What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I should really be posting in this thread ...

Anyway, Midnight in Paris is a great film. Totally Woody Allen, but utterly charming and with some nice, natural performances by the cast. Somewhat lacking a conclusion though.

Edited by WalkerWGZ

Night of the Comet

Classic 80s cheese and a fun zombie movie without a lot of zombies.

April Fool's Day

Even more classic 80s cheese that is still a refreshing change of pace from the usual slasher flick.

Return of the Living Dead

Campy 80s horror day continued with one of the best zombie movies ever, period.

High Tension

I loathed this movie when I first watched it due to its ridiculous twist, but I always enjoy more on repeated viewings.

The Baby's Room

Decent Spanish thriller with a couple of genuine scares.

Fast Five: I haven't seen since the first two in like 5+ years, I hated the Tokyo one, and I never saw the horribly-titled fourth one, but I really enjoyed this. I liked the transition from a racing series to heists-with-cars. The Rock's performance in this is one of his best.

How I Met Your Mother: I watched about three episodes today and for whatever reason I really liked this show. I've run through 2 and a half seasons since the beginning of October.

Breaking Bad: I finished the first season in a couple days back in July but stopped watching about halfway through the second season. Now that it's back on Netflix, I've started it back up.

Plus The Walking Dead returns and Dexter's third episode later tonight.

Poltergeist. More movies should star Coach.

This is the only Coach that I'll recognize

CoachPantusso_RescueMe.jpg

I watched George A. Romero's Martin last night and it was all kinds of amazing. I had never heard of it until this week when I was looking around on Netflix. Martin and Cuda are now among my favorite horror movie characters.

Watched two movies last night.

Your Highness

Fun movie, I enjoyed it. I actually laughed out loud at a few points 7.5/10!

Attack The Block

I think this movie may have been slightly overhyped for me, but it was still really good for what it was. Young, english thugs taking on aliens! I suggest you track this one down. 8/10.

The Thing - For a movie that's supposed to be a prequel it sure is almost identical to the original film. But it still wasn't bad, not great though, but overall I liked it more than I hated it. Worth renting but if you really want to see it, I don't think you'd feel robbed of your money.

Real Steel: Really not that bad. Well, it is bad, but fun bad. Fight scenes are great and make up for the acting, which is cringe-worthy at times. The kid in it is pretty dire too.

Edited by WalkerWGZ

Paranormal Activity 3

Three in a row. I can't think of any other horror franchise that has had three excellent and terrifying movies in a row. It is easily the greatest horror franchise since the 1980s and could perhaps go down in history as the greatest franchise horror has ever seen. It doesn't have a marketable character like Freddy or Jason, but holy fuck is it scary.

I especially loved this one thanks to some beautiful nods to classic 70s and 80s horror, plus the most horrifying usage of an oscillating fan in cinema history.

Footloose.

I enjoyed it as much as the original. Had the same charm and the Willard character was equally amazing. If you enjoyed the original I would suggest seeing it since it isn't exactly that different. My only gripe is the updated version of the song, while nice, fell a little flat. The original song (played at the opening of the movie) is much better. Besides that, easy thumbs up.

Edited by Vitamin E

The Ward

Wow, rarely do you see a movie that is such a blatant, unapologetic ripoff of another movie, but this is it. Big time plot spoilers:

I mean, holy shit, they just completely reworked Identity and put it right in a mental institution instead of a motel.

The saddest part is, I hated the movie it ripped off and The Ward was executed much, much better (despite the most cliché "twist" in modern film), but I just can't believe someone let this movie get made. And what the hell happened to John Carpenter?

Body Slam

Technically, it's still playing right now, but I can already tell you it's the Greatest Film In The History of History. Dirk Benedict (Face from The A-Team!) Captain Lou! Roddy Piper (as Quick Rick Roberts from "America's Heartland", Evanston, Illinois!) The Tonga Kid! The Wild Samoans! The Barbarian! Billy Barty! John Astin! Charles Nelson Reilly!

Also, I'm pretty sure there have been TWO songs on the wonderfully 80's soundtrack that are called "Body Slam."

EDIT: Ric Flair! Freddie Blassie! Sheik Adnan!

BRUNO SAMMARTINO.

Paranormal Activity 3.

Good, but I dunno. I didn't find it as scary as 1 or 2.

The theatre experience didn't help. I don't know what was more annoying: the ushers bellowing QUIET after every scary scene, the gaggle of teenagers who wouldn't shut the fuck up, the teens with the robotic baby, or the parents of the gaggle of teens that would get up and go SHOOSH SHOOSH SHUSH every five fucking minutes. Last time I go to an early screening on opening day. When I saw 2 it was in a small theatre with literally only 4 other people there at midnight. I think the general kind of shit theatre experience took something away from PA3 for me. :/

Though (general spoilers)

That girl being hoisted up by her hair was pretty fucking scary. And when she ran into "Toby". I thought the whole COVEN!!! explanation was kinda lame, though.

PA3 spoilers:

The sheet, Bloody Mary, Katie getting pulled into the crawlspace, anything with the oscillating fan, pretty much the whole bit at grandma's and that motherfucking kitchen explosion were all pretty horrifying, I thought.

The coven was pretty much confirmed in PA2 though when Ali found out that Kristi's grandma made a deal with a demon for wealth. I am totally over people standing around a ring of fire as a plot device, but when Dennis opened that garage(?) door and that dead-eyed woman was staring at him, I damn near shit myself.

EDIT

And while I don't think it was as scary as the first (my sleep was only mildly interrupted), I would say that it was the best movie in the series in terms of overall quality. PA1 didn't have to do much in terms of character development, it would've felt unnatural given the way it was presented, but it was a segmented experience. PA2, as much as I love it, was more of the same, some douchey guy refuses to see what is blatantly in front of him until everything goes to shit, but PA3 was genuinely well done.

The characters are the most likable and memorable in a horror movie since Scream and this time it's:

the maturing mother who is the skeptic and she gets mad at the cool step-dad for putting monsters and ghosts in her kids' minds.

Totally believable and you can actually sympathize with them.

Body Slam

Technically, it's still playing right now, but I can already tell you it's the Greatest Film In The History of History. Dirk Benedict (Face from The A-Team!) Captain Lou! Roddy Piper (as Quick Rick Roberts from "America's Heartland", Evanston, Illinois!) The Tonga Kid! The Wild Samoans! The Barbarian! Billy Barty! John Astin! Charles Nelson Reilly!

Also, I'm pretty sure there have been TWO songs on the wonderfully 80's soundtrack that are called "Body Slam."

EDIT: Ric Flair! Freddie Blassie! Sheik Adnan!

BRUNO SAMMARTINO.

I need to make a collection of wrestling Movies/movies featuring wrestlers. I would mostly do this to have Mr. Nanny to watch whenever I want.