Summer Transfer Window 2023

Lineker

27 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Depresses me that Arsenal just go and drop 150+ mil on two players after missing out on the title. 

Year we won the Champions League we got Adrian, Harvey Elliott and Sepp Van Der Berg...

The year after we signed Adrian, Harvey Elliott and Sepp van der Berg we were England, European and World Champions. While winning 34 out of 38 games in the league.

That was much nicer than likely overspending on Declan Rice.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hobo said:

The year after we signed Adrian, Harvey Elliott and Sepp van der Berg we were England, European and World Champions. While winning 34 out of 38 games in the league.

That was much nicer than likely overspending on Declan Rice.

Very true but at the same time it's showing that Arsenal are trying to strengthen from a position of nearly missing out on the title think that's my issue with us the past few seasons and rightfully so given the midfield situation which then turned into let's panic loan in a guy who will play about 20 minutes against someone in the league Cup and a sub appearance against Napoli. 

I'd look at this season just gone for Liverpool more result of the previous season being so intensely packed with games, Paris, injuries and the impact of a mid season world cup than not signing <insert midfielder here>.

Could an extra body have helped? Possibly. However the club wasn't functioning at its best and no one player was going to fix that.

With Arsenal, I'd see a lot more comparisons to 13/14 Liverpool. I think a team that unexpectedly goes close to but doesn't win a league is in a really tough spot. I could be wrong and Arsenal will have a great season next year. Still, repeating a year where you likely over performed isn't easy no matter who you sign.

Whereas I would argue in 2019, Liverpool were in a much stronger overall position and didnt need to go out and spend huge money.

There's too much emphasis placed on the curative powers of simply throwing money around on players almost just to to be seen to be doing it.

I don’t really get the Liverpool are such little paupers line here. The year Liverpool won the champions league they got Alisson, Fabinho and Naby Keita for a combined £180 mil and spend 80 odd million on Van Dijk the previous January window. It wasn’t just a team built from a bunch of dweebs picked up for nothing.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

I don’t really get the Liverpool are such little paupers line here. The year Liverpool won the champions league they got Alisson, Fabinho and Naby Keita for a combined £180 mil and spend 80 odd million on Van Dijk the previous January window. It wasn’t just a team built from a bunch of dweebs picked up for nothing.

The January we got Van Dijk we'd sold Coutinho for stupid stupid money and had still sold more than we spent. It's not about the spending money or being "paupers" that's not the argument, for me its more around squad planning. The year we somehow finished 3rd despite having to play Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams at centre back for the back end of the season after having tried Henderson/Fabinho at centre back at times was due to not getting a centre back in after letting Lovren leave. We end up getting a centre back in Konate the following season. 

I get the argument of we played virtually every game when we won the double last season but even going into that season I still felt we needed another body in midfield given Chamberlain/Keita's injury records and us letting Gini who never appeared to get injured go. 

56 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Be an excellent signing for Villa if they can pull it off 

That's such an absurd amount of money on a player who has 12 months left on his contract. British tax and all that, but goodness that's a ridiculous gamble when United apparently have a limited budget this summer.

Well at least that (probably) hasn't dragged on into August. Now we just need to rebuild our midfield.

In the old Chelsea regime, I'd expect them to just turn up one day and say "by the way we've agreed a deal for Player X, who wasn't rumoured before now but that's because Marina Granovskaia handles everything and she doesn't talk to random journos". I don't know what to expect from the current regime (fingers crossed that they're no longer scanning Twitter for targets) and only Caicedo has really been linked, so we'll see.

5 hours ago, METALMAN said:

That's true.

I would imagine it is why in the summer of 2019 the club didn't figure it needed to bring in any new first-team players and just bought a backup goalie and some kids. They had everyone they needed.

There is a school of thought that the club didn't continuously invest enough in certain parts of the squad properly enough but I think there's also an element of people behind the scenes thinking they didn't need to just yet. Or that they'd sorted the injury problems that kept certain players out. It didn't exactly work that way. (Personally, I think they should've held on to fringe to the likes of Minamino and Origi a little while longer but I assume they wanted to go)

Liverpool can and do spend big but it always seems to be with the caveat of being almost hyper focussed on who they want to spend the money on. So it becomes a case of all or nothing sometimes. As opposed to, say, when Benitez was the manager and he'd bring in a Jan Kromkamp type to do a job and then sell him on with a year.