General Television Thread

Hellfire

I didn't watch Dexter, so I can't comment on that, but I agree with you about True Blood's final season being bad. I'd say the final season of Roseanne was the worst I've sat through, not True Blood's. I regard Roseanne's finale as the worst ever, though from what I've read St. Elsewhere's is worse. (I know how Dexter ended, and am glad I didn't watch the show. Ugh.)

Roseanne's ending is that the entire last season was fictional. Dan died from a heart attack he had in the previous season's finale (ended on a cliffhanger with him being put in an ambulance after his daughter's wedding.), and the entire season was actually writing that Roseanne did in a basement office he built for her several seasons earlier as a way to cope with his death. St. Elsewhere\s ending was that the whole frickin' series was the imagination of a mentally handicapped kid, and the hospital was in a snow globe his father (the head doctor, but actually a janitor) gave him. What really stinks is, Roseanne did that cliffhanger ending for the next to last season because John Goodman was considering leaving the show, but changed his mind. A comedy series shouldn't end with a tragedy.

The only other show's finale I was less than thrilled with was Star Trek Voyager. Because 1. Future Janeway = Borg's worst nightmare (that should be Picard!) and is the deus ex machina that gets the ship back early. 2. Her changing the timeline pretty much negates everything previous in the episode! and 3. We didn't get to see the crew members reuniting with their families or anything majorly important from them finally returning home.

Most of the episode was showing the future of the Voyager crew after they returned to Earth, but Future Janeway intervening and helping the ship return earlier would have changed their futures, making everything shown moot.

(Sisko becoming Bajoran Jesus was the only thing I didn't like about DS9's finale.)

23 hours ago, DFF said:

True Blood... man, that show went downhill. Worst final season I've ever sat through (I know Dexter, rightfully, gets a load of crap thrown at it too, but that was something else).

As for The Expanse, I think they've done well to keep things pretty close to the books.

As much as TB got to the point where I was glad they were ending it, I still miss the show and its characters. :(

Spoiler

Let's flip this and talk abot best show endings. My personal favourite is  Blake's 7 :D

Best show ending? Newhart, hands down. Sure, its another "the whole show was a dream" ending, but it was a dream by the main character from his classic series The Bob Newhart Show, and the way it was pulled off was beyond brilliant. It was a jaw drop then fist pump moment when it happened.

Holy shit, Samurai Jack.

Spoiler

Jack kills one person and turns into a stone cold killer. I'm hoping that the last 3 Daughters of Aku aren't dead, because the one - the one Jack killed last, which was a pretty laugh out loud moment - seemed like she would be interesting. 

But that was pretty great. "Die, you, you samurai scum! Die!" and then Jack just casually unwraps her chain from his arm and drops her off the side of the fallen tree.

• Like 1

I would totally watch the current season of Samurai Jack if there weren't like 5 seasons beforehand for me to get through first.

On a totally unrelated note, season 2 of The Last Kingdom seems to be even better than season 1 right now. It's so on form. 

I'm into the second episode of Snatch and I'm not sure about it. The guys that are supposed to be proper geezers and all that but they just seem like a bunch of Charlies. They are all pretty boys.

1 hour ago, MDK said:

I'm into the second episode of Snatch and I'm not sure about it. The guys that are supposed to be proper geezers and all that but they just seem like a bunch of Charlies. They are all pretty boys.

No idea why they made a series of the film. The film was pretty great, and anything leaning on that name wont live up to it at all. And this sounds like a half arsed attempt at best, too.

Just now, Jasonmufc said:

No idea why they made a series of the film. The film was pretty great, and anything leaning on that name wont live up to it at all. And this sounds like a half arsed attempt at best, too.

Lock, Stock was made into a TV show and I guess they wanted to follow suit. 

9 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Anyone else watch the season premiere of Line of Duty which aired on Sunday I think? Really enjoyed the last season and this new story is just as gripping already. 

I watched the first two series on Netflix, am awaiting the third. I really enjoyed those seasons - does the third hold up?

17 hours ago, Benji said:

I swear Tatyana Ali has not aged a day in 20+ years.

Janet Hubert-Whitten meanwhile looks like a totally different person. :shifty:

• Like 1