General Television Thread

Hellfire

I think the people saying the show isn't adequately depicting suicide and depression are perhaps overlooking that those are very subjective issues. What makes people happy or sad is personal and while I certainly felt that, yes, what the characters were going through wasn't worthy of such intense depression (at least until the final two eps), I can also understand that I'm not in the mind of the people suffering and cannot tell them "no, don't be sad, this is dumb". I have qualms with this show but I really don't think the criticisms about its depiction of depression are warranted.

3 hours ago, Broken Cloudy said:

That's my biggest issue as well. I've heard a lot of criticism from survivors and people who have struggled with mental illness that it doesn't treat it the way it should be and that it falls into that "love will cure you!" trope. It's on my list, but I may never really get around to watching it.

Eurgh. Thanks for the warning. Firmly on the avoid list now.

1 hour ago, Broken Cloudy said:

I need this so bad.

Really dug the Homeland finale:

Spoiler

Quinn getting killed off pretty much had to happen with where they'd gotten to with his character, but dammit it still had the feels!

I also really liked what they did with the ending of the show. A (presumably) democratic president getting super paranoid about the intelligence agency and having them all arrested, then surrounding herself with only a few advisors and leaving the country on the brink of a civil uprising? Yep, that's me in for the next season!

• Like 1

Uproxx chatted with Mike Judge about changes coming to Silicon Valley this season.

With the end of the third season finale bringing its characters full-circle, Judge said that this new play “will be what they’re working on for as long as the show is on. So we made it something kinda big.”

In the trailers and previews Richard talks about creating a "new internet", so I wonder if that's what this new big thing they're going to be working on is.

On 4/16/2017 at 08:47, Broken Cloudy said:

Samurai Jack episode 5

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 6:

Spoiler

So yeah, definitely feels like that the horseman was supposed to be a manifestation of Jack's guilt, of his perceived failures. 

Holy shit, Ashi's black suit wasn't a body suit or anything at all.. it was just ash. Because as a child their "mother" pushed them into hot coals to become "more like Aku", shrouded in darkness.

New look Ashi is great though. :wub:

And Scaramouche!

And now Jack's ready to find his sword!

Bummer that there's only 2 more episodes left.

On 4/20/2017 at 03:06, DFF said:

Really dug the Homeland finale:

Hide contents

Quinn getting killed off pretty much had to happen with where they'd gotten to with his character, but dammit it still had the feels!

I also really liked what they did with the ending of the show. A (presumably) democratic president getting super paranoid about the intelligence agency and having them all arrested, then surrounding herself with only a few advisors and leaving the country on the brink of a civil uprising? Yep, that's me in for the next season!

I binged the entire season last weekend, and it was really good. Best season of the show that I can remember in quite a long time. Like you, I loved the ending and it left me wanting more immediately. That's all I ask for in a season finale, really.

I'm thinking about starting a rewatch of Twin Peaks tonight or next weekend, to get ready for the return in a few weeks.

Do we have a Leftovers thread? Because that episode last week was fuckin' crazy and I really wish this was a Netflix show so I could just binge watch all of it at once. Fuck.

Edited by tristy

Silicon Valley: of course Russ Hanneman blares Papa Roach's "Last Resort" from his flashy sports car.

EDIT: Also, I had no idea that apparently the Nas/DJ Shadow track at the end was made just for the show.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Broken Cloudy said:

Silicon Valley: of course Russ Hanneman blares Papa Roach's "Last Resort" from his flashy sports car.

EDIT: Also, I had no idea that apparently the Nas/DJ Shadow track at the end was made just for the show.

Russ Hanneman for President! :wub:

Also, Timothy Simon did an interview with the AVClub about Veep, Donald Trump's success, and failing upwards.

I called a bunch of Congress people—some staffers, and congressmen and congresswomen—just to kind of talk with them about what it’s like to be a freshman in Congress over the summer. I’ve always sort of viewed Jonah as more of a Ted Cruz kind of guy. Sort of universally despised, but falls ass backwards into this weird influence simply out of his own idiocy. One of the jokes that I heard on one of those calls was about Ted Cruz and I think it applies to Jonah. Which is, he’s so unpopular that if you shot Ted Cruz on the Senate floor you wouldn’t be able to find a witness, which I thought was a perfect encapsulation of Jonah.