Official Smackdown vs. Raw Thread

JoeMimic

Guest Future Shock

While I do LIKE Smackdown, it's not worth 50. It'd be worth 20. I normally just rent it, play through the season mode, then return it, and if I don't finish the season, I'll rent it maybe one more time.

I better see the Standing SSP in this, or I'ma hurt someone. :P

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he wants to? The purpose of this thread is to comment, there's no rule that says you have to fellate SD vs Raw.

edit: i just read that review,

"Unfortunately for fans that are looking for additional feature upgrades, SmackDown! vs. RAW just doesn't have them. In fact, in many respects the game has taken a few steps southward. Backstage arenas, for example, have been removed entirely with the exception of a single large environment; and while that solo atmosphere is still highly interactive with plenty of different contact points, it provides nowhere near as much fun as the various backstage levels from Here Comes the Pain did. Additionally, THQ has removed the Cruiserweight, Women's, World Tag Team, and WWE Tag Team championships from career mode altogether (only the WWE, World, Intercontinental, and U.S. titles remain), and the cool stat tracking feature I thought was so helpful last year is gone as well."

LAME

-they've removed all the backstage arenas

-removed the cruiserweight, womens and both tag team belts!

-removed stats tracker stuff, For fucks sake,

-there are only 41 workers in the lineup as opposed to 54 in the previous, come on.

and then there's this,

"Making the list of complaints even more bizarre is the fact that the career mode seems a lot more linear than it was last year (I played five or six different guys across various seasons and the same exact thing happened to all of them). The reason that this was the case was pretty obvious too, as the development team removed the option to travel between different locations between matches which pretty much eliminated the branching points that were present in Here Comes the Pain."

-every wrestler but two (John Cena and a legend) were stripped of their alternate attires

-cant customize the rosters of the two shows

"Still, there's no detriment on earth that could make me overlook how terrific the graphics in SmackDown! vs. RAW truly are." :rolleyes:

And the online play is very limited apparently,

^_^

Edited by kaya

:mellow:

That is unbelievable. I was reading that firdt paragraph in shock, why the hell would they remove the belts? They're supposed to be the focus/goal of wrestling! Then the next paragraph was even worse. Only two people have alternate attires. Wow, thats just amazingly...dumb. Linear storymode, and non-customizable rosters means this game is worth only one ride through season, and back to Blockbuster. Media and so forth are gonna have a hard time defending this. :\

Something I forgot to say earlier, and keeping in mind I haven't read the article (kaya's post was enough to put me off bothering) but is that the finished version the reviewer had? I know it kinda defeats the point, but maybe he'd have had a limited, cropped version?

:/

But really, if you hate this game so, why does it seem you reply every few posts? If it's just to get your negative .02 in...without even really making a point, such as...well the quoted post, then what's the point?

Why the hell should I even bother?

Did you read the review in question?

In this thread you have all been sayingg holy shit awesome story mode voice overs online play, and the review completely tears apart everything you have said will be awesome about the game.

The review just tore about the incredibly lackluster online play and makes numerous mentions about how they have scaled back the gameplay and the roster and the story mode, but then turns around and says "nothing is going to make me not like these graphix" and gives it an 8.5. So I have no doubt you'll buy it and love it, because all you care about is the liscense and the awesome graphics, and SD vs. Raw has that.

Everyone who wants a good game can pass on this one... which probably means everyone of you is still going to get it, because you got the last one, and the last one, and the last one, and hell, you're already trying to preorder SD vs. Raw 2.

So I ask you, why bother wasting my time when you don't seem to comprehend that quality > commercialization?

That's possible, though highly unprobable. It's a review of the game, not a preview, he gave it a rating, it's the 'final word' on the game by IGN before the game is released (shortly), it is very unlikely that its not a complete version of the game,

a) because it's a review of the game, not a preview, reviews are of the final game unless stipulated, and

b.) the game is days from release, so the chances they've got the complete game are pretty high, it's not like the game is still months from completion, it's days from release.

c.) The tone of the article is that its the full-version, why would they review the game and give it a rating if it wasnt complete? They cant review a demo of the game, that wouldnt make sense.

Thats why I said it'd defeat the purpose. I was just hoping that although it wasn't anywhere near being the best game ever, it wouldn't have been that bad.

I'm passing on this game. I think I'll just wait until the last PS2 WWE game is released. When they move on to another console, I'll buy the latest game. I'm sick of buying it every year, and I don't want another game that'll be obsolete in a year. The same applies for GTA now. I bought GTA3 and GTA:VC, and now VC and 3 are obsolete because SA has been released. I'll wait for the last GTA game for this console to be released, because it's going to kick all the previous game in the series ass. To sum it up, I don't think I'll miss anything from this years Smackdown release that I won't get if I wait and buy next years instead. (or the year after that - whichever is the final one)

Now, if the game engine changes dramatically and they have new developers for the next game (due to the lawsuit), then I'll probably buy this game when it drops in price. No way am I buying it for £30 though.

Marsh, I'll give you Smackdown making the previous years obsolete just like Madden does, but GTA? I still went back and forth between GTA3 and GTAVC and I still have stuff to do in Vice City once I finish San Andreas. Besides, San Andreas is definitely the best game out on the PS2 and probably the last one you will see on this console.

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a third generation of the playstation in the works or something?

In a word, yes.

At the moment I'm beginning to sour on the idea of buying it. While looking amazing, I'm a little disappointed afterreading that review. I'm gonna go cancel my order on Amazon for now. Might (see: probably will) get it later in the year or something.

damn it looks as if thq /yukes are only focusing on graphics this time round. maybe if they would have left out the voice overs and announcers maybe all the belts could be included and so on. Needless i'll still buy the game because i own all the other smackdown games for the ps1 and ps2. i'm just looking forward to the create a wresler and create a belt and maybe they'll be more moves and stuff.. but as said before this looks like the last straw for me hopefully wwe and get things straight and get a ne game out that might rival no mercy(yes i'm dreaming)

The game still sounds decent enough to me, but I'm going to pass on it anyway. I just got THUG 2, Def Jam Fight for NY, Mortal Kombat Deception, and GTA San Andreas. So I don't really need another game right now, I'll be busy enough through the beginning of the year. I plan on picking up Rumble Roses along the way though because that does look rather entertaining. Smackdown's lackluster online play kinda pushed me away from it this year, I'll wait till they get their shit together and let you create E-Feds.

But really, if you hate this game so, why does it seem you reply every few posts? If it's just to get your negative .02 in...without even really making a point, such as...well the quoted post, then what's the point?

Why the hell should I even bother?

Did you read the review in question?

In this thread you have all been sayingg holy shit awesome story mode voice overs online play, and the review completely tears apart everything you have said will be awesome about the game.

The review just tore about the incredibly lackluster online play and makes numerous mentions about how they have scaled back the gameplay and the roster and the story mode, but then turns around and says "nothing is going to make me not like these graphix" and gives it an 8.5. So I have no doubt you'll buy it and love it, because all you care about is the liscense and the awesome graphics, and SD vs. Raw has that.

Everyone who wants a good game can pass on this one... which probably means everyone of you is still going to get it, because you got the last one, and the last one, and the last one, and hell, you're already trying to preorder SD vs. Raw 2.

So I ask you, why bother wasting my time when you don't seem to comprehend that quality > commercialization?

Edited by Media 2.0