The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Got it working. Next time I see Benji or someone who I know has a headset on, I'm probably going to try to voice chat with you to make sure it works. (Y)

I need some advice.

I really want a PS3. I have a nice Sony Bravia HDTV, but my current HDMI cable is shitty.

I can get (from Walmart), a bundle that includes:

-A 120GB PS3

-A second wireless controller (Sony)

-Two Games (One from each list)

-An HDMI Cable (Sony) or Bluetooth headset (Sony)

All for $500 (shipping, tax, everything).

EDIT: Just realized that the nearly $40 shipping cost plus the fact that most of the games on the first list are $30 bucks at most means I could buy a new, full priced game for that cost alone.

Are the 120 GB consoles good enough? From those lists, I'm mainly eyeballing Red Dead Redemption and Little Big Planet. I'm pretty set on RDR, but I'm open to being talked out of it. Is the bundle worth it?

List One (Spoilered for Huge)

-Bioshock

-Fight Night Round 4

-God of War Collection (First and Second)

-Grand Theft Auto IV

-Little Big Planet

-Metal Gear Solid 4

-Midnight Club: Los Angeles

-Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

-MotorStorm

-NHL 2K10

-Ninja Gaiden Sigma

-Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

-Resident Evil 5

-Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

-Ski Doo Snowmobile Challenge

-SOCOM: Confrontation

-Street Fighter IV

-The Bigs 2

-Oblivion

-UFC Undisputed

-Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

List Two (Spoilered for Huge)

-Alien vs Predator

-Battlefield: Bad Company 2

-Bayonetta

-Borderlands

-Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

-Darksiders

-Demon's Souls

-Dragon Age Origins

-Fallout 3

-FIFA Soccer 10

-Final Fantasy XIII

-God of War III

-Heavy Rain

-Just Cause 2

-Killzone 2

-MAG

-Sports Games (abbreviating for sanity)

-MotorStorm: Pacific Rift

-Red Dead Redemption

-Resonance of Fate

-Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

-White Knight Chronicles

-Yakuza 3

-Tekken 6

-Assassin's Creed 2

Edited by HeartlineTwist

I'm 90% sure my PS3 came with a HDMI cable anyway, despite me just getting a regular ol' PS3, no extra games etc.

To be honest, I think I have a 80gb or possibly 60gb PS3 and I've never had any space problems.

You can buy a new HDMI cable off eBay for under $5 (there isn't any difference between an off-brand cable and Sony's cable or a Monster cable).

Well, I already have one that's offbrand that's not being used for anything essential (it's currently attached to the BluRay player that got bundled with my TV.

The HDMI cable was an optional thing that added $40, but I could just switch that for the headset for the same price, or just ditch both things all together and save that amount.

$500?! Ouch. Is that cheap or expensive for over there?

Here a 120gb console in the shops is about $280. 250gb is about $330.

Control pad about $60. Games $50-$60 or so. HDMI lead comes as standard in the boxes I'm sure...

$500 for everything I listed, including sales tax and shipping. I priced out the components individually and the bundle still beats it. $500 is cheaper than the individual components by about $17.00, and I'm not sure if Wal-Mart will honor the "online price" in stores.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting this, though, but I'd love an opinion on the game I should choose from that first spoilered list.

I'm 90% sure my PS3 came with a HDMI cable anyway, despite me just getting a regular ol' PS3, no extra games etc.

To be honest, I think I have a 80gb or possibly 60gb PS3 and I've never had any space problems.

Yeah I have the 80 and I have had no space issues what so ever.

Just a question, are you in Canada or US. $500 for that much stuff here in Canada is a pretty good deal, I got a similar deal but minus the second controller and headset/hdmi cable and I could have any 2 new games at the time of purchase and I got a 3 year warranty from the store I got it (which I was told covers me throwing it against the wall...if I wanted).

Yesterday I finally got around to calling Sony to get my Singstar songs made available to download onto my new console.

The guy was very polite and friendly and helpful and they've got it sorted and I got an e-mail today confirming that it's been sorted! Huzzah!

I had space issues with my 60 gig. When all my favourite games were 5gig monsters (MGS, Everybody's Golf, Oblivion, Fallout...) space is quickly used up.

Now I have 250gb though and can't see that filling up any time soon...

Sorry, wha-? blink.gif

Edited by badotori

[donwest]That's freakin' insane![/donwest] Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Everybody's Golf (I had the original for the PS, addictive as fuck), but when a golf game takes up 1.5GB's more than Dragon Age: Origins...that's a bit mental. smile.gif