Summer Transfer Window 2023

Lineker

I doubt you'll see a "all teams are owned by nation states" situation but the days of sport-first owners, who make one big splashy purchase with their wealth and it's a sports team, are probably numbered. At least at the very top levels. Wrexham is more the "future model" for individuals/partnerships who want to use sports as an appreciable asset.

You'll just have these massive, faceless orgs/holding companies with money from everyone and everywhere adding sports to "their portfolios" that also have interests in a South African telecom company and a mine in Kazakhstan. Some will be nation states, some will be oligarchs, most I suspect will just be a lot of people pooling together money all at once. It's very hard to come down on outside of stricter global regulations, which most people don't want to do even in the face of what's been a retreat from post-Cold War globalization.

Boehly and co. are actually a fantastic example of what the real future of sports team ownership probably resembles. It's already becoming the case in the US with NFL teams going for over $6 billion.

"Arteta wants to sign an attacking player who doesn't score goals or provide assists, and would require the entire team's tactics/formation to change, in order for him to fit in."

Makes sense.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hobo said:

how long before he moves to Saudi Arabia?

aaaaaand he's gone.

• Like 2

First day of Chelsea pre-season training is just going to be Poch and Nkunku wandering around Cobham, trying to work out how the coffee machine works.

• Haha 1

I imagine that will be a double swoop with that Ronaldo loan we were apparently going to do in January...

2 hours ago, Gazz said:

First day of Chelsea pre-season training is just going to be Poch and Nkunku wandering around Cobham, trying to work out how the coffee machine works.

Joey Barton might be able to show them, or lend the one he had at Rangers.

Chelsea is going to be a ghost town. A lot of exits. Which you can understand with a change of manager. Wonder if United will manage to get Mount, along with Kane.