Super Smash Brothers: BRAWL

Guest clintcasey

OH DEAR GOD THIS GAME IS LOVE.

Beat the Subspace Emissary earlier today, Tabuu was a beast. Still haven't unlocked Wolf yet, but I've unlocked everyone else. R.O.B. isn't as bad as I thought he would be, Metaknight thus far is my favorite character... seriously, assaulting people in midair with quick slashes like his is some of the most fun I've ever had on Smash Bros.

There are still a few characters I need to get used to playing as... Sonic's surprisingly easy to control, his speed is excellent but not so fast that I can't handle it.

I basically did a marathon run on Subspace right when I got the game, so I've not experienced any of the other gamemodes yet... haven't even tried out the smash attacks. Seriously, the Subspace Emissary is one of the most enthralling experiences I've had for a story mode in a fighting game... just a whole lot of fun.

Also, I won't mind putting in a post here that keeps a record of everyone's friend codes for Brawl, it'd be quite helpful. Just put up your codes and I'll try to keep the list updated the best I can. I'll set up the list here later tonight.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is fucking amazing.

I'll have my friend code up soon... I haven't set my Wii up to the internet since I moved, but once I get it all fixed, I'll be happy to get humiliated by all of you.

Updated the main post with friend codes, will update them with more as they're posted :)

The gamecube controller is the only way to play Brawl, enough said. And fuck, I've been thinking of stages to make....but I can't play the game till Friday...Hopefully they'll let me make a stage. Completely enclosed area, high top area and a low bottom area, only way to get up is wall jumping, and in a small corner will be the opening. It will be brutal! But epic. I need to make this stage.

I've also noticed whoever use the grapple as an ^+B move is harder.....Ivy, ZSS, Olimar, and probably someone else. It's just a pain in the ass <_<

Also, co-op home run contest....good combo is Ivy's Bullet Seed with Yoshi's Flutterkick.

The gamecube controller is the only way to play Brawl, enough said

Classic Controller > Gamecube

...Except for when I try moving with the D-Pad and wind up taunting.

Yeah, and that's just fail.

I'm sorry but I'm with Ruki here, Gamecube controller settings ARE Super Smash Bros. controller settings. It just doesn't feel right any other way for me :P

I am in absolute love with this game.

There's a fair bit I could complain about (not enough characters of my choice, some rather redundant features and a horrid create a stage mode)... But fuck have I not had this much fun in ages. The game is filled with random content and should provide tonnes to do in the future. The challenge is so enjoyably scalable its just plain awesome. Easy is easy, and intense is intense. Actually, I can't even do intense, but that's not the point. And it's the small touches that are enjoyable. Snake's codec conversations, the clear homages and references in Subspace Emissary to the ridiculous number of songs.

Had to break out the Gamecube controllers though. Anything else just seems odd. Tried the wiimote/nunchuk combo and it was okay, but I prefer the Cube's controller.

As it stands though, I'm loving Dedede, Meta Knight, Wolf and Pokemon Trainer. Snake's almost there for me, but I still have to get a handle on his moves better. My old standbys of Link and Kirby are also great still along with a seemingly better Pikachu.

I find Meta Knight handles better during 1-on-1 encounters He deals damage like nobodies business but his smash ability isn't too good, resulting in others 'stealing' his KOs from under his nose. Dedede is a crowd clearer and his smashes are immensely strong. And Wolf just seems like Fox/Falco turned up a notch with slightly varied (and improved) moves.

The stages are also quite awesome. The Pirate Ship, Lylat Cruise (if only for the visuals), Pokemon Stadium 2, Castle Siege, Summit, 75 M, Mario Bros. and Shadow Moses Island are my favourites. Smashville for its simplicity, Warioware for its cleverness and Mushroomy Kingdom for its weird nostalgia are also fun.

I'm also glad I still have a tonne of characters to try out, stages to fully experience, songs to unlock and challenges to complete, despite the time I've already placed into the game... This thing is immense.

