What Did You Watch Today?

BlackFlagg

I remember being so disappointed with Scream 4, although I haven't watched it since the original theater run. At least it was better than Scream 3.

The Great Gatsby was fucking awful. Arrogant filmmaking with no respect for the source material. And if you can figure out why Jay Z's on the soundtrack, then hats off to you. I can barely even appreciate how good some of the cast were because it was just wank.

The Great Gatsby was fucking awful. Arrogant filmmaking with no respect for the source material. And if you can figure out why Jay Z's on the soundtrack, then hats off to you. I can barely even appreciate how good some of the cast were because it was just wank.

EFf that. Loved the inclusion of modern music. A real clash that added to the wildness of certain aspects.

It skips over all the dramatic and personal moments of the novel to indulge in grand set pieces which added nothing to the film. And I hated the modern music so much. It just distracted from the narrative and it missed opportunities to have authentic 1920's music at the parties. It wouldn't even say it was much of a clash, but the scenes matched the modern music. It's probably not a terrible film for anyone that hasn't read the book, but it was my worst experience at the cinema this year.

I liked the inclusion of modern music and didn't think it took away from the story at all. It was kind of an inventive mark from the director. But, yeah, the movie had a lot of problems otherwise. Mostly to do with shitty Tobey Maguire.

The book is crap. I understand why Baz Luhrmann included modern music and other modern parlour tricks - to hide how the story is non-existent, as narrated by a completely passive character who spends 90% of the book gushing over Gatsby (who is about as enigmatic as a bag of popcorn).

Luhrmann fails because he has to overcome the source text, yet thinks Tobey Maguire is the person to help do that. Plus his direction is campier than an army of Joel Schumachers.

• Like 2