The England thread

59 minutes ago, MDK said:

Hopefully Butland plays in net since it is a friendly. On paper that seems like a crap squad :/

When is the England squad not crap on paper? 

1 minute ago, David Marrio said:

Stop living in the glory years of semi finals and quarter finals :shifty:

YOU'VE GOT TO HOLD AND GIVE BUT DO IT AT THE RIGHT TIME, YOU CAN BE SLOW OR FAST BUT YOU MUST GET TO THE LINE

• Like 3

I think Keith Allen is the answer to all our problems.

I also thought the squad looked pretty weak when I read it. How are we going to turn into contenders by the Euros? I suppose the short answer is that we aren't. Who is actually out injured at the moment? Sturridge, Walcott, Ox, Ings, Jagielk and Baines? None of them coming in makes us look much better really, bar Sturridge.

At least we are solid in the keeper department. What happened to the quality of our defenders tho? Seems like only yesterday we had loads of quality at the back and now we are almost calling me up to slot in the back four. 

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

Hodgson on Vardy and whether he will play through the middle:

"As a coach you are aware of players' form, what condition they are in physically and mentally. Players like Jamie give you great pleasure and excitement to work with. Jamie has only played a handful of games for England, he should be happy to be in the squad and even happier if he makes the team. He has a job to convince us he has the ability to play as a centre forward and not get too hung up about where he plays."

:bang:

55034.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDK said:

At least we are solid in the keeper department. What happened to the quality of our defenders tho? Seems like only yesterday we had loads of quality at the back and now we are almost calling me up to slot in the back four. 

There doesn't seem to be many quality English centre backs coming through the ranks. Whether that's down to them not being the chance or not being good enough or a combo of the two. 

Only really promising English centre back atm is Stones. 

5 hours ago, David Marrio said:

There doesn't seem to be many quality English centre backs coming through the ranks. Whether that's down to them not being the chance or not being good enough or a combo of the two. 

Only really promising English centre back atm is Stones. 

Stones and Smalling have found their feet. It's not  Ferdinand/Terry/Woodgate anymore, but it's good.

I think England's biggest problem is their coach, Roy Hogdson. I know the top guys don't want to be in his position (as England manager), but trying to get a young, modern, hungry guy (someone like Eddie Howe for example) would be a better ask than a mediocre manager like Roy.

23 hours ago, Adam. said:

Roy isn't a mediocre manager and I don't think he's the problem. I also don't think there are many other options for the England job. Eddie Howe needs more top level experience before ever being considered for a job like that.i

I think Hodgson certainly has a ceiling as a coach. He's had big football jobs at club level and it's not gone amazingly well. His greatest ability is to manage expectations and play it safe. He will never win you a major trophy unless you are a Scandinavian club

Being beaten on penalties and in extra time in the UEFA Cup final, the latter time with Fulham of all team, is nothing to be sniffed at tbh.

Edit: considering that he's a knighted member of the Order of the Lion as well, I'd say there's no one more appropriate to lead England, hurr durr. >_>

• Admin

James Milner has withdrawn from the England squad to face Spain and France.

The Liverpool midfielder pulled out with a hamstring injury before Roy Hodgson’s team flew to Alicante to begin their preparations for Friday night’s game at the Estadio José Rico Pérez.

No replacement will be called up for Milner, who sat out the Premier League defeat against Crystal Palace at Anfield on Sunday.

He was substituted on the hour in the Europa League win against Rubin Kazan in Russia and Liverpool have yet to say how long they expect him to be out for.

England will remain in Spain until Saturday before they return to London for an equally tough test against the Euro 2016 hosts France at Wembley on Tuesday.