General Television Thread

Hellfire

Yeah, I totally understand. I just really hate the crap out of her :P If there's one thing I'd fix, though, is somehow shorten those dream / hallucination sequences that Will always has, because as beautiful and gruesome as they are, after like 9 episodes I stopped caring about the damn deer and whatnot, it really slowed the show down for me.

Benkid in not liking the finer things shocker.

• Like 1

Michael K. Williams has said that Boardwalk Empire will have a 7 year time jump into the Depression era. Hopefully that'll happen somewhere near the end, since a lot of stuff will be missed. AV Club hinted at the worst, which is that by that year Rothstein is dead, so :(

Fargo

Pretty solid finale to an excellent show. I loved Lester's death and how fitting it was. Not happy about the way Malvo went out, but I'm too overly-attached to the character to be objective about it. I found myself vainly hoping he was like actually the Devil and was immortal or something.

:P

Man, if you guys wanted any evidence that season 4 of Community could have been much, much worse, look no further than season 4 of Awkward on MTV. What started as a pretty thoughtful, funny, well-done and sometimes poignant teen drama went way, way, WAY downhill after its creator & showrunner was replaced.

(Spoilers for season 4 even though I'm basically the only person here that watches the show, probably!)

My biggest gripe - aside from the fact that every character's stripped of any development and reduced to basic teen drama stereotypes - is the introduction of the Eva character. She's introduced and she's cloyingly nice and sweet and has an anecdote about everything from skiing in Switzerland to climbing the Alps to that time she kissed a guy on the Eiffel Tower and blah blah blah. She's essentially just there as an obstacle for two of the main characters, Jenna and Matty, to overcome.

Nevermind the fact that the majority of season 3 was about Jenna struggling with her feelings for Matty, trying to get over their relationship and remain friends, and Jenna eventually coming to the realization that she doesn't need a guy in her life to be happy or feel complete. That's all thrown out in the window in season 4 and completely ignored.

But going back to the Eva thing, in a shocking twist that surprises no one, she tries to drive a wedge between the majority of the main characters and quickly becomes a stereotypical, one-dimensional Mean Girl. And then there was last night's mid-season finale, where she's revealed to be a sociopath.

As if that weren't already enough to induce eye-rolling, when this is revealed to Matty - who at this point is her boyfriend - the writers suddenly switch gears and try to make her a sympathetic character. She stabbed a kid in the eye when she was nine? It was self-defense! She comes from a broken home! And by the way, now she's pregnant. See? She's sympathetic now, even though just 20 minutes ago you saw her Bulletin Board Of Crazyness with all its plans to wreak havoc on the main characters!

Basically, for as bad a rap as S4 of Community gets for not feeling quite like Community, at least it tried. The new writers and showrunners attempted to capture what made it so special in seasons 1-3 and even succeeded in some episodes. Season 4 of Awkward is only halfway through and it's already been reduced to every teen drama stereotype and trope and stripped of anything that made it an interesting, well-done teen drama. A real shame.

Three episodes into checking out Boardwalk Empire now. Honestly, it's okay, the best thing I can say about it so far is that I'm pretty happy that Steve Buscemi has a steady job. I just keep waiting for anything interesting to happen.

Also, has motherfucker been around for a longer time than I expected, or has Michael K Williams just decided to play Omar in the 20's? >_>

Obligatory post about season 1 of Boardwalk being a thing you just have to get through for when it gets good.

Also Omar Little and Chalky White are very different people.

• Like 3

Season 1 of Boardwalk is a okay but a slog, season 2 is better and has some great moments but isn't quite there, season three is where it gets tremendous. Honestly it might not be for everyone, it does need attention and investment, but if it is for you then you'll wind up loving it.

How much more nudity and sex am I looking at here? I realize it's a HBO show, but I've got an 8 hour flight on Friday that I was hoping to spend watching something. Don't really want my nan to look over and see some hardcore 1920's action. >_>

Yeah I wouldn't watch this on a plane if you're worried about that.

Yeah, Paz de la Huerta really hates clothes.

This just reminds me that I still need to get back on that horse and start watching Season 2.

Edited by livid