(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Austin Carlile, the former vocalist for Of Mice & Men and Attack Attack!, is being accused of having sexually assaulted or raped at least fifteen women while he was with Of Mice & Men. One of the victims has written an open letter to Alternative Press, alleging that they knew about this and buried the story because Carlile and his lawyers were readying a lawsuit.

https://metalinjection.net/news/former-of-mice-altpress-accused-of-burying-the-story

Winds of Plague performed a show in blackface in 2005. 

https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/06/11/video-winds-of-plague-dressed-in-blackface-at-halloween-show-in-2005/

Video of it has been up on YouTube since 2009, but it only had about 13k views at the time that article was published. 

• 1 month later...

I knew Greg had multiple side projects, but I didn't know he was going solo as well. I'm pretty excited about this, his incarnation of Dillinger Escape Plan was easily my favorite (sorry, Mike Patton).

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

So instead of regular Wacken, we are getting Wacken World Wide this year. An online festival with a virtual stage. New concerts as well as some archival footage. You can watch it for free here:
https://wacken-world-wide.com

There's something similar happening with a bunch of the smaller eurofests - Bloodstock, Summer Breeze, Party San, etc etc. A handful of old festival performances plus some new sets recorded during lockdown. They are charging 6.66 euroes for three days of music. 

Today's schedule for Wacken World Wide:

1. 18:00: Damnation Defaced
  2. 18:15: Motor Sister (Hard Rock side project of Scott Ian)
  3. 19:05: Rage (first gig with the new line-up)
  4. 20:00: Anthrax
  5. 20:20: Body Count feat. Ice-T
  6. 21:20: Doro
  7. 21:50: Eskimo Callboy
  8. 22:40: Trivium
  9. 22:55: Long Distance Calling
  10. 23:45: Therapy?
  11. 23:50: Black Star Rider's and Thin Lizzy's Ricky Warwick
  12. 00:05: Mike LePond's Silent Assassins (Symphony X Bassist's solo band)

The concerts are apparently pre-taped and abridged for some artist. From what I understand you can watch the entire gigs later on Magenta Musik 360 and the WackenTV Youtube Channel. 

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

Long Distance Calling are ace; might have to check that out. 

lineup_new.jpg

Here's the line-up for the European Metal Alliance one.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we don't have a Hard Rock thread I'll just post it here:

Former UFO Bassist Pete Way passed away at age 69. He suffered life-threatening injuries in an accident 2 months ago and succumbed to them today. Apart from being a founding member of UFO and having played on most of their albums, he also founded his own band Waysted after leaving UFO, played Bass for Ozzy Osbourne during the Diary Of A Madman tour, was briefly part of Fast Eddie Clarke's post-Motörhead band Fastaway (he never actually recorded anything with them despite being credited as bassist on their debut album), recorded two albums with UFO singer Phil Mogg in the late 90s when UFO was temporarily disbanded and appeared on several Michael Schenker albums. 

Source: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/legendary-ufo-bassist-pete-way-dead-at-69/

What happens if Japanese Uncle Fester, Mr. Miyagi and a Japanese Elvis impersonator come together and form a band? Ningen Isu!

Edit: Quit Riot drummer and band leader Frankie Banali has passed away at age 68. He was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in April 2019 and suffered a stroke last week during a hospital visit for blood transfusions. He has played on every Quite Riot album since 1983's Metal Health and has been the driving force behind the band since their lead singer Kevin DuBrow died from an accidental overdose in 2007. He also played on almost every W.A.S.P. album from 1989's The Headless Children to The Neon Gods duology in 2004 and appeared on the 2018 re-recorded version of The Crimson Idol as well. 

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 2

Okay, weirdest band I've heard of since Dread Zeppelin (Elvis impersonator-led band that does Reggae style Led Zep covers...that are sometimes mashed up with Elvis songs)

Sucks about Frankie Banali, but sadly not surprising considering the cancer diagnosis. Pancreatic cancer is pretty much a death sentence, especially if its stage 4. (Patrick Swayze and Alan Rickman died from it, among others.)

The new Unleash the Archers album is a cracker, if you're into power/heavy metal hybrids :)

So Merciful Fate guitarist Hank Sherman has confirmed that the band is working on new music. He has 6 or 7 songs for a new album written already. So if everything works out alright we might get the new King Diamond albums as well as as new Mercyful Fate album next year.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hank-shermann-has-written-six-or-seven-new-songs-for-mercyful-fates-next-album/

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

Former Mötorhead guitarist Phil Campbell band Phill Campbell and the Bastard Sons (which is as the name suggests made up of Campbell and his three sons Todd (guitar), Tyla (bass) and Dane (drums) as well as singer Neil Starr) will release their second album "We Are The Bastards" on November 13th via Nuclear Blast. 

There is also a new Dark Tranquility album coming this November named Moment. It will be the first album with the 2 new guitarists Christopher Amott (ex-Arch Enemy) and Johan Reinholdz (Skyfire, Nonexist). Apparently the news of this wasn't supposed to be out yet and most websites have taken it down for the time being. I'm curious what the 2 new guys can bring to the table. Especially the younger Amott. 

• 2 months later...

Emily and I share a lot of music with each other, mainly because I listen to a lot of random stuff, and she mainly listens to things like Queen, and a lot of classical, all of which I enjoy.

One of our barriers is metal. I love metal. I listen to a lot of metal. She completely randomly decided she likes some of Korplikaani which is so fucking bizaare. Anyway, one of the barriers coming down was her listening to Skalmold and the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra playing Kvaoning.

Skalmold are bloody great @LUKIE! Will have to give this a spin. 

I guess the obvious thing would be to try Metallica's S&M (first one, not listening to the second yet).

Also, a little tangential, but maybe she'd enjoy Myrkur's more melodic stuff?  It's not metal at all (folk music), but could be a gateway artist? 

Which leads onto her heavier stuff... 

and the even heavier: 

etc

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Helloween will release Skyfall, their first single of their upcoming album, on April 2nd 2021. It is 12 minutes long and was written by Kai Hansen. There will be two versions of the single. Version one will have the 7 minute video-edit as the a-side and an alternative mix of the 12 minute album version with a different singer allocation as the b-side. Version two will have the album track Indestructible as a b-side

https://www.facebook.com/helloweenofficial/photos/a.427293758906/10157836615428907

I have no idea why they would announce the single so far in advance. I had hoped that we would get a taste of the new album this year to hold us over until whenever they finally release the album. 

• 2 weeks later...