UFC News and Discussion Thread

That main event, oh my fucking god ???

Gaethje fights so stupid but holy shit it makes for a fucking good fight. The rest of the card could have been atrocious and that would have made it all okay.

Diakese losing as well, perfect! 

Tavares vs Theodorou was great but absolutely blown out of the water.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EddieG said:

Lima.. not Peña

Yeah.. I thought I fucked that one up.. Women's MMA doesn't pique my interest tbh. Other than JJ, she's a fuckin animal

Edited by The Big Bratwurst

Ariel Helwani is banned from covering McGregor/Mayweather, specifically because Dana White requested it from Showtime. Dana really needs to get his head out of his fucking ass man. Helwani is the best MMA reporter out there and due to a personal issue with Helwani, Dana's literally trying to ruin the mans career. I like Dana and all, but he can go fuck himself on this one.

5 hours ago, The Big Bratwurst said:

Ariel Helwani is banned from covering McGregor/Mayweather, specifically because Dana White requested it from Showtime. Dana really needs to get his head out of his fucking ass man. Helwani is the best MMA reporter out there and due to a personal issue with Helwani, Dana's literally trying to ruin the mans career. I like Dana and all, but he can go fuck himself on this one.

Do you honestly think Dana is the only promoter that has banned a journalist from promotional events? Or that this is the first time he's not been a fan of a reporter? Do you know how many boxing and combat sports journalists Mayweather has on his blacklist? 

Also, if anything, Dana's beef with Ariel just raises his stock as a journalist even more, and gets him even more of a following and even more of a persona as the "real" MMA journalist, so he's definitely helping more than hindering his career.

EDIT: Eh, I just woke, thought he had his press credentials revoked, but he only was taken off the Showtime Sports broadcasting team. Not an actual big deal, then, every sports league has people they don't want covering their official broadcasting.

Wales go 2-0!

Rough night for Scotland though. Glad Paul Craig got battered though. 

Also glad that Charlie Ward got beat, quite simply doesn't belong in there. Genuinely only in the UFC because he's friends with Conor McGregor. Looked like he was concussed before the fight even started, and got twatted by a throw. Bizarre. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm super excited for tonight and can't stop thinking about the card so here's some thoughts:

Fight Pass Prelims:

Dober def. Burkman by UD. Wouldn't be surprised if it were a TKO either, it's Burkman's time to hang up the gloves. 

Jared Brooks def. Eric Shelton by UD. Both guys go for the finish, but it's hard to finish guys at 125.

Alexandra Albu def. Kailin Curran by UD, I couldn't care less though.

FXX Prelims:

Andre Fili def. Calvin Kattar by TKO. I think it's Fili's time to push into that upper tier of featherweights, and this fight will start that push.

Brian "T-City" Ortega over Renato Moicano by Submission. I love T-City, he's one of my favorite guys on the roster, and it doesn't hurt that I've trained with him before. I think he has the potential to be a top five guy in time, and I think he'll outclass Moicano in this one. Either way, this is a fun fight.

Aljamain Sterling over Renan Barao by UD. Sterling is the future of the bantamweight division. The guy is incredibly talented and I think Barao is a little over the hill. I don't think he'll be able to hang with Sterling, but I also don't think he'll be finished. I think Sterling gets the UD while coming close to getting a sub on multiple occasions.

Jason Knight over Ricardo Lamas by Submission. Sound the upset alarms, I think Jason Knight is going to bring a bit of new blood to featherweight and upset Lamas. It took me a long time to think of who I have in this one, but I thought it was time to pick an upset. Obviously wouldn't be surprised if Lamas wins, but I think Knight will pull this one out and give the UFC another intriguing featherweight to add to the bunch.

Main Card:

Jimi Manuwa def. Volkan Oezdemir by KO. Someone's getting knocked out in this one, and I haven't seen enough from Oezdemir to think he'll pull it out. He was impressive against Misha Cirkunov, but I think Jimi Manuwa might be the best striker at Light Heavyweight since Rumble's retirement. I think Manuwa adds another highlight reel knockout to his record, and then he's in line to face the winner of DC/Jones (I only see this happening if DC wins, I'll explain later in the post) or to fight boxer David Haye. I'm game for either one.

Donald Cerrone def. Robbie Lawler by TKO. Cowboy is my favorite fighter and god dammit, I'm picking him. Cowboy TKO'd Matt Brown not long ago, and only one other person has done that. I think the wars Lawler has been in might have caught up to him, and over a year long layoff is sure to show some ring rust. I think Cerrone hands Lawler his second straight loss via TKO/KO. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes the other way, but I'm pulling for my favorite fighter and that's my pick.

Cris Cyborg def. Tonya Evinger by Murder. Cyborg's gonna come in. Cyborg's gonna take her head off. Cyborg's gonna go home. That's all.

Demian Maia def. Tyron Woodley by Submission to become the NEW Welterweight Champion. I think Maia's time is now. He's been overlooked for so long, and I think he's ready to show the world that he is the best of the best and just because he doesn't strike doesn't mean he can't be champion. I think Maia uses his amazing Jiu Jitsu and subs Woodley to become the new champ. Maia truly is unlike anyone else in the welterweight division and it'd be fun to see him defend against many welterweights.

Jon Jones def. Daniel Cormier by TKO to become the NEW Light Heavyweight Champion. I think Jon's gonna come into this one pissed and go for the throat the whole time. In my opinion, Jonny Bones is the greatest fighter the sport has ever seen. He's already decisioned DC, and I think Jon doesn't just want to beat DC, he wants to humiliate him. I think he'll do just that. I see Jones outclassing DC through the entirety of the fight until pounding his face in till the ref stops it.

UFC 214 is just over 16 hours away, and I can't fucking wait.

Just from all the doping in the past and then seeing her go up against yet another woman that she out-sizes by such a huge amount just so the UFC can give her a worthless championship. Plus she also looks disturbingly like Mickey Rourke at this point.

She's only been done for steroids once though, I think. And to be fair, she can only beat who they put in front of her - or those who are willing to stand in front of her (looking at you GDR).

Volkan Oezdemir was POTN for me, vicious short strikes once again. Him or Gustafsson next for Jones I hope, not this Lesnar bullshit. Bad enough that Bisping vs GSP is happening. 

She's had one doping violation while she's been in the UFC and she was absolved of wrong doing in that one and granted a TUE. She had a violation for steroids in Strikeforce, but it's pretty obvious if you compare her time there to her time in the UFC that she's not doing that anymore.

All belts are worthless until they built up those respective divisions. Women's Bantamweight existed solely to pad Rousey's record for the longest time until they got to a point where they were bringing in high caliber fighters after a while. The Women's Featherweight division will be the same way for Cyborg until they start bringing in good fighters, which will eventually happen. The division basically started this year and we're already throwing around the "worthless belt/division" thing? Geez, have some patience.

Also, who cares if she resembles Mickey Rourke or Kim Kardashian, her looks don't even factor into any of this. This is MMA, not runway modeling.

• Like 5

Yeah, talking about the way Cyborg looks is just crazy. Who gives a shit. She whooped the hell out of Evinger who actually appeared to be bigger than her during that fight. Also, like him or hate him, and I'm not very fond of him myself, Jones put on a show in that fight and did exactly what he said he would do. That was a good night of fights outside of the Maia/Woodley fight.

• Like 1