The England thread

• Admin

Roy Hodgson has announced that England’s captain, Wayne Rooney, will not start Friday’s friendly against Spain in Alicante.

The England coach insisted that the reason for the decision is that he is simply keen to give all England’s forward players a chance to press their case before the Euro 2016 finals. The Manchester United striker will, fitness permitting, instead feature against France next Tuesday.

With Jamie Vardy also set to miss out because of injury, Harry Kane is expected to lead the attack. Ross Barkley, the Everton midfielder, is likely to be deployed behind Kane against Spain.

Hodgson said: “Wayne’s with me today because he’s the captain of our team, he’s the most important figure as a result, but he actually won’t start the game tomorrow.

“I’m telling you that because Wayne and I are very anxious that we’re not trying to fool anybody or bamboozle anybody when he’s sat alongside me. That’s for the very simple reason that we’re looking at various combinations. Wayne is pencilled in against France on Tuesday.”

Rooney understands the need to rotate the squad, adding: “It’s important especially in these games that the manager has a chance to see as many players as he can before the tournament in the summer.

“As a player you want to play but you have understand that there are bigger things to consider.”

His fellow striker Vardy, who has scored in his last nine Premier League matches, is doubtful due to a niggle he picked up in Leicester City’s victory over Watford, and is also struggling to be fit for the France match.

Hodgson added: “Jamie Vardy is struggling with a knock he picked up on Saturday. We’re monitoring it, we’re still working on it but it looks unlikely at this moment in time that he’ll be able to play tomorrow.”

Joe Hart will captain the side.

I am, good job I've been in and out of the kitchen for most of the first half making food. We just look really unimaginative and lacking ideas. Far too many silly mistakes too. One or two good passing moves once we got in down the left hand side but otherwise, it's been a dreadful watch.

First goal was amazing. Just fantastic.

Second I was certain was offside. Second viewing showed Kyle Walker ambling up playing everyone well on. He was one of our worst players tonight, but it was a bad performance. Not hopeful of the months to come to be honest, we don't look like we've made much progress.