Edited by Vilge Duin

I dunno, I like the create-a-stage mode. It takes some getting used to, but once you get ahold of it, it's actually quite simple and can lead to some fun stuff. Plus, you unlock shit as you go along the way to add more to it, so yeah... it *does* get better, Vilge. Try it out more, you'll find it grows on you in due time-- at least, it did for me :)

DeDeDe is by and large my favorite large character to play as. His recovery is incredible, he's actually fast for his size, and his damage is quite impressive. However, that being said, I'm STILL amazed at just how vicious Ike really is. All his attacks have so much raw power behind them, it's nuts. I've still yet to beat challenge #41 but I've came the closest with Ike because of his incredible damage potential and his amazingly effective counter move.

I had a tournament earlier today to see which of all the characters would do the best. For shits and giggles, I also included alternate outfits, so the following extra characters were placed in the tournament: Dark Link, Dark Zelda, Dark Toon Link, "Waluigi" (Purple Luigi), "Daisy" (Peach's Daisy Colors), "Dixie Kong" (Diddy's Dixie Colors), and "Classic Wario" (Wario's alt. outfit). I added Dark Toon Link and Classic Wario last-minute and they had to fight to see who would actually get in the tournament.

Long story short: DARK ZELDA CANNOT BE FUCKING STOPPED. Jesus CHRIST! At one point, she was fighting Link, and she juggled him for an entire MINUTE using nothing but Din's Flame OVER. AND. OVER. Link simply couldn't get under or over it to recover to the stage, so any time he got to close, she'd just throw another shot at him and up his damage. Eventually, he missed his hookshot recovery attempt and plummeted to his death.

The semi-finals were Waluigi vs. Dark Zelda and Lucario vs. Captain Falcon. Lucario beat Falcon, Dark Zelda beat Waluigi, and in the finals, Dark Zelda just ripped Lucario to shreds.

I now fear the ever-loving shit out of Dark Zelda. I kid you not, regular Zelda? She did decent, but otherwise struggled with her opponents. Dark Zelda? She ripped through Link, DeDeDe, Snake, Waluigi AND Lucario to win the whole thing. Hardly broke a sweat.

It's quite fun to run these tournaments to be honest. What failed for me for my Melee one was how play-by-play they were. I'm honestly thinking about setting up a Brawl betting circuit for awhile in the Coin Op, having people bet on matches and vote for what matches to hold and whatnot. Would anyone be interested? And also, what about a Smash Bros Brawl EWB Tournament? All of this would take some time to organize, but in a few weeks I'm going to have plenty of time on my hands :)

It is my expert opinion that the following should be true:

1) Jigglypuff should be removed. Are you faggots seriously telling me that the developers thought "Mewtwo? Psychic, man-sized Pokemon with a plethora of awesome attacks and an attitude like John McClane? CUT. Jigglypuff? A pink sack of shit that's not Kirby and has no redeeming qualities? IN". No. No. Fuck you. His Final Smash, also? The absolute drizzling shits. Oh look he gets bigger I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. I WANT EXPLOSIONS, I WANT DAMAGE, I WANT CRAZY FUCKING ACID TRIPS. THAT IS WHAT A FINAL SMASH SHOULD BE.

2) Fuck the developers again. Star Fox has about a thousand suitable Final Smashes but decide that individuality is stupid and gives Fox, Falco and Wolf Landmasters. Fuck you. In my world, Fox calls in Peppy, Slippy and Falco (if he's not already fighting) who swoop in on their Arwings and start blasting the shit out of everyone and everything, Wolf keeps the flying, spinning, shooting Landmaster and Falco leaps into his own Arwing and drops a smart bomb on the stage.

3) NESS WAS THE ORIGINAL YOU CUNTS.

