The Place Where Fallout Purists Whine

I need to go into Vault 34, and since it's so fucking massively irradiated, I tell Veronica to stay ouside, not knowing whether she'd be affected and not wanting to take the chance. I bring ED-E since hey, he's a fucking robot.

So we go in, and we kick ass, we loot the place and so on. Only, about halfway through, ED-E gets cornered by a group of Ghouls, and is visibly and audibly exploded. Understandably pissed off, I kick their asses before reloading, but wait. No message saying ED-E has died. I still have his perk in the list, but he is very much destroyed. And then, randomly, Veronica appears at my side. I clear the place out, take all the loot and leave the vault. I'm now in Novac, and ED-E still hasn't magically reappeared, but I definitely still have his perk.

My question is, should I carry on, having cleared the fucking vault and completeled the quest, and levelled up etc, and just carry on since it's no big loss thanks to still having the Enhanced Sensors perk, or will this royally fuck me up in future, since I was wanting to recruit Rex later? If the game doesn't realise ED-E is dead, does that mean I can't have a new non-human follower? :(

I tried to get Rex to come with me, but it said I couldn't. And I was in the same situation, with ED-E gone but his perk still active.

Yeah, Rex won't come with me. Fucking lame.

I'd suggest going to Broc Flower Cave. Its not far from nipton really. Youll find a great rifle there, the ratkiller. Upgraded varmit rifle with all the attachments already on it.

Past that, theres a named sniper rifle in snipers roost by the legion.

After that, you dont NEED boone. Plus he is one kill stealing fucker.

Actually, I cleared out the Deathclaw quarry without Boone at my side. It would have been easier for me if I had him sitting pretty in Sloan to have his perk, but I pretty easily just cleaned house on my lonesome with a silenced sniper rifle and AP rounds.

The Alpha Male came very close to killing me, but thanks to some Turbo and a Super Stim I survived.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Don't take companions into Vault 34; it's bugged. There is a spot where companions will spot a group of ghouls behind an inaccessible door and they will stay there, hostile to a group of enemies they can't shoot, and never leave. I used console commands to drag Arcade to safety, but he'd otherwise still be there.

They aren't effected by radiation, though.

PS3 version has them go hostile to the ghouls as well, but I've never had them get stuck.

Might be PC-only bug?

Boone is completely awesome. Anyone not using him is missing out on the joy of suddenly finding out that enemies you hadn't even noticed yet have been killed in a manner most gory.

Yeah Im actually with arcade now. For a doctor, that fucker can shoot. While boone (who I did use for a good 8 levels or so at least) is a hell of a killer against tough guys, arcade locks down and tears up light to moderates like tissue. You meet guys like Fiends, and they are all dead in seconds. In other words, he's just a fast shot with a deadly wep, and very little time to lock a follow up shot. On multiple guys, arcades really surprising for utility. Plus his power of gaining extra health means getting your trophies for eating and stims will come quicker since you don't have to be too careful. Take a few hits and heal up, theres no real worry about death.

Boone is a benefit if you give him a Sniper with AP 308, because he can take out Deathclaws. Deathclaws are very resistant to energy weapons. Otherwise, Gannon is your man.