General Television Thread 2023

16 hours ago, Benji said:

Decided the lack of reaction and poor reviews said enough to not give it a shot :lol:

Instead, I'm finishing Westworld since I never got around to season four. I'm three episodes in and have just accepted that it's one of the best made shows that I've been entirely lost who's good, who's bad, and what the fuck is going on in for four seasons.

Is it worth it? I loved the first one, sort of enjoyed the second, then completely hate watched the third as I found it awful. I had no interest in any of the characters, largely for exactly your reasons. 

I mean, it's no worse than season three but I'm more finishing it for the sake of saying it's finished at this point. I think it got a bit too far up its own arse and went too deep in the "everyone can be a duplicate and whose side is this person on" bullshittery, but it's visually pretty and is good enough popcorn at this point since I don't really feel like I'm able to follow it totally.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Benji said:

Continuing on Spin City and Stephen Colbert just turned up!

Edit: And now Jennifer Garner in same episode!

I started this a few weeks ago after watching the Fox documentary. 

I have found myself constantly watching what he does with his left arm though and it’s now so obvious in hindsight that he’s trying his best to hide his condition. So sad really.

Top show though.  

41 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Watched the first episode back from Futurama. Woof. I think I chuckled three times, maybe?

They seem to have to have a shitty episode where they make endless joke about their renewal with every revival, I gave it a pass for them to get them out of their system.

• Like 1

Somebody Somewhere season 2 is really great and interesting concept. Shows are often so much about romantic love. Often the love on TV is presented as completely functional, even when some of the actions and characters themselves in real life would be dysfunctional. 

Somebody Somewhere wants to explore platonic love between Joel and Sam. But I think what it does is take those potentially toxic traits and exposes the dysfunction. You hear on TV people say "I would do anything for you". It's actually a quite toxic idea when you just think about it for a minute. Now what if you say that and later fail to pick up the phone when your friend is in a place where they need you? Did they fail you? 

It really explores co dependence in an interesting way. Also Fred (Murray Hill) deserves an Emmy. Lifts every scene he is in. 

Fair play to Westworld, mid to second half of season four is fairly solid. Not hit the end yet, and it's never hit the strides if season one, but it's closing well enough. Hoping it sticks the landing given it was cancelled without its final season.

EDIT: Yeah, that's as good a finale as you're going to get with a cancelled show. Solid close that makes me wish we got season 5 to finish the intended story, but satisfied with how it ended.

6 hours ago, Benji said:

Fair play to Westworld, mid to second half of season four is fairly solid. Not hit the end yet, and it's never hit the strides if season one, but it's closing well enough. Hoping it sticks the landing given it was cancelled without its final season.

EDIT: Yeah, that's as good a finale as you're going to get with a cancelled show. Solid close that makes me wish we got season 5 to finish the intended story, but satisfied with how it ended.

I seem to recall reading, shortly after it aired, that they wrote the end of season four as a "soft finale". Basically wrapping up enough you could see a clean conclusion, even if the ending did also have a bridge to what would be the central events of season five.

It was a show that struggled mightily more than once and got bogged down in needing to constantly twist and turn, but had some very thoughtful philosophy that ran through a lot of it. They clearly put a lot of thought into that.

• Like 1

Tacoma FD has had its first three episodes of season 4.

One of the main cast members left before this season and I am not sure I like his replacement. Maybe it will come together in time but I felt as though the original cast had great chemistry with each other and so far it has felt a little off with the new guy. We'll see how it goes, though.

I’m about half-way through season four of True Blood and am a bit annoyed with myself that I seem to enjoy it so much. :lol:

The whole thing is ridiculous really but I am a big fan of how self-aware the show is. For example, Jason’s whole character and arc is over-the-top nonsense for the most part but it’s clearly meant to be that way. 

I also loved Sooki (?) mocking the way Bill says her name in a scene at one point - adding to said self-awareness.

Eric Northman is great too.

• Like 1

Oh God, True Blood is my absolute guilty pleasure. It gets so fucking bad, but I could not stop watching.

Tara is honestly the absolute most unbearable character I've ever seen on TV that wasn't supposed to be, which is entirely the writing because she appears in other shows and is amazing (in particular in Hannibal).

7 hours ago, damhausen said:

All time final sequence in What We Do in the Shadows this week.

So much good stuff!  Nandor De Laurentiis, Laszlo reading the sports news...all so good