General Television Thread

Hellfire

BoJack Horseman Season 3 done, can't wait for next season. 

Woooow, hopefully next season we learn that that Horse that was calling for BoJack is his daughter, more Mr. Peanutbutter as Gouverneur, Diane writing about him for that blog because he did something stupid and we learn more about Todd.

I just can't believe how greatly depressing but awesome this show is. One of the best Netflix Original shows out there and soo underwatched. 

• Like 1

Workaholics series finale was a pretty fitting send-off. I haven't been thrilled by this season - a bunch of middling-to-okay episodes, way too much shock and gross-out humor imo - but it was a fitting capper to the series. Craig Kilborn and Jason Mantzoukas showing up was pretty great. Tony Revolori too! 

So apparently the Guy Ritchie classic Snatch was turned into a TV Show for Crackle, the on-demand streaming service from Sony Picutres. And Rupert Grint is co-starring in it. I had no idea this is happening.

Edited by Hellraiser

On 14/03/2017 at 20:15, LarsLars said:

How do you guys decide what serie to watch? There is so much cool old and new shit out there!

I generally wait for 3-4 episodes to be released and watch them back to back, if I don't enjoy them then I cut them from my watchlist.

My main issue at the moment is the amount of older shows/seasons of ongoing shows that I need to watch before carrying on with the new episodes, keeping track of where I was upto in series was an issue for me but since I started using trakt.tv it has become easier.

2 hours ago, Colly said:

I saw the trailer, cast looks fantastic. How the ruddy hell do I watch it though?

http://www.crackle.com/snatch

It's not even a "crime of the week" show anymore, the last two episodes have changed that completely and it's looking like season 2 will continue that arc.

Edited by tristy

47 minutes ago, tristy said:

If you guys aren't watching Lethal Weapon - you suck.

Loved the entire series, gonna have to rewatch the movies before season 2 as it's been a long time since I watched them.

Does anyone here recommend Taken, I've heard contrasting views on the series.

On 3/15/2017 at 04:15, LarsLars said:

How do you guys decide what serie to watch? There is so much cool old and new shit out there!

If something grabs your attention, just try it out. I would never have tried out the Goldbergs, which is one of my all-time favorite shows right now, if I didn't see Jeff Garlin listed on the cast, and being a huge fan of it, started watching and it's the best one so far.

I'll also admit that the EWB Best TV of the year list that GoGo does is a ton of help. I would never have tried out Parks and Rec, Community or the first season of Modern Family if I didn't decide to try like the top of ten shows we ranked in like 2009 / 2010, for instance.

And there's also the part where most cable shows are on fire right now, especially FX and HBO. Most of them are amazingly good, and are filled with big Hollywood stars that someone like you would recognize as well.

On another topic, THE LAST KINGDOM IS BACK! God I've missed this show. Can't wait to watch it after work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deathlok190 said:

Loved the entire series, gonna have to rewatch the movies before season 2 as it's been a long time since I watched them.

Does anyone here recommend Taken, I've heard contrasting views on the series.

Spoiler

Don't waste your time. It's nothing like the movie. In this version of the story Mills is a former green beret who wants to avenge the death of his sister who was killed bz the cartel as revenge for a raid Mills was involved in and in which he killed someone close to the cartel boss. At least that is what he tries and fails to do in the pilot. He is captured by the cartel and just as he is about to be killed he is saved by some super secret special intelligence team that was using Mills to get close to the cartel boss who is captured alive. They offer him a place on the team. He accepts. And from here on out the show becomes a procedural about the team doing an secrert operation each episode. It's the complete opposite to what the movie was about. The actor who plays Mills has absolutely nothing on Neeson and it was a mistake of making Mills so young in this adaptation. There is also none of the fast paced over the top action which made the movie so much fun to watch. Really, apart from the character names and the name of the show and the plot of the pilot it has nothing in common with the movies. What's even the point to make a TV show based of the Taken movie if you are not even going to try to capture the essence of the movie? 

On a similar note: Is the TV adaptation of Training Day any good?

1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

Don't waste your time. It's nothing like the movie. In this version of the story Mills is a former green beret who wants to avenge the death of his sister who was killed bz the cartel as revenge for a raid Mills was involved in and in which he killed someone close to the cartel boss. At least that is what he tries and fails to do in the pilot. He is captured by the cartel and just as he is about to be killed he is saved by some super secret special intelligence team that was using Mills to get close to the cartel boss who is captured alive. They offer him a place on the team. He accepts. And from here on out the show becomes a procedural about the team doing an secrert operation each episode. It's the complete opposite to what the movie was about. The actor who plays Mills has absolutely nothing on Neeson and it was a mistake of making Mills so young in this adaptation. There is also none of the fast paced over the top action which made the movie so much fun to watch. Really, apart from the character names and the name of the show and the plot of the pilot it has nothing in common with the movies. What's even the point to make a TV show based of the Taken movie if you are not even going to try to capture the essence of the movie? 

On a similar note: Is the TV adaptation of Training Day any good?

I personally have enjoyed Training Day, it is set years after the movie with none of the original characters involved. It has interesting side stories set against a series arcing story, the focus is primarily on the 'trainee' and his fathers partner who is the 'mentor' finding out what his father hid before his death, while also developing the right mindset to work in the Special Investigation Section. Overall the casting feels good and the chemistry has definately built between the characters over the episodes I have seen.

The only problem will be if they don't finish the main story enough in season 1 that Paxton's character is no longer needed to continue with further seasons, especially since the producers and showrunners have made clear they will not recast the role.

17 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

So apparently the Guy Ritchie classic Snatch was turned into a TV Show for Crackle, the on-demand streaming service from Sony Picutres. And Rupert Grint is co-starring in it. I had no idea this is happening.

I'm not sold on this at all. Everyone looks like they are in a boy band.

Holy shit, Samurai Jack. Season 5, Episode 2:

Spoiler

So Jack has an episode-long battle with the assassins in service to Aku, and believing that they're just robots like everything else Aku sends after him, at episode's end he slices the neck of one assassin, only to reveal that she's.. a human. The consequences of this are going to be great, because it's apparently the first time Jack's killed a human before. That ending, though, with Jack staggering out of the temple and falling into the water, blood running everywhere, with her dagger in his side..

Also, the opening with Aku (putting his fire-eyebrows on, stretching, yelling at supplicants for "getting yourself all over the floor!" was pretty great. 

Loved the homage to Ecstasy of Gold/Sergio Leone in the throne room fight. So good.

Oh, and Jack's inner monologue has him wanting to kill himself to escape from the torment of living in the future and wandering the world aimlessly. 

It's only two episodes in, but this season of Jack has already packed a serious punch.  It feels like they had this planned for a long, long time and finally got the greenlight for it.

Not to mention the animation has stepped up its game, which was already stunning at times.  There are moments where you could pause the show and have a masterpiece staring back at you.

7 hours ago, thatshortguy said:

It's only two episodes in, but this season of Jack has already packed a serious punch.  It feels like they had this planned for a long, long time and finally got the greenlight for it.

Not to mention the animation has stepped up its game, which was already stunning at times.  There are moments where you could pause the show and have a masterpiece staring back at you.

I like that it's still relatively minimal too. IIRC, Tartakovsky had a pretty tight budget the original go-around, and that's why the animation looked the way it did. But yeah, stuff like that final shot or the beetle scurrying across a leaf looks great.

• Like 1