General Television Thread

Hellfire

1 minute ago, Benji said:

The Expanse is one of those shows I liked, but don't particularly find it interesting to talk about for any reason. It's very well made but it's not really "water cooler TV".

I'm just a sucker for sci-fi. I might get around to reading the books.

2 minutes ago, MDK said:

I'm just a sucker for sci-fi. I might get around to reading the books.

The books are brilliant and I highly recommend them.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

Oh yeah, it's a good show, and if you like space operas it'll probably be up your alley, but it's not like a lot of those shows where you (or I, at least), find yourself analysing and going back over a lot of stuff.

Oh no, but its perfect for when I want something fun to watch. Its like the people who enjoy CSI: Electric Boogaloo, its no Citizen Kane but you can enjoy it.

1 minute ago, DFF said:

The books are brilliant and I highly recommend them.

Seems like there are quite a few of them. Are we talking proper sci-fi or what?

3 minutes ago, MDK said:

Oh no, but its perfect for when I want something fun to watch. Its like the people who enjoy CSI: Electric Boogaloo, its no Citizen Kane but you can enjoy it.

Seems like there are quite a few of them. Are we talking proper sci-fi or what?

I'm not sure what you mean by proper sci-fi?

Chapters are character-centric (sort of like Game of Thrones in that respect), though there is little of the padding that bogs down larger scale works. Each book is a moderately contained story, but each book has some effect on the next and they are definitely meant to be read in order.

2 minutes ago, DFF said:

I'm not sure what you mean by proper sci-fi?

Chapters are character-centric (sort of like Game of Thrones in that respect), though there is little of the padding that bogs down larger scale works. Each book is a moderately contained story, but each book has some effect on the next and they are definitely meant to be read in order.

Well, I wasn't going to start at the end :shifty:

Just now, MDK said:

Well, I wasn't going to start at the end :shifty:

Haha, it's more that I have read people advocate for dipping in to particular stories (which doesn't make sense to be as this isn't like Discworld or anything wher eyou can just do that).

1 minute ago, DFF said:

Haha, it's more that I have read people advocate for dipping in to particular stories (which doesn't make sense to be as this isn't like Discworld or anything wher eyou can just do that).

So many books I need to order. How do the books compare to the show? Is it word-for-word or what?

1 minute ago, MDK said:

So many books I need to order. How do the books compare to the show? Is it word-for-word or what?

The show takes a few liberties (certain tertiary characters have minor aspects changed), but is quite faithful. There is one major character from season 1 that actually isn't in the story until book 2. To me, the dialogue from the show seems pretty spot on. There's plenty of belter patois in the books, particularly the later ones.

1 minute ago, DFF said:

The show takes a few liberties (certain tertiary characters have minor aspects changed), but is quite faithful. There is one major character from season 1 that actually isn't in the story until book 2. To me, the dialogue from the show seems pretty spot on. There's plenty of belter patois in the books, particularly the later ones.

To be honest I really want to read more of the Belta Creole. I love the way they speak in the show. It cracks me up. 

1 minute ago, MDK said:

To be honest I really want to read more of the Belta Creole. I love the way they speak in the show. It cracks me up. 

Pretty sure every book has it. It's just more prevalent later on because of the situations the main characters are in.

I love the guest stars that pop up on Elementary. Mark Boone! Meat Loaf! John Doman (Rawls from The Wire)! All in one episode!

• Like 2

Going back to the discussion about The Expanse, I can't think of any book series adapted into a tv show that stayed true to the books. The one series I can think of that went off the rails immediately was True Blood. According to Heidi (She read the books; I've only seen the show), the first episode is the only one accurate to the books. In fact, a major character who survived the entire show was killed off in the first or second book, another character that died on the show didn't die in the books, and the author actually revealed who Sookie ended up with instead of leaving it a mystery like the show did. 

True Blood... man, that show went downhill. Worst final season I've ever sat through (I know Dexter, rightfully, gets a load of crap thrown at it too, but that was something else).

As for The Expanse, I think they've done well to keep things pretty close to the books.