(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Radar Online are reporting that Ozzy Osbourne is on his deathbed. His daughter Kelly Osbourne denies the report in an Instagram post that has since been deleted (at least I can see it on her profile).  

I really hope this isn't true. But when the first reports of Dio's passing were published his wife/manager also initially denied them before officially confirming his death the next day. 

Edit: TMZ posted a video that was recorded yesterday in which Ozzy is out and about with his wife. And Ozzy himself made an Instagram post about it. So this really seems to be fake news. 

Edited by Hellraiser

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guy who runs Stoned Meadow of Doom has proven himself to be a homophobic anti-Semite. He made a real shit joke about Jewish people on the SMOD Nation Facebook page, then doubled down on it and when people called him out he resorted to name-calling and generally being homophobic. Since then, a lot of bands have come out and said that he bullied and harassed them for "exclusive" "rights" to upload their music to the SMOD YouTube channel. 

86731255_747870468954102_912851490098380

What a fucking tool. Also turns out that for his "Stoned Meadow of Doom Festival", bands have to pay him to get on the lineup.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guy who designed the Dragonforce logo is accused of disemboweling his 80 year old father. 

Jean-Pascal “JP” Fournier, a French artist credited with designing album covers and/or logos for bands such as Dragonforce, Immortal, Edguy, Imperial Triumphant, Avantasia, Unleash the Archers, and Cellador, has been accused of brutally murdering his 80-year-old father, Jean-Paul Fournier.

The French newspapers Le Parisien reports that Jean-Paul Fournier’s body was found in his home in Gières (Isère), a suburb of Grenoble, on Wednesday evening, April 1. He had been disemboweled and shot in the head with an arrow. Police arrived after being notified by Fournier’s relatives. According to Le Dauphiné Libéré, “the victim’s wife, also an elderly and sick woman, was upstairs when the police arrived”

“JP” Fournier, age 47, was then sought by the police as a suspect in the murder, Le Dauphiné Libéré says. On Thursday, April 2, JP reportedly attempted to take his own life by jumping from a bridge in the Isère river. “The suspect, who was not injured, was then immediately taken by investigators to the Grenoble police station where he was placed in police custody,” Le Parisien reports.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hijab wearing trio uses metal to make their voices heard

They accidentally discovered metal in 2014, liked it, and started a band. They’ve been attacked for being Islamic and for being teen girls, but they don’t let it deter them. 

There’s also a documentary about them being shopped around, which I really hope gets a widespread release. 

• 2 weeks later...

Inter Arma are doing a covers EP that includes covers of Neil Young, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Venom, Husker Du and Prince. This is the first song they've released off of it.

I was in the standing section when Heaven and Hell played in Nottingham in 2007, and I managed to get to the front. Dio gave me the horns a couple of times and I caught guitar picks from Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler. It was definitely my best concert experience.

I also went to the first show of what ended up being the Dio band's last ever UK tour. I remember they played Kill the King live for the first time in years, which was a nice surprise.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Helloween have pushed back their United Alive Part II European tour that was supposed to start in September back to April 2021 due to Covid-19. The release of their new album, the first one featuring singer Michael Kiske and guitarist Kai Hansen since their depatures from the band in 1993 and 1989 respectively, has been pushed back to early 2021 as well. The album is currently being mixed.  

Edited by Hellraiser

I didn't realise they were doing a new album with Kiske and Hansen! That's pretty cool. Happy to wait for that.

Apparently the reunion tour went so well that they have decided to keep going with the reunion line-up and record a new album together. That announcement wasn't much of a surprise for anyone. Most fans already speculated that they were going to stay together after how successful the tour was. The album was supposed to come out in the fall of this year. I get why they had to cancel the tour. But why push back the album? It's the reunion album with Hansen and Kiske. Fans have been waiting for this for decades. It's going to sell well regardless of if the tour happens immediately after the album's release or a few months later. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/1H7vR3qF51dBZZrsc4IFZM?si=acHotWbjQzGXi1tki_vpkA

Not strictly metal, but has some heavy moments/elements - this some avant-prog/symphonic prog/zuehl that sort of sounds like if 'Red' era King Crimson were drafted in to curate a soundtrack to an arthouse film. Flipping great. 

Turns out not all of SOAD are lefties anymore. John Dolmayan has some astonishingly bad takes about politics. Kinda gives some insight when Serj says they don’t all “see eye to eye anymore” and why we’ll probably never get new material.