General Television Thread

Hellfire

2 hours ago, rktaker said:

i really need a trash show to watch haven't really had one since falling skies and tyrant ended. blood drive on syfy might be that show for me also might watch billions over the summer

The Last Ship and/or From Dusk till Dawn: the series, might be good bets for you to watch. Both enjoyable but really pulpy in their own ways.

I've really loved Tony Atamanuik's Trump impression since the first time I heard it a year ago. First episode of The President Show was a solid vehicle for it.

• Like 2

I don't know if I like Brockmire but I keep watching it. I love Hank Azaria, I like Amanda Peet. Tyler Jackson Williams is really fun in it. A few baseball writers are gonna be in Episode 7 (mostly want to see Jonah Keri). I don't know, Azaria's character is occasionally endearing, but his announcer voice seems so put on. 

Two episodes into the new season of Silicon Valley and...

Piper Chat is dead. That was fast! I wonder if they are all gonna hop on over to the 'new' internet hting now.

Although: Skyrim cheat codes? Come on.

Dear White People is excellent. I really enjoyed the movie when I saw it, but the series does a better job of developing the characters. Helps that there's a lot more time to tell a story. Would highly recommend it.

I won't leave any detailed thoughts but Chapter II and V are the standouts for me so far.

15 hours ago, Ruki said:

Two episodes into the new season of Silicon Valley and...

Reveal hidden contents

Now, Carl, you said the new sign-in page made you nervous..

• Like 1

Sad that the current season of Line of Duty ended, but fucking hell, it's gripping television. Honestly so good. Like, I love police/crime dramas in general, but this is possibly the best of the best (not just because it has Brummies in it).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

The end of Silicon Valley S4E2 absolutely destroyed me.

Whole episode was good.

Gonna have to download that end track. I think starting this season (guessing w/ that one) a lot of hip hop artists are writing and performing songs specifically for the show. There was that DJ Shadow/Nas track, then this one by Pregnant Boy (..) that was released on Mass Appeal's YouTube page like 3 days before the episode aired.

EDIT: Also, while I'm here, Veep was good too. I love the pairing of Matt Walsh and Tony Hale. Also I kind of felt bad for Jonah. That's one of the things I love so much about Veep - Jonah is such an intensely shitty character, but like, sometimes you can't help but feel bad for him. And then he has this touching moment with Richard and of course it's ruined, but you're still kinda like "awww, Jonah and Richard :wub:"

8 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Sad that the current season of Line of Duty ended, but fucking hell, it's gripping television. Honestly so good. Like, I love police/crime dramas in general, but this is possibly the best of the best (not just because it has Brummies in it).

Can't agree with this enough, phenomenal television. Gutted they're taking a year off.

Anyone else here watched The Young Pope? I just finished it and thought it was really great. It takes a little while to get going, and to get to grips with how outrageous it can be, but the last few episodes were electric. Sorrentino seems to thrive on visual and thematic excess, of which the show is overloaded; it's dense, gorgeous and has Jude Law really buying into a style of acting that is melodramatic and absorbing. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Anyone else here watched The Young Pope? I just finished it and thought it was really great. It takes a little while to get going, and to get to grips with how outrageous it can be, but the last few episodes were electric. Sorrentino seems to thrive on visual and thematic excess, of which the show is overloaded; it's dense, gorgeous and has Jude Law really buying into a style of acting that is melodramatic and absorbing. 

Any rumors of a second season? 

And anyone seen the first episode of American Gods?

I liked it! It's interesting enough so far, and stays as true as I think it possibly can be to the book while still adding its own stuff. The Bilquis scene was done amazingly well!

Ian McShane looks like he's having a blast, and this could be my favorite role from him yet.

Yeah first episode of American Gods was everything I wanted it to be. There's some dialogue straight from the text and the cinematography is gorgeous. Every shot looked amazing in episode one and I am probably gonna watch it again before next week. 

Add me to the list of people that enjoyed American Gods. I've never read the book so I'm not super familiar with it but the pilot was definitely interesting. Ian McShane is definitely a highlight but I thought the rest of the cast did a good job too. I will say that the poor quality of special effects was a little off-putting at first but that's mostly on me and my expectations with the "Starz's own Game of Thrones!" buzz flying around the internet, while forgetting that the show is still on Starz.

Edited by livid