General Television Thread

Hellfire

I liked Under The Dome. I thought it was a pretty good adaptation of good book - then again, I'm biased, being a big fan of Stephen King's works and all. I hope someone else here's read the book (Summers?) so I have someone to talk about book/show discrepancies and the like, though.

I haven't read the book but I thought it was pretty good. It's nice to see Dean Norris get high profile work with Breaking Bad ending later this year.

It'll be interesting to see the ratings because now that it's on CBS, it's not a limited series like it was going to be on Showtime so we may get multiple seasons. I'm not really sure the concept could really last more than a season or two, though.

I liked Under The Dome. I thought it was a pretty good adaptation of good book - then again, I'm biased, being a big fan of Stephen King's works and all. I hope someone else here's read the book (Summers?) so I have someone to talk about book/show discrepancies and the like, though.

I haven't read the book but I thought it was pretty good. It's nice to see Dean Norris get high profile work with Breaking Bad ending later this year.

It'll be interesting to see the ratings because now that it's on CBS, it's not a limited series like it was going to be on Showtime so we may get multiple seasons. I'm not really sure the concept could really last more than a season or two, though.

Aww really. I liked the first episode but I was hoping that it wouldn't go on much longer then a season, maybe 2. They need to resolve this mystery not let it drag on for season after season.

Also I couldn't be the only one that thought of the Simpsons Movie during this.

Aww really. I liked the first episode but I was hoping that it wouldn't go on much longer then a season, maybe 2. They need to resolve this mystery not let it drag on for season after season.

Also I couldn't be the only one that thought of the Simpsons Movie during this.

Yeah and unfortunately, given the state of TV ratings these days, I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts for a few seasons if the ratings are decent enough.

And no, you're not. TV critics (and just people aware of the show in general) have been making jokes about the similarities ad nauseum for awhile now.

Ok, I don't get what they tried to do with Barbie, a killer (?) and out of towner? At least they hinted a military background. And Junior kidnapping Angie, I assume is just to give the actress more scenes. Overall it was a pretty good adaptation

Book spoilers, hooooooo!

Ok, I don't get what they tried to do with Barbie, a killer (?) and out of towner? At least they hinted a military background. And Junior kidnapping Angie, I assume is just to give the actress more scenes. Overall it was a pretty good adaptation

Yeah, that was one of the things I was unsure about. While I was watching it I kept thinking that I didn't remember Barbie killing anyone in the novel. I'm pretty sure he was an out of towner in the books, though. It's mentioned that after he left the Army he started just drifting around, and he was trying to get out of Chester's Mill after a confrontation with Junior and his friends.

I assume the thing with Junior kidnapping Angie is just a really blatant way of showing that hey, Junior's kind of fucked in the head.

Book spoilers, hooooooo!

Yeah, that was one of the things I was unsure about. While I was watching it I kept thinking that I didn't remember Barbie killing anyone in the novel. I'm pretty sure he was an out of towner in the books, though. It's mentioned that after he left the Army he started just drifting around, and he was trying to get out of Chester's Mill after a confrontation with Junior and his friends.

I assume the thing with Junior kidnapping Angie is just a really blatant way of showing that hey, Junior's kind of fucked in the head.

He may have been an out of towner but he lived in Chester Mill, I remember reading that he worked at the restaurant, so pretty much everyone knew him. I wonder how Big Jim will take it if/when he takes control of the city.

I happened to care very little about spoilers for this particular book so I went ahead and read some stuff.

One of my issues with the Pilot is that Junior's transformation from weirdo to kidnapper was entirely too quick. Like, the kidnapping should've happened in the next episode and not the Pilot.

I also saw someone mention the change with Barbie killing the guy and I think that's because, as Sepinwall pointed out, Vogel's a much better actor when he's not playing a squeaky clean character.

Also, as Ant said, it got ridiculous ratings so be prepared to see this show around for awhile.

I happened to care very little about spoilers for this particular book so I went ahead and read some stuff.

One of my issues with the Pilot is that Junior's transformation from weirdo to kidnapper was entirely too quick. Like, the kidnapping should've happened in the next episode and not the Pilot.

I also saw someone mention the change with Barbie killing the guy and I think that's because, as Sepinwall pointed out, Vogel's a much better actor when he's not playing a squeaky clean character.

Also, as Ant said, it got ridiculous ratings so be prepared to see this show around for awhile.

In the book, Junior killed the girl as the Dome went up.

In the book, Junior killed the girl as the Dome went up.

I'm not saying that I didn't like it in relation to the book. I didn't like it because we're not given enough time to understand the complexities of the character prior to that. Everything up until that point painted him as a weird guy but none of it really suggested kidnapping. Not to mention that the impact of said plot means less when it's paired with the other bajillion things happening in the Pilot.

Like I said, I liked it enough and am definitely going to come back but the Pilot wasn't without it's issues as just a regular piece of TV, let alone one that's adapted from a book.

Has anyone watched Exit? It's so cheesy with the psuedo-deathtraps but it's fun to watch people struggle over the simplest of puzzles.

Some of the ridiculously bad answers/statements:

"The Walking... Garcia?"

"Frankenstein... [was killed by] machineguns!"

"The only Star Trek character I know is Darth Vader, and he's not one of the options!"

"All of these robots are from before I was born!" [One of the aforementioned robots is WALL-E]

"Wash out for your ears!"

I would definitely suggest it. Trust me, I was probably about skeptical about it's quality as anybody (I hate procedurals that aren't named Castle or Psych and even then, the former is pretty much just because of Fillion while the latter is because the buddy comedy aspect is stronger than the procedural elements to me) and only really checked it out because of Johnny Lee Miller but it's definitely more than that. The first half of the season establishes it as a solid procedural with serial elements but the second half really ups the serial storytelling. And as I've said, Miller is pretty damn deserving of an Emmy nom.

I'm not sure how somebody's reaction would be if they're fans of Sherlock, though.

I didn't watch it initially because I felt like with the films and the UK series (plus the fact I was watching House at the time), it felt like Sherlock-inspired overload to watch it. Film is long gone, Sherlock still hasn't aired, and I finished House a couple of months back, so seems like about the right time to dive in.