Official Football Manager 2005 Topic

Thomas

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never saw the need to put a keeper on the bench. My keeper rarely gets injured or sent off. If he does, I'll just put on a sweeper and be more defensive.

Anyone find that playing at quick tempo really tire your players out? Maybe it's the age of the Madrid players, but playing at quick tempo week in week out has caused a handful of my key players to be in need of a rest.

I never saw the need to put a keeper on the bench. My keeper rarely gets injured or sent off. If he does, I'll just put on a sweeper and be more defensive.

Anyone find that playing at quick tempo really tire your players out? Maybe it's the age of the Madrid players, but playing at quick tempo week in week out has caused a handful of my key players to be in need of a rest.

I am currently using a 442 formation which includes a diamond variation which I use in the league. I was originally going to use it in a Lower League Management game I was gonna start but I haven't got around to it yet. The basic premise is that 2 the central midfielders are strong defensive midfielders who race around the pitch, snapping into tackles trying to get the ball back. Then they lay it off to a winger who bombs up the pitch to cross for the big man in the box. I usually have two defensive full backs who stay back because they have no help from the wingers so they dont wanna wander up field and be caught out. Being in the Scottish league I can afford to be more attacking so I move one central mid back and one forward. Sometimes I push the full backs up too. I normally stick to the flat 442 in Europe and sometimes in away games.

Whenever I miss a position off the subs bench, the starter in that position seems to get injured/sent off. Grr :P

As for formation, I normally play 5-3-1-1, with two wingbacks with VERY high stamina on the wings, three central midfielders, an AMC and an FC, have it set to Wide, and attacking down the flanks.

It might seem weird, but if you were playing a team with a formation that narrow, would YOU expect them to attack the flanks? ;)

I usually score from moves that DON'T go down the flanks, though (my central CM has free role and max creative freedom, so he pretty much does whatever he likes. He has 24 assists in 35 games :P)

Edited by TheReilDeal

Why does everyone seem to change tactics for away games?

Caus teams mentallity changes depending on where you are playing. A home team is going to be more up for the game in their own stadium because of all the fan support.

I play the standard 4-4-2 attacking (i.e. wingers pushed up to full) for just about every match. If I think I'm going to have a tough match, like away to AC Milan, I might tweak the Team Instructions to close the game up and make it scrappier (man marking, tight marking etc.), but never really much more than that.

Besides, with Robben on the wing, how can I not play 4-4-2A? Gerrard's not bad as a right winger either.

Well I don't have WSM yet since I live in America, but for CM 03/04 I run a 4-2-4 formation with Walsall. Normally I like to run a standard 4-4-2 but with the likes of Carlton Cole, Lomana LuaLua, Johan Vanlanthen, Szilard Nemeth, Benni McCarthy, Ivan Kaviedes and others, I need to get them playing time. It seems to work too since I just went 6-0 in my first attempt in the CL. Beat Juve, Celta, and Hajduk twice with a 17-2 goal diff. Cole and Nemeth are 1 and 3 in league scoring and LuaLua has about a million assists.

Guest Red Devil

I either run a normal 4-4-2 diamond formation or a 3-2-3-2 formation. The latter is the one i like better. I have 3 strong tall centre backs. 2 which are great headers and most liklely young and full of potential with the 3rd being a vetren who has the mentality for defending so he can bring experience to the back and teach the youngsters something. Then i have 2 full backs who are slightly higher up then the defenders where i usually put my 2 wingers to run right up the pitch to proide crosses for the strikers. They must have good stamina and good pace. Then i have 2 defensive midfeilders in teh centre of midfield where the hard hitting tacklers are. Then just above them i have the "creative" midfielder who is my playmaker. Then in front of him are my 2 attackers, 1 is a great header who is a storng target man and the other is a pacey striker who can get away from players and both have good finishing. That usaully gets me reults but it's quite attacking so in away games i usaully lose out by a goal or 2 in a huge scoring match.

I am at MetroStars and I am playing a 5-4-1. Two of the centre-backs on ultra-defensive and the middle centre-back is on defensive. That helps cover the space inbetween the defence and the midfield.

My two central midfielders are defensive ones and are playing holding roles in the middle, helping to cover the back line. My only attacking play comes from the wingers and the lone forward.

I play a very narrow game, very defensive and with a deep defensive line. Also, a very direct ball is played. I like to keep clean sheets and this formation has helped me to actually pick up some wins and I don't lose that often.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Whats the highest amount of players you've ever had make it into the team of the week? so far my record is 7.

Apparently it was a great day for Arsenal, a good day for Fulham and an okay day for Birmingham.

post-38-1102115609_thumb.jpg

post-38-1102115609_thumb.jpg