UFC News and Discussion Thread

Dana White says that Brock Lesnar "probably" won't ever return to the UFC "but he's a freak of nature, so who knows". 

And on CM Punk:

“He and I have not figured that out yet, but we will. I don’t know. I’ve got to talk to him and see how this thing works out for him. UFC’s a dangerous place. It really is. It’s a tough place to come in for your first couple of fights. I give him all the credit [and] respect in the world for coming in and giving it a shot. It’s a tough place to do it, though. So we’ll see what happens. I love the guy.”

Josh Barnett is the latest fighter to be flagged by USADA for a potential drug test violation. If confirmed, this will be his fourth known positive test for a banned substance, having previously tested positive in 2001, 2002 and 2009.

As for CM Punk, his debut drew money, so given the mindset of the new owners, it would be a surprise if he didn't fight again in the UFC, although this time against a more carefully selected opponent.

3 hours ago, Gazz said:

IT IS AHHHHHHLLLLL OVVVVVAAAA~!

'It' being Mike Goldberg's UFC career after 207 apparently.

Why do I get the feeling that they're going to bring in some "big name" in sports commentary who has no knowledge of UFC history and likely no interest in MMA either?

3 hours ago, Srar Humbug said:

So Ronda fight...worth ordering?

Win or lose it's probably going to be her last fight if that adds any sway to your decision.

It's funny you say that, @Chris2K, one of the rumors going around is that they're looking to get Jim Rome for Goldberg's position.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Srar Humbug said:

So Ronda fight...worth ordering?

As Chris2K said, it's probably her last fight either way, so there is that, but if you're a really big Ronda fan, you may not want to order it because the odds are good that Ronda is getting merked in the first or second round. There has been almost nothing about Ronda’s approach to this fight that gives you confidence in her chances to win. She’s still hitching her horse to Edmund as her trainer despite the fact that he was terrible in the Holly Holm fight and was either completely delusional or just afraid to tell the truth to Ronda about how she was doing between rounds, neither trait being something you want in a cornerman, and he’s not thought of highly as a trainer to begin with it. There has also been nothing to suggest that Ronda has done anything to fix the holes in her game that Holm exposed. She doesn’t seem to have brought in any world class kickboxers or strikers to work on her strike defence or overall striking game, which is still pretty rudimentary, and with Amanda Nunes being a harder puncher than Holm and more technical than Ronda, you’d think that would be considered a necessity. Ronda has also dropped weight and she’ll apparently go into the cage about 10lbs lighter, and while that will probably help with stamina, it also means she won’t have the muscle, literally and figuratively, that she did before, which will affect her clinch work because she won’t have the power to take Nunes down in the manner she did to previous opponents.

Holm showed us the strategy on how to beat Rousey and nothing from Rousey’s training for this fight has done anything to suggest that the same strategy won’t work again if Nunes follows it.  The only thing in Ronda’s favour is that she is so incredibly driven to win this fight, that even with the errors in her game that will likely lead to her taking a beating, she will simply refuse to die and Nunes, who does get tired if the fight goes long, will gas out and Rousey will then be able to take her down and get the armbar.

Unless Nunes pulls a Zingano, I expect Ronda to take a beating in this fight and that this fight will come down to whether Ronda can take that beating and keep going. If she can’t, obviously she’s toast. But if she can and the fight goes into third round, I like her chances.

Yeah, I think you'll likely be wrong on both parts. The only way I see this being her last fight is if she get's dismantled and loses, which I'm confident she doesn't. I'd expect her to have at least one more fight after this (again, all based on her winning this fight of course). I think it's going to be absolutely hilarious if Ronda goes in there and armbars/finishes Nunes inside the first round. I imagine we'll then go back to the excuse of how the division is poor and Nunes will go from being a legit fighter to a 'can'.

This is the same Nunes that was manhandled by Cat Zingano and tossed all over the octagon. If Ronda get's a hold of her it'll be a quick night.

Edited by Asuka's Gonna Kill You
  • Like 1

He should either go up in weight or he needs to just walk away. I get that cutting weight is a hell of a thing to go through but if he wants to fight at that weight then he needs to have more willpower when he's out of fighting. 

As for Rousey, she's in crazy shape for this fight. I don't think she's going to get flattened like most people seem to think she is. Whether or not her heart is in fighting anymore, I definitely believe that she's all about making a statement in this fight.

With Hendricks', I'm more suspicious that he used to not have a problem making 170, then USADA came in and suddenly he's not even close.

14 minutes ago, Gazz said:

With Hendricks', I'm more suspicious that he used to not have a problem making 170, then USADA came in and suddenly he's not even close.

IV ban must be a factor though right?

EDIT- Actually does that have anything to do with the cut? Or just the post cut rehydration?