Summer Transfer Window 2023

Lineker

I've never thought for a second of Fab as a journalist. He's just the guy the agents and players go to with the breaking news, as he's willing to be their mouthpiece to get their preferred skew of the reporting out. There seemed to be a lack of reporters like that with the transfer market and football news overall for a long time, so it's no surprise someone dropped down to the level of an Adam Schefter or Shams Charania. It's reporting for the social media and 24 hour news age.

Her points are good, but if not Fab it would inevitably be someone else. It's unavoidable and inescapable with the way communication has evolved over the past decade.

• Like 2

I think it was more gross how incredibly excited and loud the Getafe fans were to embrace him. I get he's to be a marquee signing for a small-ish (albeit still playing at the top of the Spanish football pyramid) team, but just kind of sad how people just don't give a shit about what he did just because he's been "proven" to be not guilty.

Even worse are the people who celebrate him because he has been allowed to come back after what he was exposed to do. 

I can forgive Getafe fans, in a general sense, for not knowing the full details surrounding Greenwood. The odds of it being as extensively reported on in Spain are low, particularly given the very concept of the ongoing Rubiales controversy showing that Spainish culture might not be as progressive when it comes to women's right, and the prospect of signing an "England international" from Man Utd sounds like a coup when your team is consistently fighting to avoid relegation.

What I can't forgive is the sheer amount of effort the club have demonstrably put into generating as much social media buzz from the signing as possible. Getafe's English language Twitter account is less than three months old, only became active a week ago, and has featured Greenwood about 80% of the time, spotlighting and idolising him in ways that make the marketing campaigns surrounding returning "club heroes" like Ronaldo and Bale look low key. It's dirty, and there's no way they don't know exactly what they're doing.

If Getafe's English Twitter account turned out to be a troll shitposting cybersquatter, I wouldn't be surprised. That's the level they're operating at.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, damhausen said:

I've never thought for a second of Fab as a journalist. He's just the guy the agents and players go to with the breaking news, as he's willing to be their mouthpiece to get their preferred skew of the reporting out. There seemed to be a lack of reporters like that with the transfer market and football news overall for a long time, so it's no surprise someone dropped down to the level of an Adam Schefter or Shams Charania. It's reporting for the social media and 24 hour news age.

Her points are good, but if not Fab it would inevitably be someone else. It's unavoidable and inescapable with the way communication has evolved over the past decade.

Yeah, Fabrizio Romano is shallow and meaningless, and he demonstrates that by exclusively covering the most shallow and meaningless part of the sport in an uncritical way, usually sponsored by a dodgy crypto company. I'm not sure we should be expecting him to be the change-maker.

Even if he did care - which I don't think he does - I would imagine a large part of his job involves maintaining his various contacts and sources. He's not going to risk pissing them off by applying a level of critical insight to anything he does.

I mean, this is a guy who won't even dare go beyond a gormless "here we go" to risk pointing out that Chelsea's latest bazillion pound acquisition might be shit. He's certainly not going to get political.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Naitch said:

I can forgive Getafe fans, in a general sense, for not knowing the full details surrounding Greenwood. The odds of it being as extensively reported on in Spain are low, particularly given the very concept of the ongoing Rubiales controversy showing that Spainish culture might not be as progressive when it comes to women's right, and the prospect of signing an "England international" from Man Utd sounds like a coup when your team is consistently fighting to avoid relegation.

What I can't forgive is the sheer amount of effort the club have demonstrably put into generating as much social media buzz from the signing as possible. Getafe's English language Twitter account is less than three months old, only became active a week ago, and has featured Greenwood about 80% of the time, spotlighting and idolising him in ways that make the marketing campaigns surrounding returning "club heroes" like Ronaldo and Bale look low key. It's dirty, and there's no way they don't know exactly what they're doing.

If by "as extensively reported on in Spain are low" you mean they are close to zero than you would be right. I live in Spain. All I know about Greenwood's situation I read/heard about in English media. The vast majority of Spanish people don't read English press just like the vast majority of English people don't read Spanish press.

Spain is very divided in general. It's not that spanish culture isn't progressive and accepts what Rubiales did. In fact, a lot of people want him in jail. Not just gone from the RFEF. Greenwood would never play for Rayo Vallecano for instance. The one time they signed a controversial player (Zozulya) he was kicked out by their own fans and had to look for a new club. Getafe is not Rayo Vallecano. Getafe, Levante and Espanyol are far right clubs. They won't give a fuck about any of this as long as Greenwood helps them win.

As for their english Twitter account... it's in English. It obviously will feature Mason Greenwood and not Borja Mayoral. Spanish people won't follow that account. This was their way to get English speakers to follow their club. They're Greenwood's fans, not Getafe's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, METALMAN said:

Yeah, Fabrizio Romano is shallow and meaningless, and he demonstrates that by exclusively covering the most shallow and meaningless part of the sport in an uncritical way, usually sponsored by a dodgy crypto company. I'm not sure we should be expecting him to be the change-maker.

Even if he did care - which I don't think he does - I would imagine a large part of his job involves maintaining his various contacts and sources. He's not going to risk pissing them off by applying a level of critical insight to anything he does.

I mean, this is a guy who won't even dare go beyond a gormless "here we go" to risk pointing out that Chelsea's latest bazillion pound acquisition might be shit. He's certainly not going to get political.

I love her and you.