General Television Thread

Hellfire

The idea of it going back to Fox makes even less sense when you consider they likely canceled The Cleveland Show just to make room for McFarlane's new live action show, Dads. The Cleveland Show gets sold into syndication and Fox and McFarlane get to make even more money with a new show.

Oh I guarantee you that syndication rights came into play when they made the decision because it's happening at all the networks now. Because ratings are down for networks in general, a show that's close to reaching 88 episodes (the magic syndication number - it used to be 100) is more likely to get renewed than a show that isn't or has already reached that number. If The Cleveland Show was a year away from reaching that number then it would've been renewed but the fact that it will reach that number by the end of the season, made the decision not to renew it that much easier.

Obviously ratings are taken into account but it's never been the sole factor and especially isn't these days. I mean, syndication is a major reason why Community could end up with another season. Well, that and the fact that it and Parks & Rec are the only veteran sitcoms they have to try and launch new shows with now.

It's still a big merchandise money maker for Fox. The direct-to-DVD movies sold very well.

I imagine we will see it continue in some form or another. Comic possibly.

Yeah, the comics will almost definitely continue.

Why did no one tell me Ray McKinnon created a TV show?! I was watching The Shawshank Redemption on Sundance last night and I saw a promo for some show called Rectify. Looked kind of interesting, so I looked it up - and it turns out Ray McKinnon created it.

Well I was planning on talking about it soon since I have it sitting on my DVR and meant to watch it last night before I got busy with other stuff. So...you could've found out then!

It's also produced by Mark Johnson who's also a producer on a little show named Breaking Bad.

Edit: Oh yeah, McKinnon and Walton Goggins also have a small production company together too!

Ah, so that's that show. I knew I'd heard promos for a show touted as being "from the producers of Breaking Bad", but I never caught the title up until last night.

I finally caught an episode of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown last night (trying to DVR CNN's programming is a bitch for some reason), and SURPRISE! It's No Reservations under a different name. The only real difference I've noticed is the production value is slightly higher (noticed a crane shot that I don't think would have happened on the Travel Channel) and he clearly has access to CNN's vast historical footage (he showed bits of the 1992 L.A. Riots.)

That's all to say it's still an awesome show. The one I saw was about Los Angeles' Koreatown and it was a particularly cool episode.

The bit with Dean and Charlie picking outfits in the latest Supernatural was seriously fucking bizarre but pretty great at the same time.

Also, their fake FBI names this time were Ripley and Hicks. That's fucking great.

• Like 1

Laverne's brilliant but she desperately needs to be given something to do rather than just sit there and look on awkwardly as the others exchange quips. It is such a dreadful show though, Jimmy Carr is painfully unfunny, Brooker and Mitchell are both fine but rarely at their best, and even as someone who identifies as left wing I still find the bias a bit unpalatable at times.

I like Jimmy Carr but that show is not good from the episode I saw. Some of your other shows like Mock the Week are tough for me to understand but I feel like I'd enjoy them if I got more of the jokes. 10 O'Clock was just dull. David Mitchell (guessing that's who you mean) wasn't on the episode I saw, though.

Aye, I pretty much only watched again because I figured that they may have worked out the kinks by now, but they haven't. I stopped watching after about half an hour and I don't think I'll give it another shot. It's near criminal how unfunny the show is considering it's hosts.