The England thread

Cracking bit of punditry from Lee Dixon, he thought there was a foul by a Holland attacker just before their second goal, and 'if it had been outside of the box he'd have given a free kick'. As opposed to inside the box, where the ref could've given a free kick.

Poor game last night aside, one thing really stood out for me...

John Stones needs to move abroad. We will utterly ruin him as footballer in this country. The kid has potential to be world class, but every time he dares to not hoof it aimlessly down field, the crowd and commentators are instantly on his back. Yes he'll make the odd mistake, he's still learning the game, but I'd happily take that over seeing him just lofting pointless balls into our lone striker's chest,  whilst said striker is surrounded by 4 defenders.

• Like 5

Thing with Stones is, as he is still learning it makes him a bit of a 'luxury' in defence at times and that's not helpful in a high pressure situation like when you're scrapping for points in the Premier League or playing in a major international tournament. I do think if he sticks to his playing style though he will he genuine world class in a few years and him and Smalling could be a formidable partnership for us.

As much as I love him, I don't think Smalling is a long term solution at centre back. I think he's too injury prone, despite his quality. He missed Euro 2012 with a groin injury, and didn't play until November of that year due to surgery on his metatarsals, and has been limited to 25 appearances in the league for the last two seasons. This is his first properly injury free season for us as one of our main centre backs, but I'd still be weary about England putting that kind of pressure on him. 

7 minutes ago, Troy Saint said:

On the subject of Stones, it was good to see a player for the other side of Merseyside slip, right @David Marrio? Eh? Eh?

Something something no trophy in 22 years <_<

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

John Terry must love how everyone's forgotten his slip because of Gerrard. XD

Probably also because Chelsea fans are now less affected by it in a WOO MUNICH 2012 WHO CARES ABOUT 2008 way, whereas Liverpool throwing the league away will be raw for a while yet. :shifty: 

• Like 1