Carabao Cup 2018/19

Lineker

Wow. Player power at Chelsea on display. 

Really embarrassing that is.

I really want Kepa to hurt himself trying to save the first penalty.

3 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I just tuned in. What the heck just happened with Sarri?

Basically Sarri wanted to sub him off, and Kepa refused to come off.

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

And Sarri had to just accept it? Madness.

Basically. 

That incident kind of sums up where Chelsea are at the moment. It's a shambles. Awful dynamics at that club, no manager has real control at all.

Having one of your players flat-out refuse to be subbed off in a cup final is probably the last straw I'd gave thought. 

Edited by Liam Mk2

There's no way this ends well. Either we lose and both Sarri and Arrizabalaga look awful, or we scrape a win in the shootout and Sarri still looks like a total goober for kowtowing to player pressure from someone who shouldn't be capable of making power plays even in a team with a history of undeserved influence.

Just now, Naitch said:

There's no way this ends well. Either we lose and both Sarri and Arrizabalaga look awful, or we scrape a win in the shootout and Sarri still looks like a total goober for kowtowing to player pressure from someone who shouldn't be capable of making power plays even in a team with a history of undeserved influence.

Honestly, I don't know how it makes Sarri look awful really. The only solution would have been to physically drag Kepa off the pitch. All the blame there falls on the goalkeeper, that's ridiculously unprofessional.

Wow. Azpilicueta's penalty was outrageously good.

I'm just furious that even when putting in a respectable Cup Final performance for a narrow penalties loss against strong opposition, Chelsea can't make it off the pitch without inventing their own ridiculous controversy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Honestly, I don't know how it makes Sarri look awful really. The only solution would have been to physically drag Kepa off the pitch. All the blame there falls on the goalkeeper, that's ridiculously unprofessional.

Wow. Azpilicueta's penalty was outrageously good.

Yeah, this. I actually feel really bad for Sarri here, don't think he looks bad at all. It's not like he just rolled over and accepted it, guy was fucking furious. Kepa comes out of this looking absolutely atrocious.

Would love Sarri to come flying in from off camera on him with a flying kick.

tenor.gif?itemid=11363905

It's awful because we're now in the position of having the world's most expensive goalkeeper who isn't fit to clean the boots of the youth team and a pair of aged veterans, both of whom are known for embarrassing World Cup performances and one of whom was never anything better than a Championship keeper in the first place. Caballero should play every remaining game this season as we hope to god that the transfer ban gets delayed by appeal so we can sort this shit out over the summer.

• Like 1

I wonder what the rule is for a substituted player who refuses to leave the pitch? Does the ref send them off? 

It didn't happen here, but surely if Sarri tells the fourth official to put the board up, then the substitution is official, so the player has to leave the field. 

Made up for a shit day of football that. Going to be interesting to see developments at Chelsea because Kepa has got quite a bit of a grovelling to do, unless Sarri is now sacked of course following the last part of the Chelsea circus. Theoretically he'll get the Hossam Ghaly treatment but who knows now?