AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Maxx

Naww, they just wanted them to get them on the highway walking...that way they'd just keep going and going until something else caught their attention. They didn't want them near, because the amount of noise that they made would attract more of them.

5 hours ago, Benji said:

I still don't know why they didn't just set a fire burning in the quarry.

Benji. l literally had this exact conversation with my husband. Molotov cocktails into the quarry. We are on the same wave length. TWINS. 

The quarry story is the most convoluted story they've done. It was just done to create chaos. 

• Like 1

The whole point of doing it, though, was because the walkers were drawn to the sound of the walkers in the pit, so only burning a third of them would have been a waste of time and resources. It wasn't just that they were trying to lure the walkers in the pit away from Alexandria, they were also trying to prevent even more walkers from falling into the pit and eventually risking Alexandria should they somehow get out.

But it wouldn't.  The blockade that collapsed was on the Alexandria side of the quarry, so more walkers would still be lead to it. 

Could you restate that? I'm not sure if I'm reading what you're saying correctly. In case I am...

The point of the plan was the fact that the walkers were making noise and that was drawing more walkers to the quarry. Leading all of them away would serve the purpose of eliminating the horde and allowing them to monitor the quarry in case any more showed up in the future. As it stood it was just a time bomb ready to go off. There's no way they would have been able to burn all of them and having zombies still roaming in the pit was the reason the pit got so filled up to begin with.

I'm not sure an uncontrollable fire would benefit anyone. Firefighters aren't around anymore. If some of the walkers leave the quarry (through the opening with the trucks like they made a point of showing us) and set fire to the woods then there goes the woods. 

I think the idea would be to reinforce the exits so that you prevent the zombies leaving. The only reason they didn't reinforce the quarry was because the noise was attracting more zombies. They could have actually reinforced the weak points and set fire to the quarry. 

I just think the plan of moving that many zombies was dumb and contrived to create a huge mess. On the show they kept saying it's easy to lead them because they just follow the pack. But there are so many variables that could lead them off course.  And who knows that the zombies after being led away don't somehow make their way back to Alexandria. 

16 hours ago, KAMALLARAMBO said:

I'm not sure an uncontrollable fire would benefit anyone. Firefighters aren't around anymore. If some of the walkers leave the quarry (through the opening with the trucks like they made a point of showing us) and set fire to the woods then there goes the woods. 

So keep folks at exits ready to stab any escapees until the fire burns out. Or heck, do a similar plan to what they did as well as setting them on fire, that way they could leads them to a corralled kill zone if they escape.

We're talking about a 1000+ walkers, there's no way they'd have enough of anything to burn all of them. The only reason the plan they had didn't work was because the cliff broke free. If it hadn't, the Wolves breaking in wouldn't have hurt the plan and the zombies would have still been stuck in the pit. Leading the zombies away in the other direction was a good plan. 1.) They're walking in the opposite direction 2.) They were leading them far enough away that any noise from Alexandria wouldn't have been heard 3.) The odds of them being led back to Alexandria would have been nil because no group would have been able to formulate a plan quickly enough to lure the walkers into the opposite direction.

At the end of the episode when they showed the remaining group of zombies being led away, that was like 1000+, there were like 1000+ more heading towards Alexandria. No way fire would have got enough of them.

Look at these,

vlcsnap-2015-10-13-16h43m05s107.png

031cccf6a09b92c4215454cb2d6c4580a16c9e4a

That's a lot of damn walkers. I was trying to find the pick at the end of the episode when the mob of walkers was breaking off. That really showed the size and scope of the mob. It was just far too big for them to handle with fire, IMO.

8 hours ago, Benji said:

So keep folks at exits ready to stab any escapees until the fire burns out. Or heck, do a similar plan to what they did as well as setting them on fire, that way they could leads them to a corralled kill zone if they escape.

Any volunteers for stabbing the flaming zombie? Anyone?

• Like 3

Re: there not being enough for all zombies to catch on fire, they are so bunched together and zombies don't die automatically from fire, so they would wander around catching others on fire. And zombies are drawn by sound, so if you got a build up of zombies on fire, the other zombies are going to gravitate that way and they'll catch on fire.