The England thread

I'm pretty sure that Drinkwater/Townsend, Delph and Rashford will be cut.

I agree with this obsession of fitting people in culture being an annoyance. At the end of the day, there are better players in Rooney's natural position of centre forward. For the good of the team, he shouldn't play. He's asked to play in centre midfield, we have natural midfielders better than him to play there. 

My team for game one would still be;

Hart, Clyne, Cahill, Smalling, Bertrand, Dier, Alli, Wilshere, Lallana, Vardy, Kane.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Townsend, Delph and Rashford shouldn't be there over Albrighton, Noble and Defoe but hey. 

I'd argue Rashford should be. He'll more than likely not make the cut for the 23, and if he does, he's 5th choice striker. He'll hopefully learn from the experience whatever happens and be a better player for it. Defoe would almost definitely not get a game, nor make the cut, which makes taking him pointless, especially with the future in mind.

51 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Noble, Antonio and Cresswell should have been there in my opinion.

Over Rose or Bertrand? Definite bias, but Rose has been outstanding this season and Bertrand has gotten rave reviews for a while. Why Delph's in there is anyone's guess though. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'd argue Rashford should be. He'll more than likely not make the cut for the 23, and if he does, he's 5th choice striker. He'll hopefully learn from the experience whatever happens and be a better player for it. Defoe would almost definitely not get a game, nor make the cut, which makes taking him pointless, especially with the future in mind.

Over Rose or Bertrand? Definite bias, but Rose has been outstanding this season and Bertrand has gotten rave reviews for a while. Why Delph's in there is anyone's guess though. 

Valid point to be fair, I was going off form over the last season, but Rashford does have higher upside true. 

As someone who watched a lot of West Ham games this season, I would've only taken Noble. Cresswell has been very good the last two years now, but I do think defensively he's not as good as Rose or Bertrand, and that'll be what's most important for England I feel. As for Antonio, while his form has been good, he's also played most of the last few months at right back, not right winger. I can see why Roy went with a natural winger in Townsend over him.

But Whilshere and Delph getting in over Noble is a crime.

32 minutes ago, MDK said:

I'm sure Roy said that Rashford was just there to get a taster.

Ah, the Theo Walcott treatment, that turned out well. What's he ever really done apart from the hat-trick against Croatia? Noble is just doomed to never get an England game. Delph over him is a joke, I can see why Wilshere is in there on his involvement pre-injury, but Delph? He's done the square root of bot all in a lacklustre Man City. I'm disappointed but not surprised Defoe has been snubbed, Bent and Phillips were given the same treatment when playing for us. Defoe to get CM Punk esque chants at The SoL against Australia...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Part-Time Davidmarrio said:

Mark Noble is a poor man's Scott Parker. He would have got called up :shifty:

I want to tell you to shut your whore mouth for that slanderous comment about Mark Noble, but I don't think you can say those kinds of words about a sentence that still mentioned Scott Parker. He's just so dashing.

33 minutes ago, Just Joe said:

Ah, the Theo Walcott treatment, that turned out well. What's he ever really done apart from the hat-trick against Croatia? Noble is just doomed to never get an England game. Delph over him is a joke, I can see why Wilshere is in there on his involvement pre-injury, but Delph? He's done the square root of bot all in a lacklustre Man City. I'm disappointed but not surprised Defoe has been snubbed, Bent and Phillips were given the same treatment when playing for us. Defoe to get CM Punk esque chants at The SoL against Australia...

I don't see why Defoe shouldn't be without a shout. If Andy Carroll was being talked about then surely Defoe should go.

But there is no place for Arsenal's Theo Walcott, Everton's Phil Jagielka or West Ham's Mark Noble.

:crying:

But there is no place for Mark Noble.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/03/25/16/3285764B00000578-0-image-a-55_1458923212810.jpg

It's over between me and you, Roy.

All joking aside, I knew Noble wouldn't make the squad...but he really should have. I actually do not like this squad very much, and I don't think Roy is giving us our best chance to succeed in the tournament. My biggest gripe is the defence. Why the hell are there only three centre halves? Don't tell me Dier is the 4th choice, he isn't a defender and is arguably someone who should be starting in midfield. We have three CBs, two of whom have not had the best of seasons. I'm not being biased at all in saying that Jagielka should be on the plane, because I'd play him ahead of Stones and I wouldn't have taken Baines either. I think it is a waste of a space to take four full backs, there is never any need for that. You only need one of Rose and Bertrand, Clyne can cover left back if need be and Stones can be your right back cover if Clyne has to go to left back. Just stupid.

I can understand Wilshere being selected despite missing all season, like it or not he is an established member of the team and if it was, say Gerrard or Lampard a few years ago and they missed all season but got fit for the end of it, you'd expect them to be selected. If when he trims the three extra players he cans Drinkwater I am going to be fuming, and will probably just support Wales instead. There is NO WAY he should be dropped when he's named Fabian Delph in the squad, no way at all. He should be starting, nevermind being in the squad ahead of Delph, a half-fit Henderson, Wilshere and Milner.

The only area he's got right is the strikers, and even then I can see him ballsing it up by giving Rashford a cameo against Australia, him scoring when we're 2-0 up, then he takes him instead of Sturridge or something. Let's hope not.

I'd go with the following XI:

Hart; Clyne, Smalling, Stones, Bertrand; Drinkwater, Henderson; Vardy, Rooney, Alli; Kane

That's if Henderson is fit. I don't expect the actual side to look like that though, because I reckon Sterling will start over Vardy and he might not want to give Alli too much responsibility too soon.

3 hours ago, Just Joe said:

Rashford has arguably shown more technical ability and end-product already than Walcott ever has though. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Twist said:

Plus Rashford has actually played Premier League football. I'm not sure if this is even comparable to Walcott's selection.

Yup, especially as Walcott was picked for the full squad. Rashford will get a chance in the friendlies, spend time training with the first team, benefit massively and then get cut and spend the summer with the under 20s/under 21s/whatever it is this summer. It's actually the perfect way to use him. What's the point in calling Defoe up for the friendlies only to cut him? We don't exactly need to find out what he can do. 

Team I would like to see start the first game;

Hart, Clyne, Smalling, Stones, Bertrand, Wilshere, Dier, Alli, Rooney, Vardy, Kane.

Team I think we will start with:

Hart, Clyne, Smalling, Cahill, Rose, Henderson, Wilshere, Rooney, Sterling, Milner, Kane.

Also, for the love of god Roy, please stop playing Joe Hart in every friendly and meaningless qualifier. We need to actually see what our sub keepers can do for England. If Hart gets injured in this tournament, we're fucked because we've never given another keeper a look in.

Edited by Whisper