The England thread

Nugent should be called up as well. Might as well give the guy a chance. And while we're at it, fucking drop Downing. Oooh, he can play on the left. Fucking wonderful. It's a shame he isn't ready to do it at international level. You might as well stick Gerrard on the left, because he'll do just as well (probably better) than him.

Here's the BBC story for it all:

McClaren plays it safe with squad

England coach Steve McClaren delivered no surprises in his squad for the Euro 2008 ties against Israel and Andorra.

Manchester City's Joey Barton, Aston Villa's Gareth Barry and Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips are left out after the defeat against Spain.

McClaren's main dilemma will be at left-back, where he will choose between Jamie Carragher and Phil Neville.

Ashley Cole is suspended for the Israel game, but can play against Andorra, while Wayne Bridge is injured.

Preston's David Nugent must await the outcome of the weekend's Premiership games before discovering if he will be promoted from the under-21 squad preparing to face Italy at Wembley.

McClaren watched the 21-year-old play against Ipswich in the Championship game on Tuesday.

"I would have no hesitation, through his performances in the Under-21s, to put him in the squad," said McClaren.

England have injury worries over Aaron Lennon, whose knee injury has flared up again, but Rio Ferdinand has recovered from a cracked rib during Manchester United's FA Cup tie at Middlesbrough.

The England boss has been impressed with Nugent, adding: "He's got a lot of goals in the Championship, every season he does that.

"Internationally you look at the Under-21s and if he can score at that level, and he has done."

The England coach has also backed Tottenham's Aaron Lennon, 19, to handle the pressure of the crucial matches.

"Aaron came into the World Cup squad and excited us from day one," said McClaren.

"He still has a long way to go but he has a lot of potential and we expected to see a lot more of him this season than we actually have because of illness and injuries.

"We need experience in this game but he has been to a World Cup, so I have no hesitation putting him into my squad."

Lennon is expected to start on the left of midfield for the match in Tel Aviv on 24 March, ahead of Kieron Dyer and Stewart Downing.

Illness and injury have restricted the Tottenham player to just three substituted appearances since McClaren succeeded Sven-Goran Eriksson last summer.

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard is set to be named on the right of a four-man midfield which will feature Owen Hargreaves and Frank Lampard in the middle.

McClaren is hoping to select Robinson in goal, with Jamie Carragher at left-back, Gary Neville at right-back and John Terry alongside Rio Ferdinand in the centre of defence.

Wayne Rooney is expected to play alongside Andy Johnson in attack if all come through their weekend Premiership fixtures unscathed - with Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe also in line for a call-up.

Meanwhile, if Nugent appeared for England he would be the first Preston player to do so since Sir Tom Finney in 1958.

Liverpool-born Nugent joined North End - currently fourth in the Championship - from Bury for £100,000 in January 2005.

He has been named in the England Under-21 squad to play against Italy at Wembley on 24 March.

Edited by jeffhardystalkerisgod

Hmm, I like how only 1 player plays outside of England, and only two are actually contracted to a club outside of England. However not much else is great to look at.

Defoe is a more off the bench player for me, but he has the occassional game where he shows some true class, but he's second fiddle to Keane and Berbatov - so he doesn't really warrant to start for his country. Carragher I like being in the side, everyone hates him but he's one of the more complete defenders in the team and I like him being in the side, more reassuring than many players.

Definately needs more Barry and Nolan, as already stated. Less Downing, would be beneficial but McClaren isn't going to miss a chance to include Downing as always. Johnson will no doubt do his thing - falling over a bit. Here's hoping to a Rooney, Bent partnership, but the strikeforce doesn't leave me entirely satisified. Of course, Owen is the Jonny Wilkinson of Football, he's great, but he's injured more than not and therefore we can't really expect anything from him ever, essentially approaching the team selections and saying "well chances are Owen won't be available, if he is then that's a bonus."

As 9 to 5 said, everyone was quick to jump over Sven but at least he got us qualified with relative ease. I've said from the moment he was in the running I didn't want McClaren because I didn't think he'd fit it, but my friends and everyone else assured me "he'd be better than Sven." Well, so far he hasn't been in my eyes, we got off to good first few games with McClaren but it's been pretty much downhill since then. Wanted Scolari but that went sour when our moronic media decided we'd camp in his front garden so we could snap pictures of him through his bathroom window or whatever, then Allardyce was pulled out of the running essentially leaving us with McClaren who thought "I've got rid of Beckham, everything is okay now." The best thing he has done so far is give Lennon a chance, which I think is great, but I wouldn't complain to see Beckham come back at least in a substitute form, he's played his socks off in Spain and deserves a chance, McClaren just seems to have set up some sort of anti-Beckham stance though.

Oh and let's expect another lacklustre game from Lampard, he has the odd great game, but if he doesn't have this great game - then he's pretty unconvincing. I used to like him, I still think he's a good player, but he's not as good as some people think, but I've kind of run out of second chances for him.

Just my opinions on the matter.

Bent is struggling for fitness aye? Nugent might get in yet although its not the best time to blood someone who hasn't played in the Prem yet. Woah, World Cup flashback. Nolan should have been called up by now but RW is right, he hasnt done too much this season for me. Bentley yes I am I am biased but he is in the form of his life right now. Lennon, yes should be in the team before him but Bentley could and can change a game in a moment and England really need players like that who arent called Rooney.

Mclaren just picks the squad by name and not performance

Barry has perhaps been the best england left midfielder for the past 4 seasons yet no recalls for him

Yet Phil Neville gets picked and Dyer?

Fucking pathetic

To be fair, Nolan's done a great deal of "sod-all" recently.

Yeah, but he's been mugged of an England spot for a good couple of years, and is only recently on a little downturn. He can still do a job for England even if he isn't particularly in sparkling club form.

And I don't get people whinging about Dyer...have you seen him play for Newcastle recently? He really makes a difference, and he is a player that is willing to take people on and to get behind the defense, which is what we need.

I also still don't get the Downing complaints....he needs to find his feet, but people were calling for him to get a shot in the team a while ago, and seem to only complain because it is Steve who gave it to him. He isn't dead and buried as an international yet, far from it.

To be fair, Nolan's done a great deal of "sod-all" recently.

And I don't get people whinging about Dyer...have you seen him play for Newcastle recently? He really makes a difference, and he is a player that is willing to take people on and to get behind the defense, which is what we need.

Goalkeepers:

I'm of the opinion that David James should be in the squad because of form - however long-term he won't be an option so I'm happy with Carson and Foster in there for constant experience.

Defenders:

I think Phil Neville gets a raw deal personally. Yes he's not the best player in the world but far worse have played worse for England - however since McClaren isn't 'risking' it with relatively new squad members I can see why he's been selected. Perhaps Baines could be involved with the squad to see how he'd get on, but as McClaren seems to want experience at left-back for the start against Israel I can see why younger options haven't been called up yet.

Midfielders:

I'd have Downing in the squad simply because he's a natural left-footed winger - not necessarily starting, but you need a bit of variety. I'm glad that McClaren has finally noticed that Richardson and Jenas waste space (fingers crossed), and hopefully Wright-Philips will finally get it through his thick skull that he needs to actually play football to get in the squad, as he's wasted the last 18 months of his career. Shame that Barton isn't in there, but then again, I suppose he doesn't want to piss off Fat Frank.

Forwards:

Fair do's really, I don't think many would argue. I'll always claim that when Ashton is fit he'll be the ideal partner for Rooney upfront for England, but until then...