4) Cut Yoshi. I don't care if he's an original, he was shit in the original, he was shit in Melee and he is shit now. Why would you look a character who NOBODY plays without a gun to their head and think "nope hes clearly fine and not shit"

5) NESS WAS THE ORIGINAL AND SHOULD BE SUPERIOR. NESS KILLED OFF A FUCKING ARMY OF WEIRD FUCKING SHIT WITH A CRACKED BASEBALL BAT AND HIS MIND. WHAT DID LUCAS DO? FUCK LUCAS

Ness is still better than Lucas. His PK Thunder might be "harder to control" for people who don't use Ness alot, but its also more powerful and does more damage when you use it to launch Ness into people. Ness has a bat, Lucas has a fucking branch. PK Freeze is a nice little move, but its got nothing on PK Flash, when PK Flash is used properly. And Ness's Final Smash is waaaay better than Lucas'. Lucas' Final is really easy to dodge, where as Ness, is alot faster and comes in at a better direction.

Wow, lots of Jiggly hatred. Blame Lucario for no Mewtwo. Puff still has the same strategy attached to her as always. Do some damage to people, put them to sleep, smash attack them. You do her final smash in the right place, its going to kill everyone besides flying characters.

Completely agree with you on Fox/Falco/Wolf Final Smashes. He's from fucking STAR Fox. His enterance is him jumping out of a Arwing. Everyone one of his stages take place on a starship of some kind. There isn't a single moment in SSE where he is seen in a Landmaster, he's constantly in an Arwing, and yet, his final smash is a fucking Landmaster. If anything, they should have made it like Snake's, where he gets in the Arwing, flies to the front of the screen and then you can just blast people away from there. Or make it like Sonic and Diddy's, he gets in the Arwing and you get to fly around and smash into people or shoot them. Nope, we get a Landmaster.

I hate Yoshi, I kill myself every time I use him with that stupid roll in an egg move.

So, Saturday or Saturday night, anyone up for a big online smashfest?

A few things to say to all that:

Fuck you, Jigglypuff is amazing. Excellent to use when you're beating your opponents so bad you want to throw a little salt on their wounds, and moreover, I've found that Jiggly has some SERIOUS damage potential with her smash attacks, and one of the best horizontal recovery rates around. You've got Kirby's puff-up thing, but Jiggly also has a side smash that jettisons her to the right a little ways, so if you time each side-smash in-between jumps, you're able to cross entire stages before you have to land.

There's a strategy to use with Jiggly, and it's a lot of fun. Her final smash is devastating if you can time it in an area where pretty much no-one has anywhere to go but off the stage, but that being said... fliers are still going to get back.

Yoshi's tricky too... but honestly, he's a mainstay. You don't take out mainstays, if they're from the original cast they're pretty much promised to stay. Plus, I've actually found that Yoshi is fun to play as once you start getting a handle on his moveset. I wouldn't remove him.

Lucas is great, but Ness is still the psy-king. I do like PK Freeze, but as Maxx said, PK Flash is just too damn powerful when used right.

And on the subject of the landmasters? Couldn't agree more. We only needed one damned landmaster, and it doesn't at least seem as though they were being pressed for time... seriously, how hard could it have been? Adding all the landmasters in only served to add to the fact that they're clone characters, albeit clone characters with different styles to the moves and different handles on how they play.

Finally, I do NOT understand why people keep knocking on Meta's smash potential. Has no-one noticed how devastating the last shot in his barrages are once the damage gets bumped up? I've KOed people with EASE with Meta just by taking them off the stage and going at them nonstop. His last shots give a knockback that can seriously damage your opponent. Also, has anyone even TRIED juggling your opponents up as they're in the air? Time it right, and just keep flying up... his up attacks knock people higher after each shot, so if you get them close enough to the top edge of the screen, they're all but guaranteed to be gone.

There's strategies to all the characters, and all of them are fairly easy to figure out, it's just that it takes time. I wouldn't say to remove any of the characters, but I do hate that Mewtwo was removed and we got all the bloody landmasters, admittedly.

EDIT: Also, damn it, give it time, I'm about to come up on a break that lasts me 28 weeks. Seriously now, you think I won't be thinking about finally putting time to unfinished projects I've not had time for? You guys know how easily wrapped up in ideas I get >_>

Edited by The Mask of Norro

It also doesn't help that the Landmaster is a shitty final smash anyway (or I just don't know how to use it). Why not give them Arwings that work like when you get the three Dragoon Parts? That would be awesome, just give it a bigger targeting reticule and watch people go flying.