General Television Thread

Hellfire

I take it that means any show that's produced by them? That sucks a bit. I download all my shows, but there's some good stuff in their list. Supernatural, Suburgatory, The OC, Veronica Mars, Smallville, Friends, Chuck, Fringe, The US Shameless (which is amazing) and Arrow. Plus a bunch of other shows that're big but I can't say I personally care about (Vampire Diaries, The Voice and so on.)

It's going to be like Netflix for teenage girls in 2005. And me.

So The Rock is teaming with Mark Wahlberg on a pilot for HBO. It basically sounds like Entourage for athletes but fuck it, who cares?

Kind of surprising though, given how busy he is already, that he even has the time to do a(nother) show.

That's true but when it gets picked up (I'm not even pretending it isn't a lock), that's going to carve out a lot of his free time and the dude's schedule is already jam-packed. Just kinda surprising, is all.

He's doing both. Wahlberg is just producing.

No word on that, likely still being developed since I know The Rock has stated he's getting into producing more so we probably haven't seen the last of that idea.

The rebooted version of Catchphrase is good, but it's not right.

The problem is that when these shows are rebooted they tend to forget that the naff concepts for many of them were counterbalanced by the hosts. Look at 80s and 90s game shows and they're all hosted by either standups (Roy Walker, Bob Monkhouse, Les Dawson, the fella from Crosswits...) or generally funny variety types like Michael Barrymore, Les Dennis or Brucey. When ITV bring them back they stick charisma vacuums like Vernon Kaye on, and it just doesn't work.

• Like 1

Touch is still so good.

The rebooted version of Catchphrase is good, but it's not right.

The problem is that when these shows are rebooted they tend to forget that the naff concepts for many of them were counterbalanced by the hosts. Look at 80s and 90s game shows and they're all hosted by either standups (Roy Walker, Bob Monkhouse, Les Dawson, the fella from Crosswits...) or generally funny variety types like Michael Barrymore, Les Dennis or Brucey. When ITV bring them back they stick charisma vacuums like Vernon Kaye on, and it just doesn't work.

I want Strike it Lucky/Rich back!