What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I saw Warrior last night, the one with Tom Hardy, Nick Nolte (....and Kurt Angle)

Excellent movie. Originally I wasn't too interested in seeing it because most other movies depicting mixed martial arts were horrible and cheesy but this one may definitely be my movie of the year. What I loved most about it was with all the major and minor story plots it all came together well. It never seemed like they were just throwing anything out there just to see if it stuck and it had alot of dramatic moments where as a viewer you generally feel uncomfortable watching especially the scenes with the two brothers and their father.

If I had to give it a rating, I'd definately give it 9.5/10. The only thing keeping it away from 10/10 in my books is that certain parts coming down towards the final fight seemed rushed however with the movie being 2 and a half hours long, it's well understood. I'd definately recommend it.

Contagion

A fantastic cast in a really boring movie.

Agreed so very much.

Oh dear. That's looking like it will be my birthday film this year. >_<

You only get so many birthdays, don't waste one of them on this.

Really? It has an 83% rating based on 145 reviews on RottenTomatoes, and I generally trust in RT (not that there aren't exceptions).

Really? It has an 83% rating based on 145 reviews on RottenTomatoes, and I generally trust in RT (not that there aren't exceptions).

I liked it, and I actually didn't find it boring at, in fact the complete opposite. I was so into the movie that the ending just kind of came out of nowhere for me which kind of threw me off. Everybody that I went with enjoyed it.

Thanks for pointing out one of it's biggest flaws. A movie that ran out of time and threw in a convenient, out of nowhere ending. That added on to loose strings and a plodding movie that could've gone somewhere, but didn't really.

It's a technically well-made, well-acted movie and the premise is creepy, but that's about it. It jumps around all over the place, which isn't always a bad thing, but many of the side stories are completely useless - Marion Cotillard's especially, which should be a criminal offense. There's no real conflict and many challenges the characters face have consequences to anything more than "there will be consequences for this!" that you never see.

There's nothing offensively bad about it, I'm not angry for having seen it, but it's very, very meh.

Yeah Marion Cotillard's story never really went anywhere.

And also, where the hell was she running to when she got back to the US and found out they were placebo pills. Was she seriously planning on running to Hong Kong? Since the air ports were shut down. Never understood that part.

Yeah, that was kinda really stupid.

But overall, I enjoyed the movie.

So I've watched a couple of good movies recently. All of these I've only seen for the first time so be prepared for shock.

Shawshank Redemption: Brilliant, brilliant movie. Deserves all the praise that it's gotten. I knew very little about the storyline of this and only knew that it was a Stephen King novel and it involved a prison. I truly didn't see the escape coming and it was great.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels: Another awesome film that reminded me of Trainspotting. That kind of British underground type of deal. Really fun and a great watch.

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo: I had zero knowledge of what this movie was about when I watched it. The storyline was brilliant and was really engaging. I had no idea it was a foreign film though. That took me by surprise.

Good Hair: This was an interesting one. It's a documentary by Chris Rock about African American hair styles. I went into this film with no expectations but it was actually quite interesting. The economy of hair styles and such is quite interesting and apart from a small section near the end that gets a bit sexist as Rock talks to some guys about having to pay for their girl's hair and prefering white women because they can touch their hair, it's a film I'd recommend if you want a mindless look into a part of culture that you don't normally hear about.

EDIT: Forgot one. Forbidden Planet: Watched this on a whim the other day. It was actually much better than I thought it would be for a sci-fi film from the 50's. Biggest surprise was that Leslie Neilson was the captain. I had only been familiar with his comedy stuff when he was older so I had no idea he was in this.

Saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy today.

I'm definitely thinking masterpiece to describe this one, going with a mate tomorrow as he wants to see it so I'll know better then, even if it isn't, it's still arguably the best film of the year.

Also saw 30 Minutes Or Less, I laughed a fair bit and thought it was fun. RIdiculously short though.

Choke. 7/10. It was good, the story wasn't anything amazing and it wasn't laugh out loud funny, but I enjoyed it. Sam Rockwell is always a winner for me and hey, Britta from Community naked! Wonderful.

My exact feelings on the movie and my exact reaction to figuring out where I knew Britta from.