General Television Thread

Hellfire

Just watched the first episode of Luther and I'm very impressed. A lot of it is down to Idris Elba, obviously, but all round it was a very solid and entertaining first episode which I'm sure will continue to get better from the things I've heard.

I've watched five episodes in a row now, on the finale of Season One. I really do think it's a great show, and a good example of British TV done really right. The acting is top notch and the stories are engaging, and they have a good overarching story so far, which has been good, too. How many episodes did you do LL? Cos outside of a few moments in the opening episode, I can't really recall any annoying camera work. Might as well just drop another line of praise for Idris Elba. The man's fantastic.

I honestly thought it was Josh Brolin forever until my friend said it was Ron Perlman. I just haven't seen Perlman often enough to know him. Anyway, yeah, that was funny, but I hated the whole Charlie Day storyline. Which sucked because it was Charlie Day, but his story was just bad.

I watched the first episode and it had enough annoying things in it for me to not continue. A LOT of the camera work was just really wonky. And I'm not just talking about camera movement, but rather, camera placement. I hear that it's common place on a lot of British TV shows, though.

Is it necessarily bad or do they just have different standards/methods? I know on some level there's a science that has to do with eyelines and screen sizes but I'm wondering how much you can chalk up to artistry and how much is just not knowing how shots should be set up.

I dunno. There's a lot of movies produced by them that has proper methods. I'm not one to knock on artistry. I think people should try different things when filming, but when it came to Luther, a lot of it was so OBVIOUS, you know? It didn't seem right at all.

I'll have to watch out for it. I've been vaguely interested in cinematography since falling in love with the Leone films, so while I really don't have any training or schooling I do try to pay attention to shots I like.

WHOSE LINE RENEWED FOR SEASON TWO!

Whose Line has been renewed for a second season!

CW has renewed Whose Line for a 24 episode season. :D

Erm, I think we get it now guys. <_<

Speaking of The CW, they're also introducing The Flash in Arrow and then spinning him off in his own series with the main producers of Arrow spearheading it.

• Like 1

The Flash seems such a weird choice for a spin off when he's apparently got a film lined up for 2016.

I'm kind of interested in how DC seems to have half the Justice League lined up for shows. Green Arrow, The Flash, Wonder Woman... I hope the next one is Hawkgirl. I just want to know what the deal is.