Doctor Who

Benji

Did I imagine that flash of Rose on the TARDIS screen saying "Doctor" or did that actually just happen?

Ahahaha, "Are you my mummy?", awesome callback.

I saw the clip of Rose too.

And that episode was great. In fact, the whole 2 parter is up there with Blink imo for best episode since the re-start.

Oh, and whilst I'd have prefered Rattigan to have stayed bad, I loved his petty "Sontar~HA!" :D

The sky burning was a real Russel T. Davies moment (although he didn't write this one I'm assuming he had some power over it), it seems to be a trademark shortcoming of his to end up with Earth in a huge dilemma that there's really no logical way of getting out of, so the ending's always a bit of a cop-out or a deus ex machina moment - that said, this wasn't nearly as bad as The Doctor becoming Christ to defeat The Master >_>

• Like 1

I thought they were going to use logic, seeing as the CO2 was being placed "in different time zones" to stop it being registered in the atmosphere, I assumed he'd just choke the Sontaran ship with their own gas by using the exact same method.

Fantastic Episode, but I think they should have at least had the fire cause a lot of damage to the Earth and forced them to rebuild it. It magically being back to normal felt like a cop out, but ehh, worse has happened. Next weeks looks fun, but probably wont be a patch on these past two episodes.

That was great. I wouldn't go so far as to call it one of the best ever, and Blink was comfortably the better episode, but that was still great stuff. This episode and last weeks make probably the best two-parter of 'New Who', contending with Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. I can easily forgive the sky burning, the Sontarans were great again, and The Brigadeer got a reference! Just great stuff all round.

And yeah, that was blatantly Rose on the TARDIS screen.

Edited by timmayy Aaron XXIV

I loved this episode to, I called the kid blowing up the Sontarons ship perhaps it was a little obvious. Yeah, I noticed Rose on the Tardis to and laughed at the "Are you my mummy" Line. Next week looks interesting, I'm wondering how the hell they're going to pull that off.

But uh, I still don't like Martha, and I'm slightly annoyed she's being taken with them. Besides all of that I Loved the whole episode as I thought it was easily one of the best. The ending was a little meh, but I think in the end it worked.

I'm enjoying this series far more than I have any other to date.

I only saw this earlier today and yes, I nearly busted a gut at "Are you my mummy?" It wasn't as funny as all that but it caught be off-guard and well, great line.

EDIT - Oh yeah, the lass playing his daughter used to be in the Bill and she is fit as fuck. She also gave birth at 16 so must be easy. :shifty:

Edited by 9 to 5

Ugh...bit of a cop-out already. I was hoping that the "Daughter" would have already existed, and would be explained during the episode, not be created within the opening minute.

Yeah, wasn't a fan of that. The whole character of Jenny was rather superfluous, and the episode could have happily existed without her, up until the end when we get yet another reason for The Doctor to feel lonely, and to remind us that he's the LAST TIME LORD. And then...ugh, that ending...so, obviously, Jenny's back eventually, either as recurring character #73 or as a deus ex machina when The Doctor inevitably runs out of lives. Either way, that ending was tacky as hell, and she was a dreadful character. Maybe I'd have liked the ending better if The Doctor hadn't already mentioned that Jenny would have two hearts, and if we'd been left with a bit of a cliffhanger as to how she was still alive, and if we didn't get that corny "LET'S GO SAVE THE UNIVERSE, KIDS!" ending from her.

Next week's looks pretty rubbish, but it's the mandatory light-hearted episode again.

deus ex machina when The Doctor inevitably runs out of lives.

I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head. The Doctor's comment that "she's too much like me" seems a subtle suggestion that he can't regenerate anymore. Quite why, I don't know.

What bothered me more, is if she did actually die, and then regenerate, why didn't she change? Or did she not properly die? And how did they not notice that? Gah.

She didn't regenerate because she didn't completely die - Time Lords have a few survival mechanisms before they have to regenerate, the most famous of which is the two hearts...chances are one of her hearts was stopped, and after a brief pause, her second kicked in. I have no idea what the Doctor meant by the "she's too much like me" comment.

As I said earlier, I think the episode would have been much stronger if Jenny had already existed, and her backstory was explained during the episode, that way the Doctor's grief at her "dying" would have been much stronger, as she'd already had a life that he'd missed out on, and now he'd never get the chance to get to know her...as it was, he spent most of the episode just insisting she was nothing but a cluster of cells, and then half an hour later she was dead.

I have no idea what the Doctor meant by the "she's too much like me" comment.

I took it to mean that she's too much like him as she chose not to kill the general, who then shot her.

I agree the episode was poor though, and the ending seemed like a big copout.

Personally I thought the episode was brilliant. If his daughter had already existed she would inevitably have turned into her mopping about why he never looked for her before or that she was an emo kid, bitter that he was never there when she grew up. Besides, this is Doctor Who, it's always been fantastical, so why can't she have just been created at the beginning of the episode? I had no problem and thought it was good.

Jenny's death scene was quite emotional, could see it coming a mile off, but still took nothing away from it. The Doctor's speech to the general was very powerful, especially the "I never would" line, it drew a smile out of me.

The ending did take a little away from the power and emotion of the earlier scenes, but still it builds to the future episodes, something I feel Doctor Who doesn't do enough off. So thumbs up from me.

Personally I thought the episode was brilliant. If his daughter had already existed she would inevitably have turned into her mopping about why he never looked for her before or that she was an emo kid, bitter that he was never there when she grew up. Besides, this is Doctor Who, it's always been fantastical, so why can't she have just been created at the beginning of the episode? I had no problem and thought it was good.

Jenny's death scene was quite emotional, could see it coming a mile off, but still took nothing away from it. The Doctor's speech to the general was very powerful, especially the "I never would" line, it drew a smile out of me.

The ending did take a little away from the power and emotion of the earlier scenes, but still it builds to the future episodes, something I feel Doctor Who doesn't do enough off. So thumbs up from me.

I completely agree. Really enjoyed this episode and thought it was great. I'm not a religious Doctor Who watcher tbh-was a bit miffed that Chris Ecclestone left after one series and didnt like David Tennant much at first, but this episode was great IMO, I liked the Genny character and have enjoyed this series so far.

I think its cool that she actually is the daughter of the 5th doctor, that and she's incredibly fit.

I started by thinking that the entire 'she's a clone' part at the beginning of the story was a bit of a cop-out...but the 'I've been a father before' speech made up for that.

People kinda forget that when we first met The Doctor (played by William Hartnell) he was travelling with his grandaughter. People have suggested that Susan might not have been his biological grandaughter, that he'd picked her up as a companion and kind-of adopted her, but I've always liked the idea of The Doctor having had a family in the past, and the fact that they must have died in the Time War adds to his character.

She didn't regenerate because she didn't completely die - Time Lords have a few survival mechanisms before they have to regenerate, the most famous of which is the two hearts...chances are one of her hearts was stopped, and after a brief pause, her second kicked in. I have no idea what the Doctor meant by the "she's too much like me" comment.

Yeah, that's what I mean. How did a doctor who's supposedly smart on time lord stuff or the doctor himself not think to check for that? I dunno, it just bugged me.

I laughed at the end.

TAhat ending was just that stupid.

Next week's looks just like the standard Queen Victoria/Shakespeare type of episode. An entertaining little romp but mainly filler and a chance for the Doctor to "give" these historical figure the initial idea for them to do what they became famous for...