The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

3D will attract the kids and idiot parents who see Nintendo and instantly assume it's the best thing out there, PSP2 will focus on proper gamers and obviously make less money. As long as there's a handheld that isn't purely about shovelling out as much shitty software as it can, I'm happy.

• Like 1

Well, most of the games are disappointing, but hey. I have a PS3. Highlights beyond GOWIII include Burnout Paradise (which I may not keep), and Bioshock 2.

3D will attract the kids and idiot parents who see Nintendo and instantly assume it's the best thing out there, PSP2 will focus on proper gamers and obviously make less money. As long as there's a handheld that isn't purely about shovelling out as much shitty software as it can, I'm happy.

All hail Sony for rejecting Super Meat Boy. :lol:

I don´t know. As long as there is a propper way to get to the good stuff, i don´t mind all the other BS. But i am not one for handheld gaming anyway. I bought a DSlite to catch up with the million GBA and DS RPGs i never played... but i barly ever use it. On my 4 houre train rides it´s laptop + movie or tv shows and at home it´s PS3 or SC2 (if i even find the time to play at all)

What would make this thind brilliant would be if (at least all the new) PS3 games you own could be played on it at no or little extra charge.

It looks impressive, just a shame it's going to get demolished by the 3DS in terms of sales. This is Nintendo's bread and butter since the DS, they innovate while the Big Two play catch up. Touch screens and motion control in the last few years, and glasses-free 3D up next, which everyone will scramble to implement when Nintendo moves along to the next thing.

But still, PS3 quality handheld gaming? That's pretty nuts. If they can keep the price tag down and the battery life up, Sony might rebound in the handheld market.

The big two meaning Microsoft and Sony? Well, microsoft would have a LOT of catching up to do, since it has pretty much zero out there for handhelds besides phones. As for rebounding? The psp handheld has sold 66 MILLION devices. Thats about 15 MILLION more than the Xbox 360 home system. Now, granted, the DS has sold about 144 million. Thats insane. But you can't say that sony bombed with control of 1/3 the market for hand held gaming.

3D is great. Don't get me wrong. I own a 3d tv. But I use it sparingly because I know that the 3d gimmick is just that. Its fun for a bit, then your mind ignores it.

I can't ignore the ability to play ps3 games and get trophies on the go. Thats awesome.

I meant catching up in terms of innovating in general, which Nintendo has been doing with every piece of hardware they've released since the DS. They challenge the preconceived notions of what "gaming" is and innovate while Sony and MS play catch-up later. The PSP is impressive that it even managed to survive in the market Nintendo had a stranglehold on, but at the same time, it's not really doing anything new and I don't see that changing with the new device. It's all "MORE POWER!" which I don't really think is what drives people to portable gaming. I don't want to play Metal Gear Solid 4 on the subway, I want to play Angry Birds or Plants vs. Zombies, something I can easily jump in and out of.

And I didn't mean to imply the PSP bombed, just that it doesn't hold a candle to the DS in terms of audience. Although judging from the software line-up (or lack thereof), it definitely bombed in 2010.

We've started allowing preorders at GameStop ourselves. No official price yet, but there's a tentative price of $300. Doubtful that that'll be the final price but, well, if you go down to GameStop and preorder it that's the most you can put down right now.

Kind-of makes sense and all, as that's the same price as the PS3, but even still... Sony's packing a lot into this thing, I can't help but doubt $300 is where it'll stay.

And I didn't mean to imply the PSP bombed, just that it doesn't hold a candle to the DS in terms of audience. Although judging from the software line-up (or lack thereof), it definitely bombed in 2010.

Metal Gear Peacewalker? God of War ghost of Sparta? Valkyria Chronicles 2? Persona 3? Kingdom Hearts?

Id say they had a great line up of games. I own 3 of the 5 mentioned above, and my buddy owns the two others.

I will grant you that it in no way compared to the sheer amount of games that nintendo put out. But lets not knock these games here. Ghost of sparta was beaten only by god of war 3 in quality in my opinion. I loved it.

You know, Im a pretty huge fan of sony, but I rather Xbox had SOME exclusives. Bioshock, mass effect and others have all come to PS3 eventually, and few have crossed the other way.

I just want there to be a reason to buy both, to keep a competitive edge on them. Does that sound weird?

dry.gif Thats why they keep releasing products so they can have that "edge" over their audience and consumers. Eventually we are all going to bow down to one or the other and their products, but for the time being they have us all wanting more and more products to keep us entertained with their own products - even when we've said enough is enough.. dry.gif.

I dont really know about that. In a sense nintendo was king, and sega challenged. Even after sega, sony came in and dominated for years. I dont think one company will ever have the edge over the other so long as one company sets a standard for itself and another sets the opposite.

There will always be room for another company, I just want said company to offer more than just the statement that its an alternative. I want them to prove it.

Report: PS3 getting cloud saving in firmware update 3.60

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/29/report-ps3-getting-cloud-saving-in-firmware-update-3-60/

As long as i still am able to save every game offline, i don´t care. Cloud saving is awsome for PC games since you actualy own more than one pritty often... but for PS3s... maybe it solves the silly savegame protection some games had. I thing you would not be able to move your LBP Save games to another ps3 for example.