Carabao Cup 2018/19

Lineker

24 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I wonder what the rule is for a substituted player who refuses to leave the pitch? Does the ref send them off? 

It didn't happen here, but surely if Sarri tells the fourth official to put the board up, then the substitution is official, so the player has to leave the field. 

I've still got Talksport on and they said something about the referee not being obligated to force a player off the pitch but to ensure that play can resume as quickly as possible.

Feel sly on Sarri here. No matter if he's doing a good or a bad enough job, hes been made to look like a right tit by Kepa there. Seriously no matter if Sarri stays in a job or a new manager comes in would you fuck be able to trust a player like that. 

Be like me going to my manager "nah swivel on it I ain't going into that meeting" and just sitting at my desk giving it the big one

It does make Sarri look foolish, it's embarrassing. However, it isn't his fault as far as I can see and Kepa should be ashamed of himself. You can't just refuse to come off when your manager substitutes you. I wouldn't accept that in a Sunday league game, let alone in a cup final at bloody Wembley. 

What a mess.

16 hours ago, Naitch said:

I've still got Talksport on and they said something about the referee not being obligated to force a player off the pitch but to ensure that play can resume as quickly as possible.

I looked up the FA rule earlier this morning - players are not obliged to leave the field. If they refuse to do so, the sub is cancelled and play continues. Whilst it's unprofessional, Kepa was actually within his rights under the laws of the game (which is hilarious). 

It's not even the first time a high profile player has done it - Messi did it in a league game in 2014: https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/bigger-than-barcelona-messi-refuses-to-be-subbed_sto4714666/story.shtml

EDIT: It gets even better - the same ref had a similar situation in 2017 with Fabianski at Swansea: https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/four-more-players-who-refused-to-be-subbed-after-kepas-wembley-defiance-37848991.html