Carabao Cup 2023/24

Lineker

3 minutes ago, Hobo said:

by my count, the only players starting today who didn't feature in the 4-1 win over Chelsea in the league are Endo, Gravenberch and Kelleher. There's not a whole heap of a difference between the Chelsea XI from that day either.

Counter point: 5 of the starting XI from that match are injured today, with a 6th player on the bench. That's a very substantial difference.

14 minutes ago, Szumi said:

Outside of Bajcetic, all of our injuries are guys who you would expect to be starting today.

Chelsea's hack in this context is to have players out for so long that you literally have no way of telling if they'd be good starters or not. I'm still not convinced that Lavia is a real person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That was nasty looking. Caicedo went studs first into Gravenbach's ankle. He definitely had no intention of doing so and was accidental, but still just so nasty looking. Somehow the ref couldn't even tell it was a foul.

I know they upped the tolerance on offsides, but it's still ridiculous. For me they should have looked at that for 5 seconds, saw that it's level and given the goal, because I still have little to zero faith in the tech.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

A touching reunion between Chelsea and millimetre measurements at a cup final. 🙄

Yeah I know they didn't give us an angle where you can see straight on, but that absolutely looked onsides. Think you guys were hard done by there.

Calling it justice for Caicedo injuring Gravenbach with orange card type challenge.

6 minutes ago, Colly said:

Yellow more than enough for me, just unlucky.

Oh I for sure don't think it's a red card or anything, but one of those it's a flagrant yellow card (despite no intention by Caicedo, I know it was accidental). Somehow, though, it wasn't even a foul!

I'm enjoying that the injury has meant Conor Bradley has gone from fullback to wide forward.

It feels like Liverpool don't have a lot of goals in them. But, then I look at Chelsea's top scorers and there isn't much in the difference between Chelsea's top scorers overall and what Liverpool have on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, FestiveJack said:

Based on how some of their fans complain about it, injuries only happen to Newcastle.

In our defence we've been playing a 17 year old since September because we can't keep 3 midfielders fit, and we're lucky if we've got a striker available on a given weekend. While Chelsea and Liverpool have been hit recently (and longer with Chelsea), at least they have big squads to cope. Frankly a miracle we're still where we are in the league.

3 minutes ago, Szumi said:

Ridiculously selfish from Enzo to try and back heel a shot on goal instead of the simple layoff to Palmer. We are very, very lucky to not be behind.

I initially thought that, but I think on the replay it wasn't so much an intentional backheel attempt as him not getting control of his feet.

We've had a millimetre VAR ruling and now we've had a 'what are the rules on set piece offsides again?' VAR ruling. This fixture is doomed to 0-0.