UFC News and Discussion Thread

I find this one a bit silly, because there's really nothing to gain from it. GSP's return is big, but no way is it big enough to go and disturb an entire different division. He's not Connor, he won't get a million PPV buys. His return will do well, but might as well have set up a big fight for his return, then if he wins monopolize that into a bigger title fight. If not, you just get GSP losing without him disrupting the Middleweight division. 

I just find the whole idea of GSP versus Yoel Romero to be hilarious, actually. I hope that's what they're forced to go with :P 

But oh boy, I am so damn hyped for Khabib versus Ferguson. That fight is bonkers awesome.

GSP vs Bisping will do a million PPV buys, guaranteed. Dude pulled 800k out of Jake Shields and 700k out of Dan Hardy and UFC is a bigger entity now.

• Like 1

Yeah, and he'll do around that number for this Bisping fight as well. Even his uber anticipated fight with Diaz didn't hit the milllion PPV mark (granted, it just shaved underneath). UFC is a bigger entity now, but it's still, if not more star driven than ever. GSP wanted this fight and he got it because the UFC is desperate for stars with McGregor, Rousey and Lesnar taking lengthy breaks (Lesnar's being permanent, maybe even Rousey's), and so they had to bend and stall another division for sometime in the second half of 2017, which could be something like November'17 for all we know.

I'm not saying that 700-800K PPV buys are not good numbers for the UFC, in fact by all reports they're amazingly successful ones. But the UFC didn't make this fight to hit that even bigger number mark, they made this fight because it's probably the only one GSP wanted coming back, but putting him against Michael Bisping or Robbie Lawler wouldn't have made a difference in that number, so I still don't get why they made this fight. 

Michael Johnson offered to step in against Ferguson. Ferguson was open to it and then the UFC said that since it wasn't for a title, they'd be paying him less, so Ferguson walked away. 

Clowns. 

I think Ariel Helwani even said that Eddie Alvarez was reaching out. UFC really is acting like a goddamn mom and pop store. I know this is pretty bad to wish on the other fighters, but I hope this show does Mighty Mouse level figures.

Speaking of Mighty Mouse, he wants to fight next month in Kansas City at the next FOX show to tie Anderson's record. I'm guessing they're going to try and put him up against Wilson Reis next, but I'm not sure if that's a fight FOX wants since Reis can't speak English, so he might not get his wish. Sergio Pettis would be a fun fight, but I really don't think it's his time yet to do that.

4 hours ago, Benkid Cratchit said:

UFC really is acting like a goddamn mom and pop store. 

Not at all, the promotion will not be making any additional money keeping Tony on the card vs a last minute Johnson or Alvarez, in fact there is less hype around those fights as the promoting has been behind Khabib vs Ferguson, so why would the UFC pay out the same, or even more money in "hazard" pay to fighters when they will make less money?  The UFC are there to promote matches and make money, they are not there just to put two guys together on a whim and throw money at them.

I wouldn't have even bothered trying to make a new fight for Ferguson. I would have just removed him from the card and simply rebooked the fight with Khabib for another time. Yes, you could give Ferguson a replacement fight, but if he loses, it would take a little something off of Khabib getting the Conor fight as he'd be getting it because Ferguson lost to someone else and not because Khabib beat Ferguson. And if Ferguson wins, you're still left with figuring out which one of them gets the Conor fight, and one deserving challenger would not only lose out on a title fight but would likely have to risk his title shot whilst the other guy faces Conor, so he'd be doubly unhappy. By rebooking the fight for a later date, you are not only ensuring that the next challenger for Conor is undoubtedly the most deserving, but from the UFC's perspective, you're also guaranteeing you have a PPV main event in hand, and we've seen lately how the UFC feel about having title fights in the main event.

UFC 209 was pretty good until Woodley and Thompson stunk the place out. We'd have great excitement up and down the card, with all sorts of crazy action, and then Woodley and Thompson fought like two guys who simply didn't want to do anything that would give the other guy an opening. As understandable as that strategy may be, it was torture to watch and put a damper on what had been an otherwise top night of action.

Sanders losing might have been my favorite moment of the whole event. Dude's a huge dick and the way he acted as if he threw that knee by accident and shouldn't have gotten punished by it, I'm glad irony found him when he submitted to a kneebar.

UFC 211 on May 13th has gained two fights and lost one. We've now got Eddie Alvarez/Dustin Poirier and Henry Cejudo/Sergio Pettis added to the card. Fabricio Werdum/Ben Rothwell has been scrapped due to Rothwell being flagged for potential USADA anti doping violation.

I like the two new fights a lot and it really gives 211 a stacked card. It sucks to lose Werdum and Rothwell, and not just because it's a fight I wanted to see. If either Miocic or Dos Santos fall foul of injury or USADA, Werdum could have been slotted into place to take their spot, presuming all parties agreed to it.

That was gut wrenching to see happen, especially because Pickett was only 75 seconds away from what would surely have been a unanimous decision victory. On a brighter note, Marc Diakiese broke out of the pack with his spectacular finish and post fight interview. And Jimi Manuwa ended the night on a real high note as well, so things weren't all that bad. But it still sucked to see Pickett go out the way he did.

• 3 weeks later...

Rumble didn't want none of what DC was handing out.

Rumble's an interesting one, an absolute killer but when he finds himself in a disadvantageous position, he just mentally crumbles, rolls over and leaves himself wide open for the choke. Six career losses, one injury TKO and five rear naked chokes after being ground and pounded from the top.

Have to wonder how much he wanted it, seeing how he already had his exit mapped out. 

Chris Weidman made me laugh. He sold that knee like he got shot in the head until he found out it was a legal strike, and at that point he wasn't hurt and wanted to carry on. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Have to wonder how much he wanted it, seeing how he already had his exit mapped out. 

Chris Weidman made me laugh. He sold that knee like he got shot in the head until he found out it was a legal strike, and at that point he wasn't hurt and wanted to carry on. 

I take it back actually. Weidman thought it was February and didn't know what day it was when the doctor asked. 

Demetrious Johnson won again last night, I'm guessing you didn't see it because the show had the lowest viewing figures in the history of the UFC on FOX shows. He beat Wilson Reis because I guess Reis won a raffle or something.

He then proclaimed himself the greatest champion in UFC history, which was a nice thing to say because everyone enjoys a laugh.

Whilst I mock the whole thing I do concede Johnson is a very good fighter, but the UFC Flyweight division is the Scottish Premier League of MMA and he is Celtic.