What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

A Haunted House
Here's a gag. It doesn't work. Here's a gag. It is a gag. Here's a gag. There's Andrew Daly! (He's not playing the wonderfully demented people he plays on Comedy Bang Bang.) Here's a gag. Everyone's a sociopath. Here's a gag. Black people do this and white people do this and people do this. Here a--oh god this is 86 minutes what is my life and why am I doing this to myself--fade to black.
Warm Bodies
Enjoyed the premise, but it tends to lose a lot of steam in its last 45 minutes. At least the premise was cute and the movie was eminently watchable. So I'm fine with it in that regard. Decent little soundtrack for the most part, too.

Mulholland Drive is one of my favourite films of all time. Can understand it's not for everyone, but I'll always find something new when I watch it. I think it's absolutely wonderful and David Lynch's masterpiece.

Ehh, maybe I just don't "get it", but I still think it's awful aside from the hot lesbian sex scenes.

Mulholland Drive is one of my favourite films of all time. Can understand it's not for everyone, but I'll always find something new when I watch it. I think it's absolutely wonderful and David Lynch's masterpiece.

Ehh, maybe I just don't "get it", but I still think it's awful aside from the hot lesbian sex scenes.

If that's all you took from the movie then yeah, it might not be the film for you.

• Like 3

If that's all you took from the movie then yeah, it might not be the film for you.

Yes, my joke obviously implies that I'm too "stoopy" to appreciate this high brow work of art. Nice try, though.

Spaced has grown on me over time. I still don't generally find it laugh out loud funny but I like everybody on the show, it's just nice to watch. One of the few shows that is really upbeat as a general rule.

Epic was pretty unremarkable, all things considered. Nothing special. In retrospect it suffers because I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised like I was with Rise of the Guardians...but no, it was just a paint-by-numbers kid flick. Meh.

Still not sure how I would sum up The Great Gatsby. Its opening is clumsy as all hell as they failed to find a good way to convey the opening of the book (which, to be fair, is scene-setting via Carraway's internal monologue and therefore not the easiest), but at least once other characters get involved it finds its feet. Beyond that I enjoyed it. When making a film adaptation of a book it's always a good plan to pick a book that has so little in it that you don't have to cut so much out. :shifty:

Epic is pretty, but the plot is by the numbers. The comedy bits seem forced like it was not written to be one.

Its main problem is that it has various plot strands that are all paper-thin. The father/daughter relationship, the environmental message, the "romance" (if you can even call it that), and so on - a bit more effort and depth into even just one of these would have made the whole film feel like it had a bit more substance.

And yeah, add the comedy to that as well. It tries to be everything for everyone and does a bad job of all of it.

The Hangover Part 3 was, in a word, meh. The plot wasn't so bad, but it was light on laughs and really was more of a thriller. Save seven bucks and Redbox it you want. Still better than Part II, and there is a John Cena/CM Punk spotting in one of the scenes.

Its main problem is that it has various plot strands that are all paper-thin. The father/daughter relationship, the environmental message, the "romance" (if you can even call it that), and so on - a bit more effort and depth into even just one of these would have made the whole film feel like it had a bit more substance.

And yeah, add the comedy to that as well. It tries to be everything for everyone and does a bad job of all of it.

I got the feeling there was a longer, more dramatic film in there somewhere but some studio exec said 'yeah, add some wacky comic relief and Beyoncé'

Either that or they just spent more of their effort on getting voice actors and making birds look real.

The Hypotheticals episode of QI irritates me every time because John Lloyd is very, very wrong. A definition in physics supersedes a definition in any other science, I don't even understand how you can dispute that.