The January Transfer Window - 2023

Baddar

2 hours ago, Naitch said:

It certainly paints Arsenal's disdain for Chelsea "sniping" the deal from under them into a different light.

Does it? Bar the "tapping up" which we all know isn't even notable these days all Chelsea have done is given Shakhtar a better deal.

I won't defend Chelsea's questionable transfer activity in general but it does seem like Arsenal (their fans, especially) are looking for any excuse to complain right now. I've already seen multiple statements pre-emptively criticising Chelsea for stealing Declan Rice away from them, even though we've been linked with him for about three years while they've only had reports of interest in him in the last day or so.

It's all a bit Levy really isn't it. Team sets asking price, are up front about their requests and you stand around haggling over (for these teams) small change. I know teams can take the piss but you want the bloke, give them what they want. If the player is that key to your plans in the future you'll more than make up the difference of any haggling.

• Like 2

But clearly Arsenal didn't think he was worth what Chelsea have thrown at him, and the fact that fans may be whinging doesn't change that. There's being tight and there's having a sensible transfer strategy, and Chelsea buying their 11th attacking midfielder certainly isn't that.

• Like 1

Leeds broke their transfer record on Georgino Rutter from Hoffenheim. Around £30 million for a 20 year old striker who has loads of potential, but hasn't really set the Bundesliga alight or anything. 

I get Leeds board have a clear strategy of wanting to buy young players that they can then sell on a profit, but you also need to buy players that will definitely come in and make a difference. I guess he's an upgrade over Bamford since he's either injured or playing terrible, but still, feel like buying some proven quality might help to make sure they don't get relegated.

Also, maybe buying an actual CB because my goodness are they all terrible.