General Television Thread

Hellfire

3 hours ago, Baddar said:

I haven't seen episode 3 yet, but really enjoying it. The longer it stays quite straight-forward and doesn't demand you remember slight call backs from 7 seasons ago, the better.

I haven’t watched since season one so I hope it doesn’t!

On 10/4/2019 at 3:23 AM, Rey Cloudy said:

Big Mouth season 3 is up on Netflix!

I'm Teddy Roosevelt, and I suffer from water polio. And my wife is Eleanor DeGeneres. I got everything right, bay-bay!

Big Mouth season 3 spoilers that aren't just me quoting lines from it:

Spoiler

Jay's coming out story was pretty well done, I thought. Poor Jay. :(

6 hours ago, Rey Cloudy said:

Big Mouth season 3 spoilers that aren't just me quoting lines from it:

Reveal hidden contents

Just saw a clip from the new season and oh boy do I hope that they handle talking about trans people way better in the future. They definitely need a trans writer on the show. 

1 minute ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Just saw a clip from the new season and oh boy do I hope that they handle talking about trans people way better in the future. They definitely need a trans writer on the show. 

What clip was it? Are you talking about the Ali Wong episode? That's the only one that comes to mind that talks about gender at all. I think. I know they talk about pansexuality, bisexuality, etc.

6 minutes ago, Rey Cloudy said:

What clip was it? Are you talking about the Ali Wong episode? That's the only one that comes to mind that talks about gender at all. I think. I know they talk about pansexuality, bisexuality, etc.

Yeah, the Ali Wong episode. There are a bunch of things that are kinda not great about that scene. The whole taco/burrito thing for one. It also implies that only people who are pansexual or bisexual would be interested ins omeone who is trans, when in reality, there are a lot of straight people who are into trans people. 

This is the clip

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Yeah, the Ali Wong episode. There are a bunch of things that are kinda not great about that scene. The whole taco/burrito thing for one. It also implies that only people who are pansexual or bisexual would be interested ins omeone who is trans, when in reality, there are a lot of straight people who are into trans people. 

This is the clip

Ah, I didn't look at it like that when I watched the episode. I didn't really get the impression that the implication was that only bi/pan people would be into a trans person, but I'm not trans, so pardon my language but the fuck do I know? You can speak to that better than I can.

And oh, for sure, straight people are into trans people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rey Cloudy said:

Ah, I didn't look at it like that when I watched the episode. I didn't really get the impression that the implication was that only bi/pan people would be into a trans person, but I'm not trans, so pardon my language but the fuck do I know? You can speak to that better than I can.

And oh, for sure, straight people are into trans people. 

I also feel like I need to watch the rest of the show/episodes to see if it's presented differently in other parts of the show. I know that some people are also commenting that it's biphobic, but I know that they touch on bisexuality in the rest of the season. 

6 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I also feel like I need to watch the rest of the show/episodes to see if it's presented differently in other parts of the show. I know that some people are also commenting that it's biphobic, but I know that they touch on bisexuality in the rest of the season. 

I think that's honestly the first time they really comment on gender identity or sexuality. It's been a while since I watched season 1 or 2, but I do know that episode and a few other episodes touch on sexuality in season 3. Not so much on gender identity. That's hopefully something they tackle in season 4 (with a trans writer, preferably). 

EDIT: They have a trans writer for season 4!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/style/patti-harrison-trans-actress-comedian.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rey Cloudy said:

I think that's honestly the first time they really comment on gender identity or sexuality. It's been a while since I watched season 1 or 2, but I do know that episode and a few other episodes touch on sexuality in season 3. Not so much on gender identity. That's hopefully something they tackle in season 4 (with a trans writer, preferably). 

EDIT: They have a trans writer for season 4!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/style/patti-harrison-trans-actress-comedian.html

Oh, Patti Harrison is great! Very weird, but hilarious. 

• Like 1

On 23/10/2014 at 10:27, Jimmy said:

More people need to watch The Detectorists on BBC 4. Toby Jones & Mackenzie Crook are brilliant in this understated comedy. Really, really worth a watch.

Watched the first two seasons today. It's lovely!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Finally got round to watching Peaky Blinders. Finished the second season yesterday and boy, what a terrific show. 

It's first three seasons are pretty good, though it really starts to diminish a bit in the third. The fourth season is... certainly something, but it stopped me from jumping on the fifth season straight away when it came out. 

The new  Are You Afraid of the Dark? is off to a good start.  Kept the theme the same and has the vibe.  Hard to judge it against episodes of the original series as this one is a mini-series with one story throughout, not a bunch of stand alones.  But it does a good job of fleshing out this new Midnight Society.

The villain looks like the guy from Panic at the Disco, and there was a daaaaawg

• Like 1