Official Smackdown vs. Raw Thread

JoeMimic

I just can't comprehend how you can hate it THAT much, but I can see where you're coming from. I still like it, but I can't help but be moved by your hateful diatribe at least a little. Would it kill the anger a bit if I admitted that I am sad that no modern WWE game (including DoR) has actually bettered No Mercy yet? No Mercy was a complete package, where as you indicated, today's titles have nuggets of goodness (but still enough appeal for me to buy them... except I probably will not buy SvR from recent testimonials from anyone not a super mark). No Mercy was and still is my precious in terms of wrestling games.

To be honest, not really. There are too many people that just don't care.

Too many people really don't give a shit about things like gameplay balance, outrageously unrealistic pacing, screwing gameplay killing glitches, or a general all-around lack of effort.

Like everyone who bought Smackdown vs Raw, say.

Edit:

And the concept behind Rumble Roses is dumb, but I don't like rap and I thought the first Def Jam was pretty okay.

Edited by SeanDMan

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, haven't posted in a while!

Went into work today on my day off to try out SD vs. RAW. Despite a couple of things (eg: the crowd look awful and sooo much stuff is locked from the get go) I really liked it! The staredown/test of strength is different, the methods of blocking are better and the "Hulking Up" thing is genious. I played Shelton Benjamin vs. Kurt Angle as Shelton and when Angle was beating on me, I was able to make a quick comeback and hulk up for about thirty seconds!

I haven't sampled anything else. My only other gripe is that the stat bars are too big...a six-man tag match is stupid because they take up most of the screen!!

It's one of those games you're gonna have to try to see for yourself but I really enjoyed it - plus I haven't gotta go to Uni or work on Friday, so it'll just be a case of buying it in the morning and PLAYING IT FOREVER!

Here Comes The Pain has done me proud, as it's the only game I've played consistantly for the past year...and this one shall too!

And don't hate on people for liking it, and don't hate on people for NOT liking it. :) *smokes more weed and chills out*

Didn't expect it to come out so early over here in the UK. Anyway I haven't got the cash to buy any games, so I managed to rent it out and probably will just keep it for about a week.

The opening video is wicked, best opening video off all time. Sure it doesn't really make the game great, but it's damn cool. Got into the game and I pretty much always play an EC first. So I get to it to find out that you can have a three on three tag match in a Chamber. Seriously I never heard a thing about this, unless I totally forgot. Either way it's pretty damn good.

The graphics are without a doubt better than what they were in HCTP, maybe it's just me though. The gameplay seems much faster and overall the game seems a lot harder than what HCTP was. Randy Orton's entrance is wicked whatever anyone says. The music that they've got playing throughout the game has already grew on me, loving it. The commentary isn't too bad and doesn't bother me much at all this time around.

The chop battle is pretty good as is the stare down and strength test, all pretty good additions to the game. Another thing I'm really liking is the Royal Rumble meter thing. I love how you can have three guys trying to push someone out of the ring. It's also nice to see you not just getting thrown out so easily.

Although it takes damn ages to do, I thought why not create a CAW now? Saves me creating myself later doesn't it? The CAW mode certainly seems a little better compared to HCTP, but then again I cant remember all the little details that could possible be missing. The picture thing is certainly another good addition to the game, much better to see your guy when selecting a character rather than seeing a blanked out superstar. I've already seen some new moves in the game too when selecting my guys moves, so nice job there. Didn't expect loads of new moves though so even if it is only a few, it's fine with me. Loving some of the entrance music that you can have, nice to see you can have the choice of a few songs that aren't associated with superstars and aren't them pathetic made up themes :-P

I still cant believe they took out all the backstage areas though so that you can only fight in the ring in a hardcore match. Not too happy with that, but I'll survive without them. I noticed the challenge mode by accident, I never even had a clue that it was on the game until it said I had beaten one of the challenges. This challenge mode sounds pretty damn good and it'll be fun trying to beat some of the challenges. Only beaten two challenges so far, one beating the Ultimate Submission one with Jericho vs. Benoit. Another cool thing is that in an elimination match when someone is eliminated(The Computer), the guys don't just stand there and do nothing. They actually interfere and fight in this one, so that's pretty damn cool. I checked out the Create a PPV stuff as well but didn't actually create one, just checked to see what it was like. Look's pretty decent and once I've got some WCW guys created, you so know I'll be creating some classic WCW Shows :)

Just managed to try out the online mode and it turned out to be great. Sure it's not really a big deal, but it is fun to play other people on the game if you ask me. Some connections can be pretty slow yet not too bad, while some are pure perfect. I had a few problems connecting at one point, it kept saying something about losing the connection or something. Anyone had the same problem? Could just be gamespy or something though. First match turned out to be harder than I thought and after throwing a chair into the ring I kept trying to drag the referee to the canvas. After doing it for a forth time I got DQed, which I found unfair *angel face*. Played another match and got pretty much thrashed by The Undertaker. Had one final match and although it took a good fifteen minutes plus four specials, I managed to pin Triple H with a top rope superplex by Benoit. Now that's what I call awesome play by me :-P

I'll get to work on starting a season tomorrow and seeing how that all goes, no rush though. Overall the game is nowhere near a let down and a step above HCTP in my book. Certainly doesn't deserve some of the criticism it has been getting by some people.

From what I've seen so far, to create a decent belt you need to rack up a shitload of Smackdown! Dollars. Other than that I have no idea about what the belt options are. For the amount of time it takes to create a good one, you better be able to use the damn thing in season mode.

Well, that was convenient. Was about to ask the same thing. Has anyone found that you want to strangle Michael Cole when half way through a Last man Standing match he jabbers on about a quick three count and the match is over, because I do. And Mark Jindrak blows, Bubba beat me :( Now Big Bad Batista is another story all together :D

And with the challenges you need to make sure the settings are set to default or it wont register as you completing them.

I've created a belt, now how the fuck do I use it. It says in the manual that you can defend it against your friends but there is no option in the exhibition screen that allows for a title defense. Is this option for online play only or am I just missing something really easy?

And with the challenges you need to make sure the settings are set to default or it wont register as you completing them.

I've created a belt, now how the fuck do I use it.  It says in the manual that you can defend it against your friends but there is no option in the exhibition screen that allows for a title defense.  Is this option for online play only or am I just missing something really easy?