UFC News and Discussion Thread

Yeah he was already training for that fight, and besides, he almost always gets tired due to his reckless style out there.

Also, on the Phan/Garcia fight I don't get why this is getting "worst robbery ever" from people. It certainly was not the worst judging ever. I believe that goes to Hamill/Bisping where Hamill shouldv'e won. I had Phan winning, but I saw rounds 1 and 3 to be close enough that they could've gone either way, third round for sure could've gone either way. The only solid round for either guy was round 2 for Phan. But like Hamill, he won't be hurt from this loss on his record and probably got much more over from it anyways, so in a sense it helped him.

What fight were you watching?

Phan outstruck him in R1, schooled him in R2 and out punched him on the counter in R3. Garcia threw a lot but hardly anything hit. By the logic of that fight, all you have to do to win a fight in windmill for 15 minutes with no regard to actually landing any shots.

Look at the Compustrike stats. Phan should have won that 30-27 straight across the board, you could make more argument for a 30-26 Phan than a 29-28 Phan. Either way, there is no way Garcia even came close to winning that fight.

Compustrike Stats

Go back and watch the fight again. I watched it again after I heard people complain about the scoring of it, and still stand by what I said. It's not the biggest robbery ever. I still think Phan should've won the fight overall, though. So if you can, go back and watch it again, it wasn't this huge robbery people are making it out to be.

And also I listened to Meltzer's recap of it, and I think he has a great mind for judging, and he said the third round was very close, first round was sort of close but still thought pretty solidly for Nam Phan and round 2 was without question for Phan. So he also agrees that round 3 was a close round (and he gave Garcia that round so he had it 29-28) and also agrees that it wasn't this huge robbery either.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I had 29-27 Phan, but I had no idea what the final result would be - rounds 1 or 3 going to Garcia really wasn't THAT horrible, even if I'd have given Phan round 3, and I figured I was a little too liberal going 10-8 in round two. Bad decision, but not the worst ever.

You're telling me it's not Stefan Struve that's selling this PPV for you?

Also, it's one more drawing fight than UFC 119 had. :shifty:

EDIT: According to Jeff Marek's twitter, UFC 131 will be held at the Rogers Centre on April 30th

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Beatnik would know the exact figures, but the Rogers Centre seats something like 51,000 for baseball, I imagine MMA would get a ton more seats on the floor similar to WWE, so close to 65,000?

Considering the current record is something like 23,000, yeah, it's the biggest :P

Yeah, I read the piece on MMA Junkie, says the Rogers Centre holds 69.000.

But Dana's also said that he doesn't wanna sell that many tickets 'cause he loves UFC's "intimate environment".

Odds are he'll sell enough to beat the record, and leave plenty of space to beat the record every time they come to TO.