets, it’s a part of football. The thing about this I find the most amusing though is the fact Mudryk himself was openly flirting with moving to Arsenal for the best part of two months so you know that some part of him is at least a little disappointed.

It was an important point, I needed to make it 5 times

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

It was an important point, I needed to make it 5 times

I do think you make a very good point about Rutter's potential work rate being a huge help for Leeds and creating more chances for Rodrigo. Gnoto has been pretty exceptional at doing that, but a second runner will be good for Leeds.

I still think you're entirely irrational about Jesse Marsch though 🤣 I personally think he's not anywhere near as good as Americans think and do believe he should be sacked it results persist as they are. But holy heck man, did he John Terry your wife or something? 🤣

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baddar said:

Memphis to Atletico too. Is he out of contract in the summer? Because although Spanish sides often do one another a favour, a couple of million quid is still cheap.

Yeah contract is up so probably explains the low fee. 

I was looking at that site just now!

Gabor Kiraly had stints at all three clubs. Played for Villa and Burnley, but only a two week loan stint at West Ham where he was a substitute three times but never played.

Hes also a goalkeeper so never wore the claret and blue for any of them anyway!

Edited by Twist
  • Like 1

I think he’ll do a decent enough job. He can cover across the front line. We could do worse. I don’t have any real issues with it to be honest, he has PL experience which is a bonus and would think he would up his game even more being at a side chasing the title.