The England thread

Rooney to captain England for the San Marino game.

I'd have expected them to go with Hart, but I'm fine with this. Just hoping Rooney doesn't just outright replace Defoe because he's been in very good form lately, looked especially threatening for England last match.

Me too. That's to forgetting Gerrard, not hating Liverpool (much).

With the number of missing midfielders I'd imagine Rooney will play off the striker where Cleverley played last game, Carrick and Cleverley behind him, exactly as per Man Utd on Sunday. I hope so anyway, was absolutely superb to watch.

Edited by Colly

Me too.

With the number of missing midfielders I'd imagine Rooney will play off the striker where Cleverley played last game, Carrick and Cleverley behind him, exactly as per Man Utd on Sunday. I hope so anyway, was absolutely superb to watch.

It's been a staple of my FM games for a while (if I manage England), Rooney at AMC is probably the best place for him.

I think it's more that you'd struggle to trust him not to get sent off in a big game, or needlessly lunge into a ridiculous challenge. Or you'd spend the game on edge if he picked up a yellow. That said, he's put in some impressive performances and I support the inclusion of young players - it can do some people a world of good just training with the squad.

The thing about Shelvey is he's just 20, he's still pretty raw still and is going to do stupid things now and then.

Honestly think Defoe deserves to start ahead of Welbeck, but I can see what Hodgeson's trying to do with United players, I'm guessing it's gonna pay off either way. Solid team. Would like to see Lennon at some point tonight to see if he can transfer some of his club form and see if he can actually perform on a bigger stage. Would also love to see Shawcross get a shot, too.