MMA News and Discussion Thread

Having not seen the fight but seen people bitching about it, how dodgy was Fujii's loss to Fausto at Bellator 34? Seem's a bit fishy that someone who has got to 22-0 with little difficulty drops a decision to an American on American soil. <_<

Shonie Carter just officially announced his retirement following his Isreal FC fight.

Carter and Hermes Franca were the only big names to lose on that card. Trigg, Sokoudjou, Monson and Ricco all won with ease.

And Minowaman beat a fat guy over in Asia somewhere.

I was proud to be in attendence for that event in the Nokia Arena, and here's some thoughts about the matches:

Roy Peretz defeated Fabric Riconneau via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 3:00 of round 1: Well, that was a surprise, as I was sure that the frenchman would win this with ease...... but about 1:30 minutes in the match Peretz had some luck and almost lock Fabric in a leg-lock, but after about 30 seconds of trying to lock it up he failed, Fabric tried to pull off something but couldn't do it and there was the triangle wich gave Roy Peretz the victory.

Ido Pariente defeated Jousa Hewlett via submisson (armbar) at 2:54 of round 1: I can see why it's preliminary, but I was hoping they would give Ido Pariente(The biggest MMA name in Israel) a more worthy opponent...

Vitali Krbrsky defeated Serob Minasyan via Unanimous Decision: It was a meh fight.

Thiago Meller defeated Ariel Abergel via submission (armbar) at 0:35 of round 1: It was amazing, I could swear that Thiago Meller was flying for a good half of the (very short) fight.

Alexandro Ceconi defeated Vitaly Shemetov via submission (triangle choke) at 4:48 of round 1: A nice match, nothing more and nothing less.

Jeremy Knafo defeated Shonie Carter via Unanimous Decision. Shonie Carter announced his retirement after this fight: A FOTN candidate, and the speech Carter gave afterwards had lots of emotion in it, and before he announced his retirement, he said and I qoute "I was scared the motherfucker to come here, but for the past few days I had seen nothing but great people and some beutifull lands, and all I can now say is FUCK C-N-N", and that concludes :D

Daniel Gracie defeated Martin Wojcik via submission (rear naked choke) at 2:17 of round 1: A very nice match, but you could see that a Gracie is, after all, a Gracie, and that's mostly what iv'e seen in this fight.

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou defeated Valdas Pocevicius via Unanimous Decision: Absolutely, with no doubt, and no change in mind - THE WORST MMA FIGHT OF ALL TIME. The number of hits tried I could count with my 2 bare hands(and didn't need all 10 fingers), and the number of hits that actually hits? maybe 2-3, no more, but could be less.

Moshe Kaitz defeated Hermes Franca via Unanimous Decision: Another FOTN candidate, I couldn't belive my eyes when Kaitz dominated the first round and most of the second round untill Franca started to claim some dominance in the last minute of the 2nd round and the 3rd round, but it wasn't enough.

Frank Trigg defeated Roy Ne'eman via TKO (punches) at 2:36 of round 1: Well, this one was a sure-thing, but it was still nice to see Trigg in Israel.

Jeff Monson defeated Sergey Shemetov via submission (kimura) at 4:09 of round 1: Well, exactly like the Trigg-Ne'eman fight...

Ricco Rodriguez defeated Daniel Tabera via Unanimous Decision: A meh match, but the golden moment of the evening is Daniel Tabera entering with the macarena :D

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Weekend roundup: Matt Horwich over Jake Rosholt (TKO Round 3), Jesse Taylor wins in Australia, Douglas Lima over DMN's boy Jesse Juarez for MFC, Ryan Ford over Pete Spratt and Rodney Wallace over David Heath at the same show (also Razak Al-Hassan lost), Crazy Tony Lopez over Brad Morris, and Jonathan Goulet tasted defeat.

• 2 weeks later...

After WEC merges with UFC will Versus still have an MMA show? I really enjoyed the random WEC fights I'd catch while flipping thru channels.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

California is testing a new scoring system in amateur fights during 2011. Half-point rounds are allowed, and damage becomes the primary judging criteria. Should be interesting.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I like the half-points a lot (as long as 10-9.5 doesn't become the new 10-9), but I have to agree about the criteria. I have no problem including damage, but I think the fights should be scored equally on all criteria rather than trying to figure out how much cage control is needed to make up for a damage disadvantage, things like that.

If nothing else I think the judges should be held accountable for their scores rather then the idea that they can't be questioned at all. If someone scores a fight 29-28 for fighter A while the other two judge it 30-27 for fight B, the judges should explain how they came to their decision.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Weekend update: Ken Shamrock was beating Mike Bourke until a leg injury forced him to take a TKO loss, Aisling Daly and Roxi Sexton won fights in Ireland, Chase Beebe won via first-round guillotine.

Weekend update: Ken Shamrock was beating Mike Bourke until a leg injury forced him to take a TKO loss, Aisling Daly and Roxi Sexton won fights in Ireland, Chase Beebe won via first-round guillotine.

Don't know anything about Mike Bourke, but he must suck if he was losing to Ken Shamrock.