MMA News and Discussion Thread

That 103 card is looking spectacular, cant wait for that. Kos/Daley should hopefully be awesome, here's hoping for Daley to explode on Kos (Y)

And KIMBO! Although even if he wins that fight, people will still say it was against an 'easy' opponent and he 'OMGZ SUXORZ' still, but yeah, I'm looking forward to that one.

MMAJunkie are reporting that Benevidez versus Miguel Torres at WEC 47. I am getting to the stage of been really excited for every WEC card that comes around nowadays, everyshow is top quality.

After recently announcing Miguel Torres (37-2 MMA, 5-1 WEC) and Jens Pulver (22-12 MMA, 1-4 WEC) will return at WEC 47 in March, World Extreme Cagefighting officials today confirmed their respective opponents: Joseph Benavidez (11-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Javier Vazquez (13-4 MMA, 0-2 WEC).

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported both of the matchups last month.

WEC 47 takes place March 6 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, with a Versus-televised headliner of WEC bantamweight champ Brian Bowles vs. Dominick Cruz.

The event marks the WEC's debut in Ohio, which regulates more MMA shows per year than other state in the U.S.

Torres, whose legendary 17-fight win streak came to an end when Bowles took his title in August, fights for the first time since that championship loss. The defeat also snapped his five-fight win streak in the WEC and marked the first time he had ever been stopped by an opponent.

Although stopping short of confirming the plans, WEC officials recently told MMAjunkie.com that Torres could earn a title shot if he beats Benavidez.

Of course, Benavidez could also earn title consideration if he pulls off the win. The fighter, who recently rebounded from his first career loss (via decision to Cruz at WEC 42 in August) with an impressive first-round knockout of Rani Yahya at WEC 45, also owns WEC victories over Jeff Curran and Danny Martinez.

Meanwhile, Pulver, a former UFC champion, essentially announced his retirement following a June 2009 loss to Josh Grispi. It was his sixth loss in seventh fights, which came in both the UFC and WEC. And though his career looked over, WEC General Manager Reed Harris told MMAjunkie.com Radio last month that Pulver had decided to make a return to the cage.

His opponent, Vazquez, looks to rebound from a pair of recent razor-thin split-decision losses to fellow featherweights Deividas Taurosevicius and L.C. Davis. Prior to the defeats, "Showtime," who's posted nine stoppages in 13 career victories, had posted a four-fight win streak, which included a pair of wins in the now-defunct EliteXC organization.

Seriously I have a lot of love for Torres and think he is a very exciting fighter, but I have MASSIVE amounts of love for Pulver, so this card is shaping up nicely.

Also I will gain plug the new EWB MMA predictions league, sign ups for the Strikeforce card next weekend are open and I will be asking for predictions from this up coming weekend, link below or in my sig. (Y)

EWB MMA Predictions

Guest Stan Kroenke

I'd actually call Kimbo the favourite, but I can certainly see Mitrione taking it.

Also Diego should not be moving up to 170 unless he's having an enormously difficult time cutting to 155.

Guest Stan Kroenke

Lesnar is announcing his future on ESPN tomorrow, reports indicate that he'll also announce a date and opponent for his next match, which would strongly suggest which way his future is headed.

Lesnar is announcing his future on ESPN tomorrow, reports indicate that he'll also announce a date and opponent for his next match, which would strongly suggest which way his future is headed.

It will be sad to see him announce a date and an opponent and then retire later in the same press conference. :(

Guest Stan Kroenke

Observer notes:

-Rampage/Rashad is off the Montreal show (perhaps rebooked for 5/29 in Vegas). The show will move to 5/8 if Mosley vs. Mayweather happens.

-Showtime are the culprits in Jimmy Ambriz not being allowed to fight Lashley

-The fifth-highest PPV market (per capita) for UFC 108 was Waterloo (Ontario), which confuses me to no degree as we've never been counted as a market before and I barely heard anything about that show when I was home...maybe the market stretches down to London and we got the Sam Stout crowd factored in, I have no idea.

-James Toney claims Dana White's offer for him to come into UFC was a joke

-Roy Nelson's first fight since winning TUF will be against Stefan Struve on a 3/31 Fight Night. Weird.

I didn't know ESPN covered MMA, this comes as a shock to me. Regardless, though, I'm with the SportsCenter guy, I'd much rather see Nogueira/Lesnar. Beggars can't be choosers, though. I'm just happy that after all this shitstorm of bad news about Lesnar, that it appears he's on his way back to 100%. That's the most important thing to take out of this. Good for him.

I didn't know ESPN covered MMA, this comes as a shock to me. Regardless, though, I'm with the SportsCenter guy, I'd much rather see Nogueira/Lesnar. Beggars can't be choosers, though. I'm just happy that after all this shitstorm of bad news about Lesnar, that it appears he's on his way back to 100%. That's the most important thing to take out of this. Good for him.

I'm with you on this one. Nogueira/Lesnar would be one hell of a fight, and I hope it does eventually happen while Lesnar still holds the title.