The England thread

To be fair, a side like:

GK: Hart, LB: Cole, RB: Walker, CB: Cahill, CB: Jones, CM: Cleverley, CM: Milner, RAM: Ox, LAM: Young, CAM: Wilshere, ST: Carroll.
would probably stand a shot of winning the World Cup if they got lucky (though ideally we need a better striker). But with the likes of Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott, G Johnson, etc in the side... not a chance.

Ashley Cole will be 33 years old by the 2014 World Cup. Still first choice?

Not that I'm inferring that he should/shouldn't be. I'm just wondering aloud.

Unless his form dips substantially before then I can't see why not, not like there's anyone better waiting in the wings... certainly wouldn't be confident with Gibbs or Bertrand unless they come on leaps and bounds.

Would like to see Leighton Baines get a few more opportunities for England - think he's improved at Everton defensively, would give us an extra option at set pieces and he's another player who can whip in a cross for Carroll. Gotta admit though that it would take a dip in form, like Matt said, or a long-term injury to Cole for him to lose his place - if he were fit for this game, Leighton'd be on the bench, after all.

• Admin
Moldova: Namasco, Armas, Epureanu, Bulgaru, Golovatenco, Sergei Kovalchuk, Sergei Kovalchuk, Gatcan, Onica, Suvorov, Patras, Picusciac.

Subs: Serghei Pascenco, Racu, Ovseanicov, Cebotaru, Bordiyan, Doros, Sidorenco, Alexandru Pascenco, Dedov, Ivanov, Alexeev, Negai.

England: Hart, Johnson, Lescott, Terry, Baines, Milner, Lampard, Cleverley, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gerrard, Defoe.

Subs: Ruddy, Walker, Bertrand, Cahill, Carrick, Jagielka, Walcott, Sturridge, Welbeck, Butland.

Referee: Paul van Boekel (Geboren)

Ashley Cole will be 33 years old by the 2014 World Cup. Still first choice?

Not that I'm inferring that he should/shouldn't be. I'm just wondering aloud.

Well, it would seem that we will be taking 34 year old Steven Gerrard and 97 year old Frank Lampard, so why not... dry.gif