The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Since being pushed to an amorphous "spring 2011" release window back in October, DC Universe Online has been given a solid launch date once and for all: January 11 in North America and January 14 in the UK. Sony Online Entertainment confirmed the dates in an interview with IGN, also announcing the game's $199 lifetime subscription price (a bit over 13 months worth of sub. fees). "We're going to be here for far more than a single year. We've got a lot of universe to build, and we're not going to stop anytime soon," game director Chris Cao said of the lifetime subscription pricing.

Cao also detailed an end-of-the-world event that will take place within DCUO before it launches in January. "Jim Lee and our friends at DC are going to join us in a live, end-of-beta event where players will fight alongside and against the iconics as Brainiac's menace yet looms," he explained, adding, "It will be an epic end and thank you for beta. And it will set the stage for the real struggle to come in live."

Another struggle to come alongside the game's launch? How to get players to choose another mentor -- as expected, Superman was the favorite "by far." Of course, we'll be bucking the trend with a super villain mimicking hip-hop personality MF Doom. Too obvious?

Holy Shit, they better fix a ton of shit if they want to release this mid January... it´s all fine and dandy in Beta, but if this goes gold the way it is right now. o_O - I never had any other PS3 game crash this often on me.

The lifetime subsciprion is a nice thing, i wish they had something like that for WOW. Just pay once and don´t have a monthly fee that makes you feel you have to play more than casual.

As for the game, it feels pritty singleplayer. I tried conection my Computer Keyboard and i was not able to chat like you could... if you look at games lik WOW that might actualy be a good thing, but wen the MMO part gets reduced to a few PVP and Team Quests (and from what i have seen untill level 12 there issent a lot yet, it´s two PVP and one Team Quest) i don´t see why you would not just play some of the Marvel Team RPGs. Blablabla... not going to buy it anyway. Next year will be Team Ico only untill i finished all the shit i payed for but never finished playing....

Ellis buy Wipeout now.

It is done.

Also, Mirror's Edge has PS3 exclusive DLC, right? It's like £2 in HMV so I could conceivably pivot up a second copy. It's only time trails though, I think so probably not worth it.

I picked up Gran Turismo 5 on a whim - and I'm enjoying it but while reading tips online someone implied that I will never be that good with it if I don't buy a racing wheel. :(

Pretty sure that can't be the case. Sure a wheel might be realistic, but I always felt a controller was best. Got up to level 14 on A-Spec, but still having problems with B-Spec mode, only on level 3.

Also, Mirror's Edge has PS3 exclusive DLC, right? It's like £2 in HMV so I could conceivably pivot up a second copy. It's only time trails though, I think so probably not worth it.

I believe the PS3 got one free/extra DLC time trial level when the DLC came out, then the full DLC was made free. Because it was free it let me get my platinum. I've been thinking of playing it again for fun recently too.

In other news, I got the spray all Zombrex posters, save 50 Survivors and collect all combo cards from survivors trophies on Dead Rising 2. I'm 57% at the moment, easily about to get the use all firearms and the remaining combo card trophies shouldn't be too hard either. It'll then just the long haul trophies: 53k & 72k kills, use all melee weapons etc.

I picked up Gran Turismo 5 on a whim - and I'm enjoying it but while reading tips online someone implied that I will never be that good with it if I don't buy a racing wheel. :(

Pretty sure that can't be the case. Sure a wheel might be realistic, but I always felt a controller was best. Got up to level 14 on A-Spec, but still having problems with B-Spec mode, only on level 3.

B-Spec on the lower races is easy and boring. Just give em a car with enough power and on most courses they will win. (exept for the tracks with a gazzilion curves)

Aperently it becomes more fun wen you get to the pro races in wich the cares are somewhat the same and your decisions actualy matter.

Mirror's Edge is fantastic. Just a few levels were a bit tight and fiddly in some places. Still, it was amazing when it let you just run with all the cops and helicopters firing at you. Brilliant.

I'm still hoping for a Mirror's Edge 2. The original made even more slick would just be mind boggling.

Mirror's Edge is fantastic. Just a few levels were a bit tight and fiddly in some places. Still, it was amazing when it let you just run with all the cops and helicopters firing at you. Brilliant.

I'm still hoping for a Mirror's Edge 2. The original made even more slick and without the gunplay would just be mind boggling.

Gun play was crap. Then they decided to kind of make it essential later on in the game. o_O

The first couple of levels are brilliant, especially when you've got an amazing flow going, but then they decided to slow it down for some odd reason, going against the thing that made the game interesting. The game was apparently part of a 3-game story arc and number 2 has been started on. I just hope for the mechanics to be refined a tad, more faster paced levels and most importantly lengthened.

I wonder what would happen with multiplayer too. I'd like to see some form of A-to-B, any way possible type race at the same time, or even tag would be cool.

However there is a gold trophy (I think it's gold) for getting through the game without killing anyone. It would be REALLY hard though. I enjoyed the disarming though and I liked the stuff where you'd run up on them, disarm and then just toss the gun away. Very cool.

Yes there is, I did it. EVENTUALLY. After many many many many retries and cursing at the bitch. IIRC, it was the part where you step out of the van in the car park and have to go through the car park that was the pain in the ass.